Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Friend requests from Facebook?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
didds
Lemon Half

Re: Friend requests from Facebook?

Postby didds » November 5th, 2023, 11:29 am

mutantpoodle wrote:while on subject of FB.......

if I 'unfriend' someone,,,does it show somewhere...do they get told I no longer want friendship??

No.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 5th, 2023, 11:30 am

Arborbridge wrote:PS I do get amusing ones on Instagram. Almost always some buxom young wench who starts following me. When you check her account, she made have made a few saucy posts or maybe only one but her record shows she follows lots and lots of men.
It's pretty clear what these pathetic women ( if they even exist!) are after. It just amuses me that they think I'm that gullible.

Arb.

Its probably not "them". Certainly not a real person. Unless that real person is called Vanya and operates out of a basement flat in the ex Eastern bloc, for quasi nefarious reasons.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 5th, 2023, 11:38 am

DrFfybes wrote:
Hypster wrote:I signed up for Facebook once, purely to see local village announcements/news/gossip. I never added "friends", never added profile information, or a photo. I never posted, just logged in to read posts.

After a week, I got a message saying I had been banned for breaking their rules.

I had similar - apparently it is a requirement ot have a photograph, and in my 'alert' this was explained as the reason.

? I joined Facebook yonks ago, just for looking only, and I've not uploaded a photo and I've had nothing similar.

Indeed, I've given it very little info about me at all, just the mandatory fields: my name, DoB, gender and email address. That's it. No photo, and I've never posted and never filled in any of the other info they seem to like you to provide....

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » November 5th, 2023, 11:53 am

mc2fool wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:I had similar - apparently it is a requirement ot have a photograph, and in my 'alert' this was explained as the reason.

? I joined Facebook yonks ago, just for looking only, and I've not uploaded a photo and I've had nothing similar.

Indeed, I've given it very little info about me at all, just the mandatory fields: my name, DoB, gender and email address. That's it. No photo, and I've never posted and never filled in any of the other info they seem to like you to provide....

If you want to join and post in Groups then you do need to provide a bit more info.

If you create an account jsut to view info like the menu at the local pub or look up details of a band then you don't.

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » November 5th, 2023, 12:41 pm

Yes, I only friend people i actually know or met in person.

One safety feature is not to post "your at the airport" or holiday photos, as advertises your not in. Silly people need to announce their at Manchester Airport.

I hide birthday and delete birthday post, as DoB can be used in identity theft.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 5th, 2023, 1:03 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
mc2fool wrote:? I joined Facebook yonks ago, just for looking only, and I've not uploaded a photo and I've had nothing similar.

If you want to join and post in Groups then you do need to provide a bit more info.

If you create an account jsut to view info like the menu at the local pub or look up details of a band then you don't.

Not forgetting that your photo can be of anyone, or that your details allow you to use your imagination.

The day that FB wants real proof of ID/address is the day I log off everywhere for good! :?

Steve

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 5th, 2023, 2:58 pm

DrFfybes wrote:...2 of the 5 oldest have been dead for several years.

So you could safely add them. That might be interesting.

V8

torata
Lemon Slice

Postby torata » November 5th, 2023, 11:10 pm

didds wrote:
mutantpoodle wrote:while on subject of FB.......

if I 'unfriend' someone,,,does it show somewhere...do they get told I no longer want friendship??

No.

Facebook itself doesn't but I use an addon called 'facebook purity' (or fluffbuster purity, now) to get rid of the ads. That tells me if someone has unfriended me.

torata

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 6th, 2023, 9:33 am

gryffron wrote:Outright con artists. Your attractive young Lady from California is probably a sweatshop in Mumbai.

You think so? My immediate reaction to that kind of thing is "bot".

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » November 6th, 2023, 9:35 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
gryffron wrote:Outright con artists. Your attractive young Lady from California is probably a sweatshop in Mumbai.

You think so? My immediate reaction to that kind of thing is "bot".

Exactly.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » November 6th, 2023, 10:41 am

Dicky99 wrote:I wonder if it's a similar thing to LinkedIn. I found it puzzling how frequently someone who worked in my office but who had little contact with me would supposedly want to link with me. So on one occasion after such an invite I went and asked the person whether they'd sent me a LinkedIn invite and they said no but they had received an invite from me.

All about 'how to create a good profile' and trying to inflate contact numbers etc to show how 'connected' you are. I have to say it became a real pain particularly after foreign business trips I would receive a deluge of invites to 'link' from many of the people I had met just once and was unlikely to ever meet them again. Invariably I would not accept but this does become a problem with clients - who could take offence!

I always tried to keep my links down to around 100 or so - otherwise the requests became exponential as you get the 'request' to link up with someone who is linked up with someone you are linked with.

T7

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 6th, 2023, 3:10 pm

terminal7 wrote:
Dicky99 wrote:I wonder if it's a similar thing to LinkedIn. I found it puzzling how frequently someone who worked in my office but who had little contact with me would supposedly want to link with me. So on one occasion after such an invite I went and asked the person whether they'd sent me a LinkedIn invite and they said no but they had received an invite from me.

All about 'how to create a good profile' and trying to inflate contact numbers etc to show how 'connected' you are. I have to say it became a real pain particularly after foreign business trips I would receive a deluge of invites to 'link' from many of the people I had met just once and was unlikely to ever meet them again. Invariably I would not accept but this does become a problem with clients - who could take offence!

I always tried to keep my links down to around 100 or so - otherwise the requests became exponential as you get the 'request' to link up with someone who is linked up with someone you are linked with.

T7

But could you not set up another account just for business contacts?

I have a friend who is a teacher in a secondary school. He has a FB account with his real, unfortunately rather uncommon name, which he ignores, and another FB account where he uses a very common surname, after informing 'friends'. It works very well. The sprogs at his school don't know where he is.

Steve

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » November 6th, 2023, 5:02 pm

stevensfo wrote:
terminal7 wrote:

T7

But could you not set up another account just for business contacts?

I have a friend who is a teacher in a secondary school. He has a FB account with his real, unfortunately rather uncommon name, which he ignores, and another FB account where he uses a very common surname, after informing 'friends'. It works very well. The sprogs at his school don't know where he is.

Steve

Could yes but I opted to retire instead. By way of answer to the OP'S question I meant that the "friends" who he was puzzled at them wanting to be friends might actually have no idea that they have invited him to be friends.

Return to “Does anyone know?”