Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

New Cooker required

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
monabri
Lemon Half

Re: New Cooker required

Postby monabri » July 28th, 2021, 11:45 am

I've sent Bouleversee some info by PM.

The oven mentioned, a "Rangemaster 100cm Encore Deluxe Induction Range - Ivory with Chrome Trims" is £2579 - £2849 on Price Runner but then one might add £3/400 for a cooker hood (there are 2 choices, £300 & £400) and £169 for a cooker splashback. Bouleversee mentions a price of £3204 for "the cooker itself"...so it is possible that the supplier has bumped up the price (a handling fee guvnor).

I've also suggested Argos to see if they've got anything of interest on the cooker front.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » July 28th, 2021, 11:52 am

Bouleversee wrote:I did get a quote from a local kitchen fitter for supplying and fitting an electric cooker with induction hob and fitting new consumer unit and fuse board and it came to £4.866 plus ...

Mmm, it mounts up when one has multiple jobs done... I would get an electrician to quote you separately for running a cooker supply and replacing the consumer unit.
(Just as an aside, if you renew the CU it is much better to have RCBOs rather than RCDs as they will eliminate nuisance tripping.)

An electric cooker would just have to be wired into the cooker box, a very simple and routine part of kitchen fitting so no problem with that being done by a different co.

You know a new electric cooker would not have to be 100cm wide..... If one has a hob and a double oven beneath, the width need only be the width of the cubd or unit they sit in/on.
Our hob is this four-plate Siemens, or rather a slightly earlier iteration that I bought s/h on eBay in 2011 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292934191577 ... 1438.l2649 shown here at £754 but one can find it a bit cheaper.
It sits on a cubd 23.5" wide (60cm I believe) and beneath it is a John Lewis double oven that cost I am sure much less than £1,000.
A suitable cupbd and worktop will be relatively peanuts....
The remaining 40cm of width could accommodate a tea towel or a shillelagh or a cat, or something.

If you ever do sell, I believe the kitchen looms large in many folks' buying decisions and the absence of a cooker point might be a negative, so just look on it as a small investment that will enhance the value of the house.

Bouleversee wrote:...a large mirror...not held on by the moulding but by a series of small sticky squares. The joys of being a widow!

Ahhh, double-sided pads, a botcher's friend... but they've done pretty well at 25 years.

Yes, it must be hard by oneself. We have reached the age where I sometimes wonder how my wife will cope alone, and perhaps she wonders the same about me. In different ways we would be OK, in other ways less so.
At least I can reach out for advice through the internet, but she has never been a forum person.
Anyway, as you say, o/t here.

V8

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 28th, 2021, 3:46 pm

Mike4 wrote:Careering off at a tangent, in what way is it "on its last legs"?

I'd have thought there is very little on a range cooker than can't be fixed.

Our Britannia range cooker, despite its reassuringly British name, was actually made by an Italian company called Ilve, and it appeared to have been made from old Alfa Romeos. :lol: The reason we finally chucked it was that the main oven had rusted right through at the back. :shock: But an accumulation of many issues eventually sealed its fate at the age of 22. So no very hard feelings really.

Rust? Ha! I did consider putting in a steel plate to reinforce the rotted oven, but I soon reflected that we probably wouldn't get much sympathy from our insurance company if we did that sort of thing to a gas appliance. (For the avoidance of doubt, may I say that the oven itself was electric?)

The rotted-out oven back also meant that there were only two remaining screws to support the fan. And the thermostat was liable to throw a wobbler. So was my old ticker when I found out that it would cost a couple of hundred for a new one. (The "thermostat" was really just a heat probe, with a complex neural network that connected it to the true stat, which was inside one of the control knobs at the front. And it all had to be replaced in one expensive go. :( )

And then the cast iron supports on the hobs had lost all their enamel, and so a string of co-morbidities led to its sad demise. Why, you can probably still buy the same Britannia model today, except that I imagine they sell it in Germany as the Bismarck, or in France as the Bonaparte. ;)

BJ

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 28th, 2021, 5:58 pm

88V8 wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:I did get a quote from a local kitchen fitter for supplying and fitting an electric cooker with induction hob and fitting new consumer unit and fuse board and it came to £4.866 plus ...

Mmm, it mounts up when one has multiple jobs done... I would get an electrician to quote you separately for running a cooker supply and replacing the consumer unit.
(Just as an aside, if you renew the CU it is much better to have RCBOs rather than RCDs as they will eliminate nuisance tripping.)

An electric cooker would just have to be wired into the cooker box, a very simple and routine part of kitchen fitting so no problem with that being done by a different co.

You know a new electric cooker would not have to be 100cm wide..... If one has a hob and a double oven beneath, the width need only be the width of the cubd or unit they sit in/on.
Our hob is this four-plate Siemens, or rather a slightly earlier iteration that I bought s/h on eBay in 2011 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292934191577 ... 1438.l2649 shown here at £754 but one can find it a bit cheaper.
It sits on a cubd 23.5" wide (60cm I believe) and beneath it is a John Lewis double oven that cost I am sure much less than £1,000.
A suitable cupbd and worktop will be relatively peanuts....
The remaining 40cm of width could accommodate a tea towel or a shillelagh or a cat, or something.

