Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Car salesman job queries

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
didds
Lemon Half

Car salesman job queries

Postby didds » February 1st, 2018, 10:49 pm

Cutting a long story short... I know a young man aged 19. Nice guy etc, daughter's boyfriend.
He has asked me and mrs Didds for advice - parental almost I guess. I don;t want to discuss why we are in this position (but its nothing heavy :-).

He wants to work in recruitment, but at an interview they explained the recruitment firm he spoke to said they'd expect some sales experience.

so he is looking for sales jobs.

He went to a 1st interview today for a car sales trainee role. For a company named Platinum (or a franchise I suspect) - I've never heard of them but TBH I wouldn't, I don't do cars. I can find them on the web easily enough and the position he has applied for.

He explained that he knows nothing at about cars. They said that isn't a problem, they can teach him everything he would need to know.

0830-1800, M-F plus one of Sat (10-5) or Sun (11-4), weekend days flipping.

12k basic + £100/car commission + 10% of finance sold.
~
I know nothing about sales jobs so have no idea if that seems normal or whatever.

Clearly 12K a year for an average week of 48 hours (presuming an hour lunch M-F and 0.5 on a Sat, none on Sunday) = £4.80 an hour.
NMW for a 19 year old is £5.60 an hour.
They said that if he doesn't receive sufficient commission they just make up his wage packet to NMW. Which if he sold nothing in a week would be £38.40 so not a huge discrtepancy etc (1 sale would make him up).

I am by nature quite sceptical. My thoughts are why would a car salesroom take on a salesman who knows nothing about cars?

And secondary to that is the pay structure typical/expected for somebody with no sales experience?

I certainly wouldn't be saying to him "YES" or "NO". I'd only be suggesting areas of consideration.

DAK?

I reiterate I won't be going into his personal circumstances as to why he is asking _us_. I also would like to make it clear I am not casting aspersions on the company whatsoever. I'm just trying to get a handle on a few things for him. He's a nice lad with little world expereince - I had stuff all at 19 also.

didds

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Car salesman job queries

Postby redsturgeon » February 2nd, 2018, 7:45 am

What knowledge would you expect someone selling cars to have? The average person buying a car would need to know very little and could probably be more easily put off by a know it all nerdy car person. More important is the ability to ask the right questions, listen and know about the product you are selling.

What do you want the car for? What's the most important thing to you? Style? Economy? Comfort? Safety? Or if you believe the VW salesman I just talked to last week...colour!

Most important thing is to be able to engage with the customer, gain their trust and offer the product that best fits their needs.

For a 19 year old with no experience I'd say the deal sounds fair enough.

Clearly the most important thing for him will be the training he gets so that would be the question I would be asking, how much formal training or is it just learn on the job as you go along?

If it is good sales training then I'd say it will be invaluable experience for him...and he gets paid while he does it.

The only downside is that car sales are going through a bit of a lull at the moment and if he doesn't manage to be successful then that might not look great on his CV...or it may just mean that he is not cut out for a sales type role.

Recruitment itself is a tough business but one in which determination, sales skills and people skills are of prime importance and where a lot of money can be made by the right person, I wish him well.

John

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » February 2nd, 2018, 10:15 am

I have the feeling that the majority of people buying a car have already done their research on the internet, decided exactly which model, how much etc, and are at the stage of just needing a friendly 'nudge' to make the decision.

It's always been like that when we've bought a new car and to be honest, if my wife likes the colour, I like the shape, the car has air-con and the salesman isn't pushy (a huge turn-off) who cares about torque, rpm, goes 0-60 in 5 nanoseconds etc?

A good salesman knows how to smile, be friendly, not to volunteer too much information, knows when to leave customers alone and keep mouth shut when required.

