Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Royal Mail parcel tracking

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Royal Mail parcel tracking

Postby bungeejumper » December 14th, 2023, 11:38 am

I'm trying to assign this problem to cock-up rather than conspiracy, but so far I'm getting nowhere. Any thoughts?

About two weeks ago, I ordered a Christmas pressie for my wife from Amazon - although as it turned out, Amazon were merely "fulfilling" a sale by a third party vendor. Anyway, the item is now ten days past its scheduled delivery date (which Amazon concedes). The trouble is, the order seems to have fallen into a black hole which has devoured all trace of it. :(

Amazon says I can't cancel the order because it's been despatched. The vendor tells me that it's been sent to Royal Mail parcels, and it's given me a Royal Mail tracking code. The Royal Mail tracking website says my code isn't valid, because the parcel hasn't been received yet. (Presumably, that means it's not been received from the vendor?)

But how can that be, if it's been assigned a Royal Mail tracking code?

So, to recap. Amazon says I can only have a refund if I take up my complaint with the vendor. The vendor says I'll have to take it up with Royal Mail. And Royal Mail says that (so far) the parcel doesn't exist! Yeah, right, and I can't cancel the order either because the vendor says it's on its way (although running a week and a half late.) :evil:

Ho hum, and the 25th is bearing down on us like an express train. I've re-ordered the product from Amazon itself, and it's due here tomorrow via Prime, and I'll have to sort out the mess about my original order in due course. If it ever arrives, I'll send it back for missing its delivery date. But I fear that it's been (a) binned in a lay-by or (b) half-inched to make somebody else's Christmas a little brighter.

Any more charitable explanations?

TIA

BJ

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Re: Royal Mail parcel tracking

Postby scotview » December 14th, 2023, 12:35 pm

Was it being delivered from China ?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 14th, 2023, 12:59 pm

scotview wrote:Was it being delivered from China ?

LOL, no, from Liverpool....

BJ

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 14th, 2023, 1:15 pm

bungeejumper wrote:The vendor tells me that it's been sent to Royal Mail parcels, and it's given me a Royal Mail tracking code. The Royal Mail tracking website says my code isn't valid, because the parcel hasn't been received yet. (Presumably, that means it's not been received from the vendor?)

Because anyone can buy the postage, including tracking, online, print off the label, which will include the tracking bar code, themselves, stick it on the parcel and drop it into a postbox (or Parcel Postbox, or at a Post Office, or have them collect it). So, the tracking code gets assigned the moment they pay for the postage online.

Start here: https://send.royalmail.com/send/youritem?country=GBR&format&weight=&weightUnit=G

I'd get back to the vendor and tell them that according to the Royal Mail site Royal Mail haven't yet received the parcel from them, which makes it a problem between them and Royal Mail, not you.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » December 14th, 2023, 1:34 pm

mc2fool wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:But how can that be, if it's been assigned a Royal Mail tracking code?

Because anyone can buy the postage, including tracking, online, print off the label, which will include the tracking bar code, themselves, stick it on the parcel and drop it into a postbox (or Parcel Postbox, or at a Post Office, or have them collect it). So, the tracking code gets assigned the moment they pay for the postage online.

Exactly - when I send Ebay sales I do this, and if I buy the postage through Ebay they automatically send the tracking no to the buyer and tell them it is on its way (which is technically untrue). Later that day or the following morning I always take it to the PO counter, where it is scanned in, I get a proof of posting, and the tracking system updates to "received from Sender".

So we can surmise that the sender did not hand it to the PO in a suitable fashion.

Paul

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » December 14th, 2023, 2:46 pm

Had similar problem with Jackie's Kids last month. 13th showed Royal Mail tracking number and dispatched (origanal delivery was 17th). Then email saying delay on 17th but no word of where or what delay was. No answer on email or facebook, phone number was Austria but email was UK. Eventually found a forum that mentioned similar and that eventually it would turn up. Over week later it appeared on Royal Mail and 3 days later it turned up. Then got bombarded with "offers" from them. Decided "long barge pole" was too short for this site.

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » December 14th, 2023, 2:58 pm

You could enquire with your bank because if it doesn't arrive and the seller denies you a refund you're likely covered by section 75 credit card protection or debit card charge back.

https://www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/every ... 0a%20claim.

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » December 14th, 2023, 2:59 pm

bungeejumper wrote:I'm trying to assign this problem to cock-up rather than conspiracy, but so far I'm getting nowhere. Any thoughts?

About two weeks ago, I ordered a Christmas pressie for my wife from Amazon - although as it turned out, Amazon were merely "fulfilling" a sale by a third party vendor. Anyway, the item is now ten days past its scheduled delivery date (which Amazon concedes). The trouble is, the order seems to have fallen into a black hole which has devoured all trace of it. :(

Amazon says I can't cancel the order because it's been despatched. The vendor tells me that it's been sent to Royal Mail parcels, and it's given me a Royal Mail tracking code. The Royal Mail tracking website says my code isn't valid, because the parcel hasn't been received yet. (Presumably, that means it's not been received from the vendor?)

So, to recap. Amazon says I can only have a refund if I take up my complaint with the vendor. The vendor says I'll have to take it up with Royal Mail. And Royal Mail says that (so far) the parcel doesn't exist! Yeah, right, and I can't cancel the order either because the vendor says it's on its way (although running a week and a half late.) :evil:

Ho hum, and the 25th is bearing down on us like an express train. I've re-ordered the product from Amazon itself, and it's due here tomorrow via Prime, and I'll have to sort out the mess about my original order in due course. If it ever arrives, I'll send it back for missing its delivery date. But I fear that it's been (a) binned in a lay-by or (b) half-inched to make somebody else's Christmas a little brighter.

