Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0, for Donating to support the site

Circle with lines in "Topics"

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Circle with lines in "Topics"

Postby poundcoin » November 5th, 2016, 8:00 am

To the left of the Topics list is a circle with lines inside . Those up the top of the page are red , sometimes the lines scroll and sometimes they also have "star" . Those posts lower down have turned black .
I thought it maybe to do with unread posts but reading the last one doesn't seem to change it .
Anyone know what this is for ?

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Re: Circle with lines in "Topics"

Postby poundcoin » November 5th, 2016, 10:19 am

Actually that post about the red or black circles was made on my Android phone....now on my laptop the circles with lines inside are all black and don't appear to have any scrolling lines must be just an Android thing .

Edit: oops now they have changed to the red again !

LemonFool

Postby LemonFool » November 5th, 2016, 1:39 pm

When I hover over it, it says 'Read Unread Posts' if it's red.

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » November 5th, 2016, 5:06 pm

Thanks LemonFool am on my phone again and you can't really hover but touching the circle just opens up the topic again . I'm seeing a little red star for this topic in the circle too .

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 5th, 2016, 5:22 pm

poundcoin wrote:I'm seeing a little red star for this topic in the circle too .

The little red star means you've posted on the thread.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » November 5th, 2016, 10:07 pm

poundcoin wrote:To the left of the Topics list is a circle with lines inside . Those up the top of the page are red , sometimes the lines scroll and sometimes they also have "star" . Those posts lower down have turned black .
I thought it maybe to do with unread posts but reading the last one doesn't seem to change it .

Scrolling lines in the circle appears to correlate with topics that have grown to be two or more 'pages' long.

I haven't worked out what the other behaviours mean though.

Watis

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » November 5th, 2016, 10:55 pm

Thanks Watis !

AJC5001
Lemon Slice

Postby AJC5001 » November 6th, 2016, 1:21 am

poundcoin wrote:To the left of the Topics list is a circle with lines inside . Those up the top of the page are red , sometimes the lines scroll and sometimes they also have "star" . Those posts lower down have turned black .

See the thread titled "The Burger symbol" by meatyfool in this very board. :D

Adrian

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 6th, 2016, 8:01 am

I've actually found the icons to the left of the boards and threads to be the most useful way to keep up with unread boards, threads and posts.

I know this new board software has taken some getting used to by many people, me included, and I was using the 'New Posts' and 'Unread Posts' links found via the 'Quick Links' option initially, but having now got to understand the circular icons a little better, I've put together a post giving some clear instructions on how people can use them to help guide them towards boards, threads, and posts that they've not yet read, to quickly get visibility of unread posts on their screen, without having to carry out a load of scrolling to find them.

You can read my post with those instructions here, and any comments would be welcome if it would help deliver some good general guidance for people who may also be struggling finding their feet in this area -

http://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9&p=967#p967

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » November 6th, 2016, 8:07 am

Thanks Itsallaguess . Very useful !

WessexMario

Postby WessexMario » November 6th, 2016, 3:17 pm

This might help..
http://samuraikids.com.au/phpbb2/images/instructions/forum_icons.png

the icons are configurable by the admin, so the icons and exact meanings may not be consistent between different boards.

I've found that we can't insert images into posts, I can understand not wanting to clutter posts with images... but can we please have the ability to insert links!

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 7th, 2016, 2:03 am

poundcoin wrote:To the left of the Topics list is a circle with lines inside . Those up the top of the page are red , sometimes the lines scroll and sometimes they also have "star" . Those posts lower down have turned black...

Red indicates one or more unread posts in that thread. Clicking on a red one takes you to the first unread post, AIUI.
Scrolling seems to indicate the post has multiple pages.
The star only seems to appear on threads you have contributed to.

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » November 7th, 2016, 7:59 am

Thanks Bree got that now .
There is another variation , a mini lined circle within the larger lined circle on the main index page.
At this moment for me , it's only on two threads , "Credit cards and loans" and "Brokers and share dealing". Can't see what that does

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 7th, 2016, 11:20 am

poundcoin wrote:Thanks Bree got that now .
There is another variation , a mini lined circle within the larger lined circle on the main index page.
At this moment for me , it's only on two threads , "Credit cards and loans" and "Brokers and share dealing". Can't see what that does

I was going to suggest the mini circle indicates there is a sub forum but this only seems to apply to "Credit cards and loans". Perhaps the one on Brokers is in error.

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » November 7th, 2016, 11:35 am

In time we will figure it out !
Another thing I have just noticed after swopping from my phone to the laptop is that on the page tab for Lemonfool (using Firefox) was a figure 1 in brackets ......similar to my Facebook tabs when there is a notification.
Now I presume it was because PinkDarlek had made a reply....whether it's because I started the thread or whether it applies to any message added to the thread will have to see .

Return to “Does anyone know?”