Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

How to sell US shares

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Gersemi
Lemon Slice

How to sell US shares

Postby Gersemi » January 31st, 2018, 5:50 pm

OK, I held shares in Cadbury Schweppes in certificated form. I didn't know what to do when they split into Cadburys and Dr Pepper Snapple ... so I still have the DPS shares*. They are held in an account with Computershare and the dividends are automatically reinvested. Actually they have done very nicely.

But now they are going to merge with Keurig Green Mountain Inc (who?) and apparently I am going to get $103.75 per share and a share of the combined company [ http://uk.businessinsider.com/dr-pepper ... rig-2018-1 ] - but I'd like to get out now.

But how? What's the easiest (or fairly easy and cheap) way to do it?

Hoping someone can help
Gersemi

*I did learn, I sold the Cadburys shares before they were taken over by Kraft.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: How to sell US shares

Postby Alaric » January 31st, 2018, 5:53 pm

Gersemi wrote:But how? What's the easiest (or fairly easy and cheap) way to do it?

The Registrar (Computershare) may well offer a service. That's likely to be easy if not cheap. The terms of the deal may make a cash offer available to small shareholders.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » January 31st, 2018, 6:51 pm

Gersemi wrote:OK, I held shares in Cadbury Schweppes in certificated form. I didn't know what to do when they split into Cadburys and Dr Pepper Snapple ... so I still have the DPS shares*. They are held in an account with Computershare and the dividends are automatically reinvested. Actually they have done very nicely.

But now they are going to merge with Keurig Green Mountain Inc (who?) and apparently I am going to get $103.75 per share and a share of the combined company [ http://uk.businessinsider.com/dr-pepper ... rig-2018-1 ] - but I'd like to get out now.

Hoping someone can help
Gersemi

Pity, you would have done very well with the Kraft shares and I'd not be in a hurry to sell DPS now.

You will find the Dr Pepper options when you log into your account via:-

https://www-us.computershare.com/Investor/

'Sell' button will result in your receipt of a cheque via the post or ACH international Credit into an account that you have registered with them. The cheque fee for a sterling cheque is $25.
Go to myProfile and then the Banking details tab. Click the 'View fees' button.

You might like to use the 'live chat' to make sure you get a £ sterling cheque.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » January 31st, 2018, 9:38 pm

Gersemi wrote:OK, I held shares in Cadbury Schweppes in certificated form. I didn't know what to do when they split into Cadburys and Dr Pepper Snapple ... so I still have the DPS shares*. They are held in an account with Computershare and the dividends are automatically reinvested. Actually they have done very nicely.

Hoping someone can help
Gersemi

Just had a live chat with Computershare USA and they say that they may not be handling the $103.75 per share special dividend so your 'get out now' is likely to be less easy.

Dr Pepper Snapple and Keurig intend to hold an Investor Day in mid-March to provide additional details.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » February 1st, 2018, 5:10 pm

supremetwo wrote:
Just had a live chat with Computershare USA and they say that they may not be handling the $103.75 per share special dividend so your 'get out now' is likely to be less easy.

Why does what Computershare have to do with the special dividend affect whether I can sell the shares now? (Sorry if I am being thick).

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » February 1st, 2018, 5:24 pm

Gersemi wrote:
supremetwo wrote:Just had a live chat with Computershare USA and they say that they may not be handling the $103.75 per share special dividend so your 'get out now' is likely to be less easy.
Why does what Computershare have to do with the special dividend affect whether I can sell the shares now? (Sorry if I am being thick).

Until the deal is approved, you are able to sell the shares at their market price and, obviously no $103.75 per share special dividend.

http://investor.drpeppersnapplegroup.co ... nformation ($120.30 today)

Computershare will have more information when the deal has been finalised.

March?

The DPS market price will obviously be lower after the $103.75 per share special dividend and the amalgamation, but I reckon it is likely to be more than $120.30 minus $103.75.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » February 1st, 2018, 5:32 pm

Yes I realised that if I sell now I won't get the special dividend.

Thanks for your thoughts on the situation though. I'll mull my options over a bit more.

Return to “Does anyone know?”