Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt, for Donating to support the site

American idiot

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
didds
Lemon Half

American idiot

Postby didds » July 6th, 2018, 9:01 am

DAK which sites one can purchase Green Day's "American Idiot" from this week such that it will count towards becoming #1 on July 13th?

For those that find this concept peurile, you are probably right - please just move on ;-)

didds

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: American idiot

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 6th, 2018, 9:28 am

didds wrote:DAK which sites one can purchase Green Day's "American Idiot" from this week such that it will count towards becoming #1 on July 13th?

For those that find this concept peurile, you are probably right - please just move on ;-)

didds

Peurile[sic]? Maybe I would if I had a clue what you were talking about (saw the title, expected an anecdote about someone you'd encountered). Let me guess: it's someone's dig at Trump?

More to the point, WTF is the significance of July 13th? Surely July 4th is the big day for 'merkins?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 6th, 2018, 9:41 am

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6170766/g ... uly-visit/

Trump's visit to the UK July 13th.

John

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » July 6th, 2018, 11:33 am

A semi serious answer. I don't know, and you shouldn't be able to find out much.

I used to work for an equivalent charting company in a different medium.

They'll probably collect sales info from most bricks and mortar stores, they won't get 100% coverage most likely, and then will use statistical tricks to round up sales to represent the whole market. If you want to buy just one track, the mighty Amazon I guess. I'd be amazed if such a big player didn't contribute to the chart figures. The singles chart now includes streaming too. I'd guess from Amazon Prime music, and Spotify amongst others. I'd assume one "stream" doesn't count for the same amount as one purchase, but I don't know the ratio.

You want that song at number 1 when he's here next week? Almost certainly too late. The new weekly chart that Radio 1 uses is broadcast/released Friday afternoon. Though actually, he's here on the 13th right? That's next Friday. Okay, log into Spotify 10 times and play it on repeat all day every day. :)

I'd imagine that the chart people also do statistical tricks to smooth anomalous data, i.e. data that's too far out of whack. I.e. if everyone else is doing it too, you're probably fine, but if you, say, set up 10 servers all with 20 browsers all logged into Spotify all playing the same random track 24/7, I'd expect the chart company to have something that spots attempts to game the system.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 6th, 2018, 12:46 pm

apparently sales from July 6th count.

https://www.facebook.com/trumpidiot/?hc_location=ufi

Return to “Does anyone know?”