Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Different signatures for different reasons?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Different signatures for different reasons?

Postby stevensfo » April 5th, 2024, 1:10 pm

I recently had a bank query my signature on a pdf copy of my passport that I'd sent in to renew my ID details.

This is the first time in my life that this has happened. No problem, since they accepted my explanation.

Since my teens, I've used slightly different signatures for different documents. Maybe I had a foreboding of safety, ID theft etc. But I have my original 'important' signature that I use for banks and any legal papers.

I have my scribbled initials that I use when signing mundane documents at work or stuff in shops.

Then my middle signature, first two initials and surname, used for semi-important documents. For 30+ years, I've used this in my passport. I was amazed that they picked me up on this. After all, my personal details are the same and my photo isn't that different, though sipping a glass of G&T isn't allowed, apparently. ;)

Since our privacy has been eroded over the last decade, I feel justified in continuing, but I wonder if I'm alone in this, or others do the same thing.

Signed Admiral Lord Stevensfo (Mrs).

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: Different signatures for different reasons?

Postby Urbandreamer » April 5th, 2024, 1:43 pm

stevensfo wrote:Since our privacy has been eroded over the last decade, I feel justified in continuing, but I wonder if I'm alone in this, or others do the same thing.

I don't, but my mother use to spell her name differently depending upon who she was dealing with.

My wife also uses both the first name on her birth certificate and an abbreviated form of her second name with different organizations.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » April 5th, 2024, 2:58 pm

stevensfo wrote:I feel justified in continuing, but I wonder if I'm alone in this, or others do the same thing.

I have two first names, but am known by the second.

So at my doctor I am registered as Plonk Lord, but at the bank I am Lord Plonk.
My letterhead is Plonk Lord, as were my visiting cards when I had such things.
My passport is Lord Plonk.

Some years ago I changed my signature as it had become illegible. The bank seemed not to notice or weren't bothered.

So no, you're not alone.

V8

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 7th, 2024, 11:06 am

stevensfo wrote:Since our privacy has been eroded over the last decade, I feel justified in continuing, but I wonder if I'm alone in this, or others do the same thing.

Which of us can honestly say we've never used a different signature for the sake of added financial security? My most popular names to date have been Monet, Picasso and Lowry. All the financial cover I'm ever likely to require. ;)

BJ

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 7th, 2024, 12:14 pm

stevensfo wrote:I recently had a bank query my signature on a pdf copy of my passport that I'd sent in to renew my ID details.

This is the first time in my life that this has happened. No problem, since they accepted my explanation.

Since my teens, I've used slightly different signatures for different documents. Maybe I had a foreboding of safety, ID theft etc. But I have my original 'important' signature that I use for banks and any legal papers.

I have my scribbled initials that I use when signing mundane documents at work or stuff in shops.

Then my middle signature, first two initials and surname, used for semi-important documents. For 30+ years, I've used this in my passport. I was amazed that they picked me up on this. After all, my personal details are the same and my photo isn't that different, though sipping a glass of G&T isn't allowed, apparently. ;)

Since our privacy has been eroded over the last decade, I feel justified in continuing, but I wonder if I'm alone in this, or others do the same thing.

I have two signatures one "legal" and one for friendlier things. Sometimes they get mixed up, but no harm done so far.

The absurd things are those documents they insist on making you sign "electronically" in which it doesn't even look like a competent fake.

Arb.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 7th, 2024, 12:31 pm

Arborbridge wrote:The absurd things are those documents they insist on making you sign "electronically" in which it doesn't even look like a competent fake.

Aren't they just? I had to "sign" one on an ipad at the dentist's last year. As security, it was not worth the plastic it wasn't written on. ;)

BJ

Return to “Does anyone know?”