Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

"Hello this is John, your local energy advisor".

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
BullDog
Lemon Quarter

"Hello this is John, your local energy advisor".

Postby BullDog » February 15th, 2024, 9:05 am

I am getting a growing number of calls to my mobile and my home phone. Often it's clearly a bot calling. Sometimes it's a human, but not so often. The frequency of these scam calls is increasing. I get at least one every day. DAK how a fake energy adviser is trying to scam me? I can't think of any ways apart from obvious things like requesting bank or card details etc. But surely these days scammers are more sophisticated than simply asking for those details?

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Re: "Hello this is John, your local energy advisor".

Postby formoverfunction » February 15th, 2024, 9:16 am

I get a similar call on a regular basis, I even recognise her voice now.

When we get to the local bit, I point out I have several properties, so which "local".....the line gets cut off at that precise moment.

I can never remember her name, but I am going to make a note next time, so I can pipe up at the very start of the call "Oh hello ....."

I also get those occasional calls about my windows device being compromised. I like those ones, it's nice to have some company for 30 minutes when you work alone...and that moment I tell them none of that's working, because I am running OpenBSD. :D

Boots
2 Lemon pips

Postby Boots » February 15th, 2024, 9:18 am

BullDog wrote:I am getting a growing number of calls to my mobile and my home phone. Often it's clearly a bot calling. Sometimes it's a human, but not so often. The frequency of these scam calls is increasing. I get at least one every day. DAK how a fake energy adviser is trying to scam me? I can't think of any ways apart from obvious things like requesting bank or card details etc. But surely these days scammers are more sophisticated than simply asking for those details?

I too am getting a number of these, and also "We are aware that you have dangerous insulation in your loft". I don't enter into any dialogue with these beyond "Go forth and fornicate".

The exact nature of how they monetise their "efforts" is a mystery to me, and I hope it will remain so. If Ofcom were in any way a proper and responsible regulator, these calls would be reportable and quickly stopped. Similarly, if Action Fraud were anything other than an entirely misnamed box ticking exercise.

Rant over...

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 15th, 2024, 10:06 am

Id imagine their monetisation is selling you insurance/services/fixes that "fits" their alleged required criteria that they have just advised you about.

whether there is actual insurance/services/fixes on the end of it once you've paid your premium for their insurance is another thing...

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » February 15th, 2024, 10:32 am

I binned my landline when the fibre broadband went in. No more crap calls (we actually had the answer machine set up to kick in after 2 rings, which mostly filtered out the junk. Anyone important would leave a message and get a call back)

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 15th, 2024, 11:28 am

Boots wrote:I too am getting a number of these, and also "We are aware that you have dangerous insulation in your loft".

To which the correct response is
"I know, but crocodiles are incredibly Thermally Efficient.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » February 15th, 2024, 11:40 am

I don't recall John calling, it's always bloody Jane for me.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 15th, 2024, 11:50 am

DrFfybes wrote:
Boots wrote:I too am getting a number of these, and also "We are aware that you have dangerous insulation in your loft".

To which the correct response is
"I know, but crocodiles are incredibly Thermally Efficient.

I don't believe that's actually the case. Like other cold-blooded animals so big as to have heart and lungs, they need to regulate their temperature by seeking out an optimal combination of sun vs shade, water vs land, etc.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » February 15th, 2024, 12:02 pm

Tedx wrote:I binned my landline when the fibre broadband went in. No more crap calls (we actually had the answer machine set up to kick in after 2 rings, which mostly filtered out the junk. Anyone important would leave a message and get a call back)

Ditto

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » February 15th, 2024, 12:05 pm

BullDog wrote:I am getting a growing number of calls to my mobile and my home phone. Often it's clearly a bot calling. Sometimes it's a human, but not so often. The frequency of these scam calls is increasing. I get at least one every day. DAK how a fake energy adviser is trying to scam me? I can't think of any ways apart from obvious things like requesting bank or card details etc. But surely these days scammers are more sophisticated than simply asking for those details?

I wonder if it is because of your posts ("Energy Costs Oh Dear") which would indicate your interest in such things (and any other related energy posts - eg Octopus) ?

How did they get your mobile number though? Maybe I'm just paranoid..or maybe ...

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 15th, 2024, 12:49 pm

monabri wrote:
Tedx wrote:I binned my landline when the fibre broadband went in. No more crap calls (we actually had the answer machine set up to kick in after 2 rings, which mostly filtered out the junk. Anyone important would leave a message and get a call back)

Ditto

FWIW we do have a landline, originally for my mum to call but also because I do a bit with a charity that involves a lot of old people. I honestly can't remember last time we had a scam call, probably not for at least a year, and probably ony a couple of minor marketing calls since then. Similarly nothing on my mobile, although MrsF occasionally gets the obvious scam text.

Paul

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » February 15th, 2024, 1:03 pm

monabri wrote:

I wonder if it is because of your posts ("Energy Costs Oh Dear") which would indicate your interest in such things (and any other related energy posts - eg Octopus) ?