If you ever do sell, I believe the kitchen looms large in many folks' buying decisions and the absence of a cooker point might be a negative, so just look on it as a small investment that will enhance the value of the house.

V8

With respect why put an oven underneath the hob? That is actually the most inconvenient place especially if one is getting older. WE planned ours with the induction hob in the work surface and two ovens at more or less eye to waist height. Makes the controls easy and inserting and extracting dishes more or less at eye level. I would not have anything else.

Dod

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 28th, 2021, 5:59 pm

Dod101 wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:
Dod101 wrote:You need to have pans that are 'magnetic' or at least attract a magnet, iron/steel obviously. They usually have a heavy base and that actually contributes to even heating and cooking but I agree it is quite an investment if starting from scratch. Some of mine are Raymond Blanc and say '5 ply full capped copper base' and 'Induction suitable'. I know nothing about that. My late wife bought them, but they work! They are also indestructable as far as I can tell.

FWIW, we found that only one of our 25 year old pans wouldn't work with the induction hob. (It was a small frying pan of negligible value.) We'd been told that our enamel boiling pans wouldn't work, but no, they're fine as well. :)

BJ

Aluminium pans will not work but with iron or steel content they will. The heavy based ones that I have are probably a bit of a luxury but I do not know. As I said, my late wife bought them She was both a very good cook and also a good researcher.

Dod

Fortunately, all my saucepans are stainless steel and mostly heavy based. I will test the thinner ones with a magnet.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 28th, 2021, 7:29 pm

monabri wrote:I've sent Bouleversee some info by PM.

The oven mentioned, a "Rangemaster 100cm Encore Deluxe Induction Range - Ivory with Chrome Trims" is £2579 - £2849 on Price Runner but then one might add £3/400 for a cooker hood (there are 2 choices, £300 & £400) and £169 for a cooker splashback. Bouleversee mentions a price of £3204 for "the cooker itself"...so it is possible that the supplier has bumped up the price (a handling fee guvnor).

I've also suggested Argos to see if they've got anything of interest on the cooker front.

Thanks again to all. I had an appt. this afternoon so haven't had chance to read them all in detail but will do so later . I don't need a new cooker hood or splashback (the wall is tiled), so the quote was just for the cooker. As Monabri says, quite a difference in the price considering all the installation and removal costs on top. I'll certainly make a trip to the Argos section in my nearest Sainsbury's but I really would like to see any cooker before I buy it.

If one has a range cooker against a tiled wall, where is the cooker point normally situated? Is it Ok to be in an adjacent cupboard under the worktop and can the elec. work be done before removing the old cooker. There would still be the problem of capping off the gas between removal of old and fitting of new if switching to Induction. Incidentally, the cooker will have to go in the existing space in the granite worktop as I certainly don't want to have to replace both of those so the cooker will have to be a 100cm range again of whatever variety.

I don't want another 11 pm supper so that's all for the moment, except to ask if anyone knows anything about Stoves cookers.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » July 30th, 2021, 11:40 am

Bouleversee wrote:If one has a range cooker against a tiled wall, where is the cooker point normally situated? Is it Ok to be in an adjacent cupboard under the worktop and can the elec. work be done before removing the old cooker. There would still be the problem of capping off the gas between removal of old and fitting of new if switching to Induction. Incidentally, the cooker will have to go in the existing space in the granite worktop as I certainly don't want to have to replace both of those so the cooker will have to be a 100cm range again of whatever variety.

I don't want another 11 pm supper so that's all for the moment, except to ask if anyone knows anything about Stoves cookers.

Granite worktop... that alone is almost worth a DAK as I can never understand why anyone would want one of those crockery-smashing stain-collecting worktops in their kitchen :)

If you ask on the Building board one of our resident electricians will know whether a cooker point can go in a cupboard.
I'd be very surprised if the elec work could not be done in advance.

Stoves cookers.. what, like this https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/44 ... _444410255

No idea, but if you're a Which member they seem to have done some testing on range cookers including Stoves.

V8

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 30th, 2021, 12:08 pm

88V8 wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:If one has a range cooker against a tiled wall, where is the cooker point normally situated? Is it Ok to be in an adjacent cupboard under the worktop and can the elec. work be done before removing the old cooker. There would still be the problem of capping off the gas between removal of old and fitting of new if switching to Induction. Incidentally, the cooker will have to go in the existing space in the granite worktop as I certainly don't want to have to replace both of those so the cooker will have to be a 100cm range again of whatever variety.

Granite worktop... that alone is almost worth a DAK as I can never understand why anyone would want one of those crockery-smashing stain-collecting worktops in their kitchen :)

If you ask on the Building board one of our resident electricians will know whether a cooker point can go in a cupboard.

Stoves cookers.. what, like this https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/44 ... _444410255

No idea, but if you're a Which member they seem to have done some testing on range cookers including Stoves.

V8

for info..their (Appliances Direct) installation of the cooker is "from £129" and there is a £19.99 charge to take the old one away.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 30th, 2021, 1:07 pm

88V8 wrote:If you ask on the Building board one of our resident electricians will know whether a cooker point can go in a cupboard.

