Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Poinsettia

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Poinsettia

Postby Dicky99 » November 6th, 2023, 1:41 pm

I noticed that by the last week in October Tesco already had poinsettia in stock.
I do like a Christmas poinsettia or two but I'd be mad to buy in October because however I try to manage them they start shedding about an hour after I get home, but if I buy in mid December they're okay looking until just after New Year by which time they're looking somewhat diminished.
DAK of a fool proof way of reducing the shedding or is it just a matter of accepting them for what they are, a wonderfully brief display.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Poinsettia

Postby bungeejumper » November 6th, 2023, 3:18 pm

They should last till Xmas with no fuss at all. Don't over-water, and don't let them get below about 12C, though, because they'll droop and not come back. Don't ask me how I know. :|

As some may know, professional growers persuade poinsettias to turn red by convincing them that it's midwinter. Their greenhouses have computer-controlled blinds that ensure at least 12 daily hours of complete darkness, followed by bright light - and I'm told that even the slightest timing glitch (by even ten minutes) can be enough to make the whole lot unsaleable. Ouch!

BJ

Return to “Does anyone know?”