How did they get your mobile number though? Maybe I'm just paranoid..or maybe ...

Thanks. I have no idea how these people have my mobile number. But Mrs BD gets the calls on her mobile too. Registering numbers on telephone preference service seems to be ignored. Maybe it doesn't exist any more.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 15th, 2024, 1:12 pm

BullDog wrote:I have no idea how these people have my mobile number. But Mrs BD gets the calls on her mobile too. Registering numbers on telephone preference service seems to be ignored.

People always seem to say this. Perhaps registering phone numbers with the telephone preference service is the problem? :shock: :lol:

I don't get scam calls on my landline or my mobile. I have never registered my numbers with a telephone preference service. Just saying...

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » February 15th, 2024, 2:00 pm

XFool wrote:
BullDog wrote:I have no idea how these people have my mobile number. But Mrs BD gets the calls on her mobile too. Registering numbers on telephone preference service seems to be ignored.

People always seem to say this. Perhaps registering phone numbers with the telephone preference service is the problem? :shock: :lol:

I don't get scam calls on my landline or my mobile. I have never registered my numbers with a telephone preference service. Just saying...

Same here. My landline number is inherited from the previous owner of my house and I found it was ex directory. I left it so. I don't get many phone calls on it and almost no spams (last one and the first for ages left on my answer phone was about my Amazon prime subscription).

Similarly I get very few spam calls or texts on my mobile. I usually block the number when I do.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 15th, 2024, 2:07 pm

BullDog wrote:
monabri wrote:

How did they get your mobile number though?

Thanks. I have no idea how these people have my mobile number..

they don't have your mobile number would be my guess.

they have a calling system that calls

07000000000 through to 07999999999 in turn.

its presumably just a scatter gun approach nothing specifically targetted.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 15th, 2024, 2:09 pm

XFool wrote:

or the calls originate from overseas where the TPS has AIUI no jurisdiction.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » February 15th, 2024, 6:30 pm

BullDog wrote:Registering numbers on telephone preference service seems to be ignored. Maybe it doesn't exist any more.

It still appears to exist, and apparently I'm still registered. It just doesn't work though.

the0ni0nking
Lemon Slice

Postby the0ni0nking » February 15th, 2024, 7:21 pm

Outside of my actual work life, I run a management company that looks after the freehold of a property I have a 25% share in.

We've been getting shafted for a while on the communal utilities and I've known this (as I could access the account online) but I've not been bothered to sort it or look at changing due to other priorities.

Q4 last year, I thought I'd run our usage etc through a comparison site for small business energy usage and it came back that we could shave c40% of our annual bill.

So I thought given they're going to handle the change etc, lets do it - and so the transfer from one supplier to another began - until it was stopped because the new supplier decided our business failed the credit check (?!?) - but the 2nd cheapest option was still way cheaper and that change went without a hitch.

For a period of about a fortnight, I was then bombarded with (ignored) calls which Google told me were coming from the same comparison site together with emails. One of these was about moving our water to them - there isn't any communal water!!!!

Thankfully, my nil replies to anything meant this nonsense stopped within a couple of weeks. I probably ticked a box wrong somewhere but it wasn't obvious and thankfully I have a phone for my "rental business" as opposed to it going to either my work phone or my personal phone (So yes - that means three mobiles as dual-simming a phone would defeat that purpose!)

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » February 15th, 2024, 9:34 pm

Moderator Message:
Going forward please adhere to this site's posting rules regarding embedded images. Thank you. - Chris
I've noticed that cold calls have picked up recently, presuming that the boiler roooms are now back up to speed after covid/lock down etc.
I suspect a lot of the cold callers are just sequence dialling, and hope to get lucky.
Also, many of the calls originate from overseas, so work round TPS and Ofcom and the like (although the worldwide telecoms authorities could possibly do something about it, but there's no incentive to do very much e.g. STIR/SHAKEN)

Below is the number of cold calls to my Mum's landline (she died in 2013 and I ported it onto VOIP when we sold her house after her death so as to pick up calls from people who hadn't updated their records etc, which were not many, but it's not costing me anything, and it's occasionally fun to have a chat, as someone pointed out when you work alone it's nice to have some company, and they get really quite upset when they realise they're being strung along!)

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 15th, 2024, 9:59 pm

yorkshirelad1 wrote:Below is the number of cold calls to my Mum's landline (she died in 2013 and I ported it onto VOIP when we sold her house after her death so as to pick up calls from people who hadn't updated their records etc, which were not many, but it's not costing me anything, and it's occasionally fun to have a chat, as someone pointed out when you work alone it's nice to have some company, and they get really quite upset when they realise they're being strung along!)

Over 300 calls per year at peak? Good God!

I find that almost incomprehensible. What causes that? Something must - I can't believe I have even had 25 calls in the last 25 years.

Return to “Does anyone know?”