I'm told that technically there's no specific requirement to have a switchable cooker point at all! But that one of the reasons for having it is so that you can turn it off in a hurry when there's an emergency and the room is filling up with smoke and stuff. The inside of a cupboard wouldn't seem to be a particularly good location. Well, not if the OP's cupboards are anything like ours. :?

BJ

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » July 30th, 2021, 1:20 pm

We bought a new cooker i.e. electric fan oven and 4 plate induction hob, by AEG about a year ago. They are separate units which go into the existing units/worktop. Supplied and fitted by our local hardware shop. All in, it came to about £1000. Very impressed at the time and still impressed. Induction hobs are great, and most of our old pans still worked. The spectrum of reviews Mel read suggested AEG was the best for our price range, and man does my wife know how to find a good deal!

Matt

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 30th, 2021, 2:03 pm

monabri wrote:
88V8 wrote:

V8

for info..their (Appliances Direct) installation of the cooker is "from £129" and there is a £19.99 charge to take the old one away.

Maybe they are not granite, then; I didn't install them but I thought that is what they are. In any event, they are a beautiful marble effect, shiny, black, green and a bit of brown. don't stain and just need a wipe over with a damp cloth.

I hadn't realised there was a Building board and I certainly intend to get professional advice. I should imagine one could switch off quickly at the consumer unit in the hall cupboard.

I was aware that some Stoves range cookers were on Which best buy lists but personal experience is useful confirmation. I will continue my homework as and when I can fit it in with other urgent demands.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 30th, 2021, 4:05 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Maybe they are not granite, then; I didn't install them but I thought that is what they are. In any event, they are a beautiful marble effect, shiny, black, green and a bit of brown. don't stain and just need a wipe over with a damp cloth.

Don't let them bully you into losing confidence. Granite worktops are a luxury feature loved by many, and can be gorgeous. See for example https://www.themarblestore.co.uk/granite-worktops/

I spent quite some time researching the subject before deciding on quartz instead. The reason: what he said (greatly exaggerated) about stains. Granite requires a bit of maintenance - treatment every couple of years - and is more vulnerable than quartz to accidents with something strongly-coloured, or corrosive (like acid or bleach).

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 30th, 2021, 4:40 pm

monabri wrote:
88V8 wrote:

V8

Yes, that is one I was considering, though I would like to have a look at it somewhere. The AD installation quote wouldn't include supply and fit of new consumer unit, etc., and capping off gas supply, etc. Need to sort out that first. I have too many balls in the air at the moment and am in danger of dropping them all.

Lemon Slice

Postby 9873210 » July 30th, 2021, 6:04 pm

At the risk of adding another ball in the air.

If you need a new consumer unit to add a cooker then your electric system is not up to modern expectation. You might want to add some extra capacity rather than the bare minimum needed to add the cooker. A few extra slots in a consumer unit are not expensive and make it much cheaper to add something like air conditioning, an electric car charger, or solar panels in the near future.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 30th, 2021, 10:18 pm

9873210 wrote:At the risk of adding another ball in the air.

If you need a new consumer unit to add a cooker then your electric system is not up to modern expectation. You might want to add some extra capacity rather than the bare minimum needed to add the cooker. A few extra slots in a consumer unit are not expensive and make it much cheaper to add something like air conditioning, an electric car charger, or solar panels in the near future.

Thanks for that useful info. Will bear it in mind. The house was extended by my predecessors and has 2 what I called fuseboxes whose fuses are not labelled. I presume one is for the old part and the other for the new. Also have 2 separate heating systems.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » August 8th, 2021, 9:38 am

Bouleversee wrote:If one has a range cooker against a tiled wall, where is the cooker point normally situated?

Somewhere near the cooker.
As a rule of course, the tiling is done after....

The cooker point need not be obtrusive.
If you look here https://www.carlislebrass.com/products/eurolite/concealed/concealed-3mm and scroll about half way to where it shows 45A switch with socket, there's a choice of cooker points, which would be set in a back box.

If one wishes to bounce any specific building-related thoughts off the Lemon panel, the Building board is here viewforum.php?f=40 just two inches down the main menu from DAK.

V8

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » August 9th, 2021, 8:00 pm

Bouleversee wrote:

Thanks for that useful info. Will bear it in mind. The house was extended by my predecessors and has 2 what I called fuseboxes whose fuses are not labelled. I presume one is for the old part and the other for the new. Also have 2 separate heating systems.

What you need to do is invite a friendly sparky around to dinner to give you an honest appraisal of the minimum cost of installing a cable and cooker outlet between your consumer unit/fuseboard and your kitchen. Just sayin'

Chris

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » August 9th, 2021, 9:46 pm

csearle wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:

What you need to do is invite a friendly sparky around to dinner to give you an honest appraisal of the minimum cost of installing a cable and cooker outlet between your consumer unit/fuseboard and your kitchen. Just sayin'

Chris

What a good idea. I might just do that. I expect my neighbours could recommend someone. :)

Return to “Does anyone know?”