Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Solar powered water feature

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
didds
Lemon Half

Solar powered water feature

Postby didds » September 28th, 2017, 5:03 pm

Mrs Didds has a belfast sink in the garden (rescued from a skip). She would like to make a water feature of it, so i said i'd investigate a suitable solar powered device. She doesn;t do naff!

Solar because its way from any easy power source, and because we can lose the solar panel somewhere fairly obstructively, whilst still facing generically south/south-west.

Thing is - she doesn't do naff, and she already has the container she wants, so we don;'t need an all inclusive pump, solar panel, container combo.

She saw something she approved of whilst we out today... a simple open "stone" spot... something a bit like this..

http://cdn2.ndc.co.za/thumb/browse/valu ... vyduty.jpg

I am googling like mad but if anybody already knows of something that would work loike this (ie solar panel, pump, trough like thingy) then lease shout. the point being she/we do not need a founrtai8n type spray, but a way to get water to a spout that can just run back into the sink.

She doesn't do naff. did I mention that?

didds

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Solar powered water feature

Postby Breelander » September 28th, 2017, 5:26 pm

You can get solar pumps on their own, like this one...
https://www.primrose.co.uk/solar-water- ... 02728.html
(not a recommendation, just the first I found in Google)

It looks like the detachable fountain heads could easily be left off and a pipe attached instead so you could send the water to a spout of your choosing.
Last edited by Breelander on September 28th, 2017, 5:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » September 28th, 2017, 5:28 pm

How much flow do you want? And how high do you need to raise the water? Most solar options will realistically give you very little of either. I've got a little eBay unit that is still working fine after 2 years outdoors in all weather. I made a home made filter out of an ice cream tub and some pound shop sponges. See I do do naff :lol: . And it is a mere dribble, though it works even in winter sun.

You can buy units that are all-in-one submerged fountain spray - which obviously is not what you want. Or units with a separate pump which will let you route a tube anywhere. Which should suit your purposes better.

Simply speaking, the more flow you want, in the more weather conditions, the more you're going to have to pay. Try pouring water out of a jug to see how it looks, and thus calculate how many l/minute.

Gryff

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » September 28th, 2017, 5:46 pm

Don't forget the non-return valve.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » September 30th, 2017, 6:32 pm

didds wrote:...a simple open "stone" spot... something a bit like this..

http://cdn2.ndc.co.za/thumb/browse/valu ... vyduty.jpg
If you mounted a small water wheel to intercept the flow and attached it to a small generator maybe you could power the pump without solar?

Chris ;)

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » September 30th, 2017, 9:00 pm

I didn't think the laws of physics supported such a device.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 1st, 2017, 8:51 am

A slightly different requirement here, but bear with me. I'm toying with the idea of growing greenhouse strawberries hydroponically, which requires a modest but continuous flow of water and liquid nutrients. A solar pump would seem like the obvious way to go, except that it would stop at night! (And, if the comments on the linked-to solar pump are correct, whenever the sun isn't shining.) Are there any pumps with rechargeable battery backup?

I've certainly been impressed with what solar can do - last year I bought a £20 solar lamp whose solar element is the size of two postage stamps, but which can power an array of ten LEDs for five or six hours a night, thanks to a couple of rechargeable AAA batteries. I haven't done (can't do) the wattage maths, but I'd imagine that a tiny pump would be feasible. DAK?

BJ

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 1st, 2017, 10:39 am

bungeejumper wrote:I'm toying with the idea of growing greenhouse strawberries hydroponically, which requires a modest but continuous flow of water and liquid nutrients. ... Are there any pumps with rechargeable battery backup?

Yes, but wouldn't it be more energy-efficient to use the water itself to store the energy? I'd think about using the pump to top up a header tank and use a gravity feed to deliver the water flow.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 1st, 2017, 1:13 pm

Breelander wrote:Yes, but wouldn't it be more energy-efficient to use the water itself to store the energy? I'd think about using the pump to top up a header tank and use a gravity feed to deliver the water flow.

Good point. But hmmm, somehow the battery backup still appeals, if only because I could get away with a somewhat smaller header tank. So next question, what kind of a head of pressure could I expect to get from a solar pump? Would need to be two feet, at a guess. (Recycling from the bottom of the fluid sump to the top of the header tank.) Flow could be absolutely minuscule - I should think 20 litres an hour would be adequate.

Jumping ahead of myself a little, I see that this battery-backed one for £40 has 70cm of head: www.primrose.co.uk/solar-water-pump-kit ... -3205.html, with far more flow than I would be likely to need. No, I don't need the disco lights, thank you, or even the fountain head - but apparently it can be programmed to provide five hours at times of your choosing (or in winter/constant mode, whatever that means...)

As an illustration of what can be done it's intriguing. Hmmm, will investigate further.

BJ

Loir
2 Lemon pips

Postby Loir » October 2nd, 2017, 7:22 am

Please don't forget little creatures like hedgehogs, they can fall in the water and drown. A little slope or stair will save them. A lift is perhaps going too far!
Steve

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 1st, 2018, 11:18 am

I don't know whether the OP ever got round to organising a solar water feature, but we've been experimenting recently with one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BBNWJP7/ ... 11_TE_item

First impressions are that they're not kidding about the panel's ability to deliver 11 watts of power to the battery in sunny conditions. (The typical panel is rated closer to 3 watts.) Yes, it does continue to charge on cloudy days, but at a slower rate, obviously.

The 12 volt pump will only run for four hours a day on the battery storage at this rate - but heck, it's a chunky 1,000 litres per hour pump, much more powerful than most normal water features require, and I'm about to try replacing it with ten quid's worth of 350 l/h pump which, with luck, should keep it running more or less constantly in daylight hours.

Like the OP, we have an unobtrusive place to put a foot-square solar panel (on top of a wall), and all I need to do is extend the 12 volt cable with a bit of bell flex and an on/off switch. And yes, like the OP we aren't planning on any plastic meerkats or cutesy water mills - just a 'bubbler' and a few rocks in a stone jar will do for us.

Will report back on how it goes.

BJ

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 1st, 2018, 4:59 pm

bungeejumper wrote:I don't know whether the OP ever got round to organising a solar water feature

I didn't. Mrs Didds forgot all about it ... * phew *

didds

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » October 1st, 2018, 5:16 pm

didds wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:I don't know whether the OP ever got round to organising a solar water feature

I didn't. Mrs Didds forgot all about it ... * phew *

didds

She doesn't read Lemonfool then?

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 1st, 2018, 7:19 pm

Nope!

LOL!

Return to “Does anyone know?”