Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Wind containers

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
csearle
Lemon Quarter

Wind containers

Postby csearle » November 2nd, 2023, 6:08 pm

A friend of mine has a row of shipping containers running around the perimeter of his car park. Between some of them there are gaps, about two container-widths each. He has built a sturdy timber frame like a roof between them with corrugated sheets (galv I think) attached to the top. (He builds timber-frame structures as a(nother) living so he is very good at this sort of thing.

We were mulling over the effects of strong winds today. We were wondering if these structures would be more, or less, stressed were he to build rear walls or fences to stop the wind rushing through. I have no idea. As it is there is mainly thin shrubbery and a few small trees behind most of them.

So the question is: is it better to let the wind whip through, or is it better to block off the ends to stop the wind whipping through?

Chris

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: Wind containers

Postby Gerry557 » November 2nd, 2023, 6:43 pm

Without rear walls it will be less stressed as the wind can't apply pressure. With a wall it becomes a big balloon. More surface area etc

I suppose the direction might make a difference but imagine a tent being blown over in high winds compared to how the wind would just rush through just it's frame.

Obviously if the wind gets too strong it move even the frame and or the containers

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 2nd, 2023, 6:47 pm

csearle wrote:A friend of mine has a row of shipping containers running around the perimeter of his car park. Between some of them there are gaps, about two container-widths each. He had built a sturdy timber frame like a roof between them with corrugated sheets (galv I think) attached to the top. (He builds timber-frame structures as a(nother) living so he is very good at this sort of thing.

We were mulling over the effects of strong winds today. We were wondering if these structures would be more, or less, stressed were he to build rear walls or fences to stop the wind rushing through. I have no idea. As it is there is mainly thin shrubbery and a few small trees behind most of them.

So the question is: is it better to let the wind whip through, or is it better to block off the ends to stop the wind whipping through?

So does he want to keep the wind out for comfort, or because it may damage the roofs?

Fences create a vortex on the lee side as the wind goes over the top.
The best thing would be to filter the wind with more shrubs and trees, if he owns that part of the land.

V8

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » November 2nd, 2023, 7:26 pm

88V8 wrote:So does he want to keep the wind out for comfort, or because it may damage the roofs?
Because it may damage the roofs.

88V8 wrote:The best thing would be to filter the wind with more shrubs and trees, if he owns that part of the land.
He doesn't.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » November 3rd, 2023, 10:28 am

csearle wrote:
88V8 wrote:So does he want to keep the wind out for comfort, or because it may damage the roofs?
Because it may damage the roofs.

Then definitely NO walls. Allowing the wind to simply blow through the gaps is better than trying to stop it.

I watched a documentary on wind testing for hurricanes. Completely sealed building were safe. But a small opening in the building, even a single open door or window, creates positive or negative pressure inside, either of which can quickly destroy roofs. So unless you can make the enclosed structure COMPLETELY windproof from all directions, you're better leaving the biggest gaps possible.

Gryff

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 3rd, 2023, 11:07 am

gryffron wrote:
csearle wrote: Because it may damage the roofs.

Then definitely NO walls. Allowing the wind to simply blow through the gaps is better than trying to stop it.

I watched a documentary on wind testing for hurricanes. Completely sealed building were safe. But a small opening in the building, even a single open door or window, creates positive or negative pressure inside, either of which can quickly destroy roofs. So unless you can make the enclosed structure COMPLETELY windproof from all directions, you're better leaving the biggest gaps possible.

Gryff
You remind me of the severe gales in 1963. We lived in a small village in the Peak District, with a U-shaped valley to the west. The wind came along both legs, then merged as it climbed over the ridge and accelerated. One of our neighbours had a wooden garage and the side door blew open, the roof lifted and blew across the road and the sides collapsed. Fortunately my concrete garage was unscathed, but a young cucumber plant was uprooted.

Quite spectacular to observe. All the telephone wires were festooned with grass. Sheffield suffered quite a lot of damage.

TJH

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » November 7th, 2023, 3:57 pm

gryffron wrote:I watched a documentary on wind testing for hurricanes. Completely sealed building were safe. But a small opening in the building, even a single open door or window, creates positive or negative pressure inside, either of which can quickly destroy roofs. So unless you can make the enclosed structure COMPLETELY windproof from all directions, you're better leaving the biggest gaps possible.

I read a novel long ago, part was set on an island in hurricane season and when the storm came the locals fled to high ground after lashing all their doors and windows open. There was a tale of superstition about the hurricane sprites getting trapped in, not being able to get out and bursting through the rooves.

Return to “Does anyone know?”