Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Disabling Barclaycard RFID

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
XFool
The full Lemon

Disabling Barclaycard RFID

Postby XFool » February 15th, 2023, 11:28 am

I have a Contactless Cashback Barclaycard credit card, old style nothing 'moderne'.

I badly need to disable its RFID, it being impossible to get a non Contactless Barclaycard. I thought I had succeeded, but a trip to Aldi this morning - to buy groceries and test the card - shows I failed.

At first it seemed to work (that is NOT work) but I persisted and unfortunately the transaction went through "CONTACTLESS". So, back to the drawing board.

I originally scored all around the chip contact area on the front of the card with a sharp knife. Further, using the old expired card I had bent the old card along the side seams of the chip contact area, revealing two fine copper wires. One appearing to go to the top left and one to the top right of the chip contact area - seeming to confirm I was on the right track with my scoring technique on the current card.

But, so far, it hasn't worked!

Why not? Because I haven't managed to cut through both wires - despite them being very fine and easily exposed to view by bending back the old card as above? Could it be that the aerial has been severed from the chip but nevertheless the chip is still sensitive enough to work directly with remaining stubs? (Yet I thought the aerial needed to supply power to the chip wirelessly, which I can't see working if the aerial loop has been severed)

My only new thought is to try gluing aluminium foil to the rear of the card (but might this enhance the aerial?) and revisiting Aldi. This could go on for some time...

Does anyone here have any direct experience of successfully disabling RFID on such a card? If so, can they advise?

TIA

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Disabling Barclaycard RFID

Postby pje16 » February 15th, 2023, 11:36 am

not sure if it works but this guy butchered it
https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/commen ... edit_card/

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 15th, 2023, 11:44 am

...LOL.

Sadly, from that description, the situation with his debit card appears identical to that with my Barclaycard credit card. :(

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » February 15th, 2023, 11:49 am

XFool wrote:I badly need to disable its RFID

Why?

Rob

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » February 15th, 2023, 11:50 am

I have no interest in doing this.

However, a search engine provided this link.
https://www.instructables.com/Disabling ... bit-Cards/
Apparently, with an X-ray of the card, you can identify where to cut. In the case mentioned, removing a corner of the card worked.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » February 15th, 2023, 1:13 pm

If you want to see what's inside a contactless card, watch this....

BBC iPlayer wrote:Hannah Fry dissolves a bank card to reveal the hidden technology inside.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0dcy7nm

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » February 15th, 2023, 2:01 pm

Breelander wrote:If you want to see what's inside a contactless card, watch this....

BBC iPlayer wrote:Hannah Fry dissolves a bank card to reveal the hidden technology inside.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0dcy7nm

saw that a while ago
well worth a look

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 15th, 2023, 2:13 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:I have no interest in doing this.

However, a search engine provided this link.
https://www.instructables.com/Disabling ... bit-Cards/
Apparently, with an X-ray of the card, you can identify where to cut. In the case mentioned, removing a corner of the card worked.

"Since I have access to a micro-CT scanner at the University of Huddersfield Centre for Precision Technologies, I thought I'd put my card in the machine, take a 2d xray still and allow myself to find the quickest and easiest way to disable it."

That sounds like a useful bit of kit for these complicated days. :)

The cut off at corner approach, according to a posted comment, may cause problems at an ATM. This shouldn't bother me as it is a credit card and I never use it at ATMs. Still, be warned.

Meanwhile, I have discovered the ideal tool for 'chip gouging', a sharp metal tooth pick. It fits perfectly into the channel between chip contact area and plastic card and permits reliable, steady, concentrated, gouging. Using a very high powered lens, copper was sighted at the top two segments of the contact area - agreeing with my observations on the destroyed old credit card. Further gouging and the use of the single lens 'microscope' appears to confirm these have now been gouged through.

My card reader confirms Chip & PIN still working. Unfortunately, as I don't currently have a smart phone, I can't determine its RFID status, so another trip to Aldi or elsewhere is called for. I will report results when available.

Meanwhile, negotiations with Transport for London are ongoing. :roll:

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Postby MyNameIsUrl » February 15th, 2023, 2:40 pm

XFool wrote:I originally scored all around the chip contact area on the front of the card with a sharp knife.

I think you're in the wrong place. Try cutting a few mm into the bottom edge of the card - the antenna forms a loop close to the edge of the card. Cut with sharp knife, don't score.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 15th, 2023, 2:49 pm

MyNameIsUrl wrote:
XFool wrote:I originally scored all around the chip contact area on the front of the card with a sharp knife.

I think you're in the wrong place. Try cutting a few mm into the bottom edge of the card - the antenna forms a loop close to the edge of the card. Cut with sharp knife, don't score.

But the aerial has to connect to the chip and the RFID chip is combined with the Chip & PIN chip, there is only one chip per card. So isolating the chip from its surroundings ought to work and, as per my later post, I have now definitely scored through two pieces of copper at the top of the chip connector. I suspect my first attempt with the knife didn't go far enough in.

But I will have to wait 'til next time I go shopping to see if it has now been a success.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » February 15th, 2023, 3:49 pm

XFool wrote:I have a Contactless Cashback Barclaycard credit card, old style nothing 'moderne'.

I badly need to disable its RFID, it being impossible to get a non Contactless Barclaycard.