Steve

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » February 2nd, 2018, 12:17 pm

<swiss toni>Selling a car is like...</swiss toni>

(I'll get my coat)

killergorilla

Postby killergorilla » February 2nd, 2018, 2:00 pm

stevensfo wrote:I have the feeling that the majority of people buying a car have already done their research on the internet
Steve

I think this is true. However! I had a sales job at 19 in retail. The going in assumption of anyone he speaks with will be that he had no idea what he's talking about. As a very young sales person it's tricky to project expertise and knowledge and drive confidence for customers. Confidence is a huge predictor of sales.
The way around this is to use any downtime voraciously researching the cars and knowing more about them than anyone else in the dealership. Fun small features buried in menus. Hidden compartments for glasses etc. Being able to show someone around the car in detail and knowing helpful things that they don't know is the best way to overcome the inexperience of youth. Read the manuals. Watch youtube reviews etc.
Also figure out who the best sales people are and spend time around them. Watch what they do and look carefully at how their customers react. This way you can pull together a portfolio of tools and techniques.
Good luck. Wage wise I'd say it's fair. If he can sell a bunch of cars he'll progress quickly. This really sounds like a filter mechanism to weed out from a pool of unknowns. The bad ones won't earn enough to make it worth their while, the good ones will move on.
KG

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 2nd, 2018, 2:27 pm

stevensfo wrote:I have the feeling that the majority of people buying a car have already done their research on the internet, decided exactly which model, how much etc, and are at the stage of just needing a friendly 'nudge' to make the decision.

It's always been like that when we've bought a new car and to be honest, if my wife likes the colour, I like the shape, the car has air-con and the salesman isn't pushy (a huge turn-off) who cares about torque, rpm, goes 0-60 in 5 nanoseconds etc?

I must be the awkward squad, then. I'm the one who gets into the car and asks the salesman whether there's any way of raising the steering column a bit higher than it apparently wants to go, or whether the satnav button on the dashboard actually does anything (in my car's case, no it doesn't), and whether this is the model with the multi-linked rear suspension that's quicker round the corners (yes it is), and why the DAB radio isn't getting any stations? (Because it's still tuned to Edinburgh, and this is Cheltenham).

And finally, the killer question.... Can you show me how the interior lights work? I've never had two cars with the same baffling system. I feel a bit sorry for the salesman if he's got to memorise all those configurations. And rather impressed if he's got the answers to hand. If it were me, the windscreen wiper stalk alone would make me look like a proper numpty. (Where is it, does it go upward or downward, and what happens if I tweak this little dial while twisting the lever and pushing it backwards?) Good luck to any young'un who can handle a forecourt full of those clashing non-standarditities. :lol:

Not forgetting the time when I bought a nearly-new car, went to fill it with petrol, and had to phone up the dealer for advice on how to open the fuel filler cap. He didn't know. Fortunately the garage owner did. :D

BJ

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » February 2nd, 2018, 2:43 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Not forgetting the time when I bought a nearly-new car, went to fill it with petrol, and had to phone up the dealer for advice on how to open the fuel filler cap. He didn't know. Fortunately the garage owner did. :D

BJ

It wasn't a Corsa, was it?

Watis

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » February 2nd, 2018, 4:36 pm

My thoughts; would there be enough footfall for the guy to get enough face-to-face practice and thereby increase his confidence levels.
Personally I think the pay is poor given that he may struggle to gain enough experience; worst of both worlds.

Not sure what sector would give him better exposure, possible white goods i.e. Currys or somewhere he could walk around a large store and approach customers with smaller ticket price goods. Perhaps a shoe-shop where a high percentage of customers want to engage with a sales-person, rather than 'just looking'.

Finally if recruitment is his goal then a quick read here may help https://theundercoverrecruiter.com/want ... ve-skills/

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » February 2nd, 2018, 9:10 pm

I don't buy many cars, preferring to run them into the ground so I haven't that much experience of car salesmen. However, my last experience may be of some interest.

We wanted a replacement car, preferably one from our nearest Japanese dealer. The salesman was not interested in selling to us - we had to ask about the various models around. I went to a Korean dealership - at least I think they are Korean, and although two of the cars were suitable, they didn't have suitable petrol engine versions and the salesman tried to tell me that they didn't have problems with DPF's. That may, or may not be true but I wasn't convinced. I went to another dealer selling three different marques. By now I had got my spiel off pat - the salesman totally ignored what I said and pointed me at something totally unsuitable.
Finally, I went to my local Toyota dealer. This giant of a man (I'm not kidding either) came out, listened to what I said, and said the only two vehicles which meet those requirements are the Verso or the Avensis. I looked at a 2ndhand Avensis, realised I should have measured up our bikes beforehand, borrowed a tape measure to measure the Avensis, went home, worked stuff out, and returned later that afternoon. The salesman gave us the keys and said take it out for an hour or so by yourself. Needless to say we bought the Avensis. That was salesmanship.

