Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

DIY Frappe Latte

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Fluke
Lemon Slice

DIY Frappe Latte

Postby Fluke » June 15th, 2022, 11:27 am

For most of the year I’m a sane, sober americano drinker, 2 shots espresso, water, end of. I’m happy. Come the warm weather of June, July, August however I undergo a transformation and turn into a fully-fledged swivel-eyed frappaholic. Despite the extortionate price of the bloody things, when the urge is upon me I just have to have one. Now, I’m not talking here about Starbuck’s Frappuccino or Costa’s equivalent nor indeed anybody elses, it absolutely has to be Caffè Nero’s Frappe Latte.

I’ve been looking into what it is about them that makes the difference, after all they all have coffee, milk, ice, but Nero have a secret ingredient (well not that secret it’s on their website), it’s called frappe powder. After some investigation I find to my extreme dissatisfaction bordering on horror, that said powder contains the following ingredients:

Sugar, Whey Powder (MILK), Coconut Oil, Maltodextrin, Flavouring, MILK Proteins, Thickener: Guar Gum

There’s not much point asking for your frappe to be made with oat milk when the secret ingredient contains dairy, also it’s high is saturated fat (milk and coconut oil), and as for gum, well.

So my question, now that I’ve got that off my chest is, does anyone know how I might replicate a Nero-style frappe latte without the powder, dairy free and low in saturated fat but not just plain iced coffee?

Now there’s a challenge.

didds
Lemon Half

Re: DIY Frappe Latte

Postby didds » June 15th, 2022, 1:23 pm

As Ive never ever had such a beast I cant really help, but if thats the flavour you want/need then I guess there isn't a way to replicate it without the heavy fat content etc.

personally id try making a keto ice cream with highly whipped double cream and plant based sweetner (CF https://www.ketofocus.com/recipes/keto- ... ice-cream/ - I omit the booze) and make an affogato with it. thats not a frappe obvs but its pretty lush ;-)

(Obvs strawberries just get swapped fro the favouring of choice eg vanilla essence, cocoa powder (for coffee flavour) or whatever)

(apologies - i know this isnt much help!)

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » June 15th, 2022, 1:50 pm

didds wrote:As Ive never ever had such a beast I cant really help, but if thats the flavour you want/need then I guess there isn't a way to replicate it without the heavy fat content etc.

personally id try making a keto ice cream with highly whipped double cream and plant based sweetner (CF https://www.ketofocus.com/recipes/keto- ... ice-cream/ - I omit the booze) and make an affogato with it. thats not a frappe obvs but its pretty lush ;-)

(Obvs strawberries just get swapped fro the favouring of choice eg vanilla essence, cocoa powder (for coffee flavour) or whatever)

(apologies - i know this isnt much help!)

Agreed it does look lush but it fails rather dramatically on the sat fat front, as does nearly everything keto, they go mad for the stuff that lot, it's a wonder there's a clear coronary artery between them. I suppose I could swap out the heavy cream for something else, I'll have a think.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 15th, 2022, 2:55 pm

I think the approach is its not a diet alone, its also exercise etc... so one runs/walks/whatever the fat calories off. Whilst avoiding boloo0d spiking sugars.

But that's no worse than all that gum, coconut oil and dairy fat in the OP anyway ?

Of course one could just use/make "normal" ice cream which is full of all that dairy fat AND high GI sugars to boot :)

Return to “Does anyone know?”