Any more charitable explanations?

TIA

BJ

I'm very sympathetic!
Your problem far exceeds mine in scale - I'm only in for a couple of quid, but the behaviour of the vendor and RM is is utter rubbish.
I've notified the vendor of non receipt after seeing the tracking reports as delivered.
All I get is a similar reply about checking outer areas and asking neighbours.
Same message about 5~6 times now - just auto-response
So I'll keep messaging the vendor and will do until they get sick of it and do something.
Perhaps you could try to recall any payment from card provider

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 14th, 2023, 3:23 pm

Thanks all, I'll give a few more days before I lose any sleep - after all, I've organised a replacement for the present, so that's the immediate crisis sorted. And I will then get onto them for refund - or if need be, to Amazon. And then, if need still be, my bank. :)

Cheers again

BJ

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 14th, 2023, 10:36 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Thanks all, I'll give a few more days before I lose any sleep - after all, I've organised a replacement for the present, so that's the immediate crisis sorted. And I will then get onto them for refund - or if need be, to Amazon. And then, if need still be, my bank. :)

Cheers again

BJ

I've just had a very similar thing happen to me

In my case it was a gift sold via one Amazon coming from another Amazon that gave me traking in one country and the appearance of it landing in another only to be abruptly refunded a week later - leaving the tracking number live and apparently the item in limbo.

According to the customer service people there can be a disconnection between the item and the paperwork when it involves large organistions or drop shippers. In effect "the Post" can scan paperwork from the sellers/fulfilment bods without the item being present and then wait for scans to match up from a different part of the system; typically this will be customs.

Unfortunately even if you choose the location of your seller it doesn't mean the goods aren't sitting on a pallette in some remote free trade zone :(

-sd

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 30th, 2023, 12:56 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Because anyone can buy the postage, including tracking, online, print off the label, which will include the tracking bar code, themselves, stick it on the parcel and drop it into a postbox (or Parcel Postbox, or at a Post Office, or have them collect it). So, the tracking code gets assigned the moment they pay for the postage online.

Exactly - when I send Ebay sales I do this, and if I buy the postage through Ebay they automatically send the tracking no to the buyer and tell them it is on its way (which is technically untrue). Later that day or the following morning I always take it to the PO counter, where it is scanned in, I get a proof of posting, and the tracking system updates to "received from Sender".

A little OT but ... for the label, do you just print out on normal A4 paper, cut to size and glue it to the parcel, or do you use specific size sticky labels that you can put into a normal A4 inkjet (and if so, where do you get them) or .... do something else?

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » December 30th, 2023, 1:54 pm

mc2fool wrote:A little OT but ... for the label, do you just print out on normal A4 paper, cut to size and glue it to the parcel, or do you use specific size sticky labels that you can put into a normal A4 inkjet (and if so, where do you get them) or .... do something else?

A4, scissors, and sellotape :)

DeepSporran
Lemon Pip

Postby DeepSporran » December 30th, 2023, 8:03 pm

If the local Royal Mail delivery office is convenient, you can take your parcel there. They will scan the QR code from your confirmation email and print an adhesive label for you when you hand over the parcel. Very convenient if you can fit in with their rather restricted opening hours.

I speak from personal experience 2 days ago. Arrived at the place at 1500 to discover they’re open on Thursdays from 0800 till 1000 and again from 1600 till 1800. Grrr.

6Tricia
2 Lemon pips

Postby 6Tricia » December 30th, 2023, 8:31 pm

When making the decision as to how to make an accepted return to Amazon, scroll down the email to where it says that Royal Mail will pick up your parcel and gives you time and date, usually next working day or to suit you. In some cases the Royal Mail confirmation email even says not to worry about printing the label, they will bring it with them! I find this a great service and always use it when I need to return a "free returns " item to Amazon.
Still a bit off topic, sorry!

Tricia

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 30th, 2023, 10:41 pm

Wherever possible, pay by PayPal.

I was pleased I'd done this a few weeks ago. A handful of boiler spares purchased from a supposedly reputable company's website never arrived. Company gave me all the usual automated "We've delivered it, check your outbuidlings etc" clichés. Careful checking of their website found a dispatch note showing it dispatched to an obsolete and long ago-updated invoice address on my account. I grabbed a screenshot of this and told them their systems have mucked up. Cheekily they said they'd try to arrange an 'uplift' of the mis-delivered goods and if successful I could have a refund. No further comms from them other than a request I make a 75 mile round trip to visit the address and try to collect my parcel!

I raised a non-delivery dispute and supplied the screenshot with PayPal, who after a few days sent me a refund.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 8th, 2024, 3:48 pm

Resurrecting an old thread I know, but I just read the DHL tracking info, and their terminology is a bit different to mine.

It says in large red letters

ORDER RECEIVED

And then, a few blank lines underneath, followed by

We've received the details of your Acme Landmines Ltd order and are waiting to receive the parcel.

So it seems couriers use "Order" to mean "Instruction to collect" whereas Screwfix say "Your Order is ready for collection" where "Order" means "Parcel".

Paul

Return to “Does anyone know?”