Perversely Barclays allow customers to turn off contactless on their debit cards but not their credit cards.

Nice customer service by Barclays.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » February 15th, 2023, 4:14 pm

While I can't see a reason to disable contactless, I can't understand why the likes of Barclaycard don't offer the option.

It's not a matter of different hardware, the chip in a card is actually a small computer running a program. It could be instructed to not use RFID.

Likewise, the POS has to check if the card is allowed to transact, it would be simple to communicate, either from the card or POS that it's a contactless transaction associated with the given account and block accordingly. That's clearly the way MBNA do it, as you can turn on or off contactless yourself, without using the card.

https://www.mbna.co.uk/online-services/ ... &ccconthlp
Contactless transactions- freeze contactless transactions worldwide. Including digital wallets such as Apple Pay and Google Pay.

It might be worth voting with your wallet, rather than messing around with a scalpel.

Ps, I've been happy with MBNA for decades, but binned Barclaycard when I left Barclays in disgust.

SteelCamel
2 Lemon pips

Postby SteelCamel » February 15th, 2023, 4:57 pm

XFool wrote:But the aerial has to connect to the chip and the RFID chip is combined with the Chip & PIN chip, there is only one chip per card. So isolating the chip from its surroundings ought to work and, as per my later post, I have now definitely scored through two pieces of copper at the top of the chip connector. I suspect my first attempt with the knife didn't go far enough in.

At radio frequency, it doesn't need to connect as in be physically touching. RF signals can easily jump small gaps. So if you've cut the wires but the cut ends are only microns apart, the RF signal will go through almost as if there was no cut. You need to make a wider cut to block RF signals - I don't know how wide it needs to be, but if there's no visible gap it's almost certainly not wide enough.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 15th, 2023, 9:55 pm

XFool wrote:
MyNameIsUrl wrote:

But the aerial has to connect to the chip and the RFID chip is combined with the Chip & PIN chip, there is only one chip per card. So isolating the chip from its surroundings ought to work and, as per my later post, I have now definitely scored through two pieces of copper at the top of the chip connector. I suspect my first attempt with the knife didn't go far enough in.

But I will have to wait 'til next time I go shopping to see if it has now been a success.

You might be able to see the tracks running from the chip if you put a suitably bright light source behind the card - or have a big enough magnifying glass

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » February 16th, 2023, 1:10 am

XFool wrote:Does anyone here have any direct experience of successfully disabling RFID on such a card? If so, can they advise?

Yes. Twice. As previously reported at viewtopic.php?p=548559#p548559.

You don't need to score all around the chip, just at the sides. That's worked for me. Twice. You also don't have to wait until going to the supermarket to test it, you can get RFID card reader apps on your phone. See link.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 16th, 2023, 8:19 am

...adding my experience (if successful!), it really helps to have a strong lens/microscope to be able to see what is going on.

Again, I would recommend a sharp, metal, dental toothpick as the ideal tool for the job.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 16th, 2023, 9:48 am

XFool wrote:...adding my experience (if successful!), it really helps to have a strong lens/microscope to be able to see what is going on.

Again, I would recommend a sharp, metal, dental toothpick as the ideal tool for the job.

Dental toothpicks are a God-send in this kind of thing; there's no better tool for lifting a leg! (Though you can make two decent approximations out of a decent pair of tweezers ;) )

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » February 16th, 2023, 12:30 pm

robbelg wrote:
XFool wrote:I badly need to disable its RFID

Why?

Rob

Safety, security and that thing that our lords and masters want us consumers to believe that we still have, ....what's it called? Oh yes, Freedom of choice. 8-)

Given that people often touch their card on the wrong part of the reader, I don't see that sliding your card in and typing four numbers takes much longer.

Steve

PS I have disabled two cards simply by making one or two small cuts with a razor into the card on the short edge that faces you when you slide it in. Simply practise first on a few old expired cards and see if they make a reader go 'ping'.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » February 16th, 2023, 1:34 pm

RFID only works over very short distances. It's more like a modulated transformer than "radio". The card has to be close enough to the reader to take power from it.

You are probably at greater risk with chip and pin, as you are subjecting your pin to unknown machines which could grab your number - or you could be watched.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » February 17th, 2023, 12:51 am

SteelCamel wrote:
XFool wrote:But the aerial has to connect to the chip and the RFID chip is combined with the Chip & PIN chip, there is only one chip per card. So isolating the chip from its surroundings ought to work and, as per my later post, I have now definitely scored through two pieces of copper at the top of the chip connector. I suspect my first attempt with the knife didn't go far enough in.

At radio frequency, it doesn't need to connect as in be physically touching. RF signals can easily jump small gaps. So if you've cut the wires but the cut ends are only microns apart, the RF signal will go through almost as if there was no cut. You need to make a wider cut to block RF signals - I don't know how wide it needs to be, but if there's no visible gap it's almost certainly not wide enough.
This is almost exactly the answer I was about to post. A small gap at such frequencies is just another way of describing a capacitor, which is a device frequently used in series along the RF signal path for various reasons including decoupling the DC biasing point of one stage of the electronics from the next.

Seems to me like a totally pointless exercise anyway. The interlocutor has to be very close; and anyway the banks are so very keen to promote their stuff that in my experience any fraud of any kind is almost immediately refunded.

C.

Return to “Does anyone know?”