Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

How can I obtain a proof of income for a rental application?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
carter535

Postby carter535 » January 25th, 2024, 11:17 am

Moderator Message:
Moved from Financial Software to DAK. As this is a straightforward question, extended discussion should not be needed (chas49)

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Re: How can I obtain a proof of income for a rental application?

Postby dionaeamuscipula » January 25th, 2024, 2:13 pm

carter535 wrote:How can I obtain a proof of income for a rental application?

What is/are your main source or sources of income?

DM

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » January 25th, 2024, 3:49 pm

And who needs this proof

modellingman
Lemon Slice

Postby modellingman » January 25th, 2024, 4:37 pm

Welcome to The Lemon Fool.

Usually it will be the documentary evidence that normally accompanies your payments of income. For example, payslips or dividend vouchers. Between 3 and 6 months of recent evidence will typically be required. Failing that a letter from a current employer confirming your salary/wage level or copies of recent bank statements are normally acceptable though it will generally be in your interests to explain why you are not providing accompanying documentary evidence.

The landlord's perspective (and I am one) is that the applicant needs to demonstrate they can afford and will pay the rent. There are factors beyond income involved in the landlord's decision as to who gets accepted as tenant but as this is DAK I won't expand on these for the time being.

modellingman

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 25th, 2024, 4:53 pm

modellingman wrote:

Usually it will be the documentary evidence that normally accompanies your payments of income. For example, payslips or dividend vouchers. Between 3 and 6 months of recent evidence will typically be required. Failing that a letter from a current employer confirming your salary/wage level or copies of recent bank statements are normally acceptable though it will generally be in your interests to explain why you are not providing accompanying documentary evidence.

The landlord's perspective (and I am one) is that the applicant needs to demonstrate they can afford and will pay the rent. There are factors beyond income involved in the landlord's decision as to who gets accepted as tenant but as this is DAK I won't expand on these for the time being.

A tenant applicant once offered me a copy of their self-assessment tax return, which was odd but I accepted it. Maybe useful for those with more non-standard income?

Of course a well organised applicant trying to impress would bring a package of information with them, including CV, references, rental history and financial summary.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » January 25th, 2024, 5:23 pm

Lootman wrote:A tenant applicant once offered me a copy of their self-assessment tax return, which was odd but I accepted it. Maybe useful for those with more non-standard income?

Of course a well organised applicant trying to impress would bring a package of information with them, including CV, references, rental history and financial summary.

Hopefully a summary rather than the full multipage output.

It wouldn't contain tax free income in ISAs though.

What do you need for a mortgage application these days?

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » January 25th, 2024, 5:45 pm

Moderator Message:
I suggest a pause on further discussion here until/unless the OP returns with further questions/information (chas49)

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 26th, 2024, 11:04 am

david634 wrote:

Moderator Message:
Moved from Financial Software to DAK. As this is a straightforward question, extended discussion should not be needed (chas49)

To obtain a proof of income for a rental application, you can provide the following documents:

1. Pay stubs: Recent pay stubs showing your income and deductions.
2. Employment verification letter: A letter from your employer confirming your position, income, and employment status.
3. Bank statements: Statements showing regular income deposits.
4. Tax returns: Copies of recent tax returns, including W-2 forms or 1099 forms.
5. Offer letter or employment contract: If you recently started a new job, include a copy of your offer letter or contract.
6. Social Security benefits letter: If applicable, a letter confirming your Social Security benefits.
7. Other income documents: Any additional documents verifying other sources of income.
If you don’t have bank statements we can create them from scratch for you for any bank.
Whatsapp / Telegram / Signal +1 914 274 8666

Looks like this particular AI drivel bot has failed to realise that as the OP (another bot?) asked their question in a .co.uk site they are unlikely to want any USA specific answers. :roll:

Oh, and BTW, following up the number leads one to a website (I won't give them the benefit of posting the url) that says "We can help you with your fake or novelty documents for Proof of Income or Proof of Address documents you might need for loan, mortgage, rent or visa purposes. This includes Fake Bank Statement, Fake Pay Stub, Fake Tax Returns or Fake Utility Bills.".

(As such, yes mods, I know I should report this as a spam post, but actually I think it and this post are worth keeping up for amusement/information purposes ;))

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » January 26th, 2024, 5:23 pm

Lootman wrote:
modellingman wrote:Usually it will be the documentary evidence that normally accompanies your payments of income. For example, payslips or dividend vouchers. Between 3 and 6 months of recent evidence will typically be required. Failing that a letter from a current employer confirming your salary/wage level or copies of recent bank statements are normally acceptable though it will generally be in your interests to explain why you are not providing accompanying documentary evidence.

A tenant applicant once offered me a copy of their self-assessment tax return, which was odd but I accepted it. Maybe useful for those with more non-standard income?

Dangerous without also receiving an HMRC summary showing same sum of tax for that year and it having been paid, not unknown for some to input incorrect figures then amending return within 12 months.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 26th, 2024, 11:12 pm

The more posts by bots/AIs that we allow, the more the site will become uninteresting and useless. C.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 27th, 2024, 9:11 am

csearle wrote:The more posts by bots/AIs that we allow, the more the site will become uninteresting and useless. C.

I suspect we're all guilty of that :)

Return to “Does anyone know?”