Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Car polish - is it worth it?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Car polish - is it worth it?

Postby bungeejumper » July 21st, 2020, 8:56 am

Arborbridge wrote:During lockdown, the car didn't get cleaned at all, and now I find that the outfits are charging about twice what the Polish family did, so it's rather discouraging. Perhaps I'll have to get off my axxx and do it myself :roll:

Polishing the cars was pretty much the first thing I did when lockdown happened, as a kind of token substitute for exercise. :) And after three/four months of collecting dust and bird droppings the detritus all washed off like magic. One of my better ideas, then.

It's not such a daunting task once you get down to it. Assuming your car is clean to start with, an hour and a half with a good brand of polish. Old cotton T shirts make suitable rags, but beware those with more synthetic fibres, which can scratch.

I did have to replace a couple of my wiper blades, though. Covid-induced disuse had made them inflexible.

BJ

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » July 21st, 2020, 9:31 am

Many people change their car every 2 or 3 years so it's hardly worth bothering with.
If the car is white or light coloured, polish is useful for removing tar or other road stuff from the paintwork. My chauffuer just washes and uses a chamois leather.....and he knows what he's doing !

Sobraon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Sobraon » July 21st, 2020, 9:55 am

AF62 wrote:
Slarti wrote:
We have about 4 of them in Maldon, mostly staffed by Eastern Europeans.
Excellent job done in between 10 and 20 minutes, depending on if you have the car vacuumed and the insides of the windows done as well.
Cost between £5 and £12

Slarti

It is incredible how they manage to keep the cost that low, despite meeting all the pay, tax, and environmental regulations.

I have been told ( by someone who should know) that some these operations may also sell other 'goods or consumables' so maybe some cross subsidy. I was surprised (too much of a sheltered life?) but thinking about it later it was fairly obvious.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » July 21st, 2020, 12:54 pm

I have a paint protection treatment on my white Mini Countryman, it is called Platinum Protection Deluxe (£249.17 extra in 2017),it means cleaning is really basically just water and it does appear to repel dirt; it is a ceramic protection (also covers the leather interior)

I

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » July 21st, 2020, 2:13 pm

Charlottesquare wrote: it is a ceramic protection (also covers the leather interior)

I

I thought only hardcore Heavy Metal bands had ceramic coatings on their leather.

Paul

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » July 21st, 2020, 3:16 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
Charlottesquare wrote: it is a ceramic protection (also covers the leather interior)

I

I thought only hardcore Heavy Metal bands had ceramic coatings on their leather.

Paul

They need it after a night on the tiles...

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » July 22nd, 2020, 10:59 am

DrFfybes wrote:

I

Paul

The interior protection, per the brochure , is a "coating with a resin based formula allowing stains to be easily removed" so it does sound appropriate for your target user base.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » July 22nd, 2020, 6:13 pm

Moderator Message:
The original DAK question was asked three years ago. The most recent posts are not direct questions and answers as expected on this board. I have locked the thread now. (chas49)

Return to “Does anyone know?”