Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown, for Donating to support the site

Ebac washing machine

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Ebac washing machine

Postby Imbiber » December 24th, 2023, 10:15 am

My apologies if this is the wrong board.
Does anyone have any experience of using Ebac washing machines? The seven year guarantee seems to imply reliability

Thank you

nautical

Re: Ebac washing machine

Postby nautical » December 26th, 2023, 3:15 pm

We bought an Ebac 8kg model around 15 months ago as our previous machine packed up after 20 years service and wasn't going to be an economic repair. The original machine was from one of the more expensive white goods manufacturers, and replacing like-for-like would have cost around double the £599 we paid for our Ebac (now available for less than this). The replacement for the original brand would also have come with "only" a 5 year warranty, against the Ebac's 7 years. Not all warranties are equal of course and, to date, we haven't had to test it.

So far, Mrs N has been very pleased, though the extra £25 we paid for installation was a waste of time as the two guys seemed pretty clueless when faced with something that wasn't quite textbook. I'm no expert, but having completed the installation myself and made the company aware, they agreed to refund the £25.

Nautical

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » December 26th, 2023, 8:40 pm

Imbiber wrote:The seven year guarantee seems to imply reliability

Not a dig at Ebac but I don't take any notice of 'long' guarantees.

I recently had to buy a new tumble dryer (a well known brand) which came with an extended guarantee. However, reading the small print, the 'guarantee' only extends to parts (not labour) and only if they are replaced by their own techies. They don't say what the hourly rate/call out charge is for their own people. It also precludes fitting the part yourself or using a cheaper local repair service.

Thus, a long guarantee offers them a longer period to extract their set labour charge from unsuspecting consumers.

y0rkiebar
2 Lemon pips

Postby y0rkiebar » December 26th, 2023, 9:08 pm

The ebac 7 year guarantee wording:

7-year parts and labour guarantee
Not only are all parts guaranteed, but the labour costs of repairing the machine are covered too. You cannot buy a more comprehensive washing machine guarantee than the one you receive from Ebac. All labour associated with the repair is included. No small print, no exceptions - Ebac covers all costs.

Seems good to me.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » December 26th, 2023, 9:26 pm

Maroochydore wrote:I recently had to buy a new tumble dryer (a well known brand) which came with an extended guarantee. However, reading the small print, the 'guarantee' only extends to parts (not labour) and only if they are replaced by their own techies. They don't say what the hourly rate/call out charge is for their own people. It also precludes fitting the part yourself or using a cheaper local repair service.

I am guessing that you are referring to the Hotpoint/Indesit 10 year parts guarantee. It is a fixed price repair. I think the price depends upon the appliance type and if it is over 5 years old. It can be worthwhile for a major repair such as washing-machine bearings (which usually mean a new drum assembly). The part could be about £160 without labour, whereas a repair is £130. A minor repair (such as an inlet valve) is charged at the same rate, however.

The Ebac guarantee is both parts and labour.

Julian F. G. W.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 27th, 2023, 1:38 am

Surely you should expect more than 7 years from any brand of washing machine that makes its way into the Usual Suspect retailers? The cost to them of offering the warranty should be minimal, and if you account for it as marketing/PR budget, it looks like money well-spent.

FWIW, my ebac dehumidifier gave up the ghost disappointingly rapidly: I think it was a little less than 7 years. A friend has had the same model for about twice that and his is still going strong.

rabbit
Lemon Pip

Postby rabbit » December 27th, 2023, 1:49 pm

I used to own an Ebac washing machine when I lived in my previous house. I had it for about 5 years before I sold the house and, as I was moving into a property that had a built-in washing machine in situ, I had no further need of it. It remained in my garage for a few months after that until I sold it to a young couple who were moving into their first flat and wanted some good, second hand appliances. The machine was totally reliable during its time with me. Regrettably the balance of the 7 year warranty was not transferable however.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » December 27th, 2023, 2:24 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Surely you should expect more than 7 years from any brand of washing machine that makes its way into the Usual Suspect retailers? The cost to them of offering the warranty should be minimal, and if you account for it as marketing/PR budget, it looks like money well-spent.

FWIW, my ebac dehumidifier gave up the ghost disappointingly rapidly: I think it was a little less than 7 years. A friend has had the same model for about twice that and his is still going strong.

Uncle - you have mentioned in other threads that you're happy to heat your house to an unusually low temperature - 13° or 15° IIRC.

And that you live near a river?

Would'nt it be the case, therefore, that your dehumidifier has to work much longer than one in a home heated to, say, 20°? Which might explain why it didn't last as long?

Watis

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Postby Imbiber » January 1st, 2024, 4:20 pm

Thanks to all who took the time and trouble to contribute. We are moving home shortly and a new washing machine is required. I think it will probably be an Ebac.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 2nd, 2024, 10:42 am

Imbiber wrote:Thanks to all who took the time and trouble to contribute. We are moving home shortly and a new washing machine is required. I think it will probably be an Ebac.

Check the practicalities of the new home.

In my last (2013-2019) rented house, the space available was exactly 60cm, and it was a challenge to put my washing machine in the space. So when that machine died, I paid careful attention to the size of its successor. Finding that Indesit machines were listed as 5mm narrower than other brands, I concluded that was my safest option, so now have an Indesit.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » January 2nd, 2024, 11:33 am

All washing-machines of this type should fit in a 60cm gap. However, measure the top and bottom of the gap at the front, and at the back. Kitchens are often wonky. Also check for metal brackets and other obstructions which can impair the insertion of your machine.

Julian F. G. W.

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Postby Imbiber » January 2nd, 2024, 11:36 am

Thanks for the advice. I'll hold on and check the gap before buying.

Return to “Does anyone know?”