I've suffered at the hands of a salesman at a now-defunct white goods chain. I've had so-called salesmen who didn't even know the basics of what he was selling. And I've had shopkeepers, ok perhaps not salesman in the true sense, trying to tell me that there was no difference between two different items. Unfortunately for him, I knew better. In other words, I do not trust the majority of so-called salesmen, which is why that Toyota salesman stood out as he did. That was quite apart from the fact that he couldn't walk through a normal door without bending down a little!

Regards,

ten0rman

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » February 3rd, 2018, 10:10 am

A few observations from someone who spent a significant part of his career either in sales positions or closely involved with them...

1 - I can't comment on the compensation because I have no idea what the going rate is there. If he wants the job though (and hasn't yet landed it) I doubt he would do his chances much harm if he showed some business acumen by digging into the package. For instance the package described has a variable comprising a flat rate of £100 per car plus 10% of finance sold. It seems to me that the 10% of finance sold might well be a big component of earnings depending on how many buyers do take out finance so, in the context of him wanting to assess the value of the compensation package being offered, it would not be unreasonable to ask what percentage of the total value of monthly sales was funded by finance. It would also be appropriate, if he hasn't already done so, to dig into their sales rates, footfall, etc.

2 - killergoriller already said what I think is the most important comment...

figure out who the best sales people are and spend time around them.

A lot of his decision should, in my opinion, be influenced by what he thinks of the other sales people he meets during the interview process and whether he thinks they will be people he can learn from. The single most valuable thing in learning sales skills is to have good mentors and role models. I don't think that I've ever met a sales person, or at least one dealing in high value complex sales as opposed to lower priced retail goods, who wouldn't agree with that.

3 - I'd also call out John's (redsturgeon's) post as particularly solid observations and advice. Real selling is more about listening and understanding the customer's requirements and, if you are doing it well, hopefully also uncovering some of their hidden emotional triggers and motivations for the purchase. When you do speak it's a lot more about asking pertinent open-ended questions and actually listening to the answers than about wowing them with your product knowledge. Jumping straight into a "this product is great because it has <x>, <y> and <z>" is one of the first things that good sales training teaches you not to do.

I wish him good luck. I suspect car sales will be a pretty decent learning ground with a nuanced and complex enough sales process to give him a good grounding in the basic skills.

- Julian

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 5th, 2018, 9:42 am

Thank you all for your fantastic replies.

Its certainly given me something to bullet point for him.

cheers

didds

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » February 5th, 2018, 9:52 am

His actual wage should be minimum wage, he really should push for his contract to say that not 'we make it up if you don't get it via sales', that's not fair.

Other than that - if he needs any help with cars, he can do what I do - ask Red Sturgeon!

All the stuff BJ asks I just learn as I drive it off the forecourt. With one car I found out after having had it for three years that it had this thing on the wiper stick that made the wipers go faster or slower. It was like having a new car!

Selling the finance deals will doubtless be the biggest part of his job so learning how they work and listening to how others sell them will be key.

Mel

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 5th, 2018, 11:58 am

melonfool wrote:All the stuff BJ asks I just learn as I drive it off the forecourt. With one car I found out after having had it for three years that it had this thing on the wiper stick that made the wipers go faster or slower. It was like having a new car!

Fair comment, up to a point. I'm also one of those people who enjoy the interest/excitement of learning what all the switches and gizmos do on my new car. Maybe it's a saddo bloke thing, but I actually feel a little bit deflated when I've learned about them all. :D

I also take your (implied) point that if there's anything wrong with the car, then the dealer's warranty will fix it, no problem. That is, as long as you haven't bought your car from a dealer who's 150 miles away, like I usually do!

But questions like "will this steering column stretch far enough to accommodate me?" or "have I got the fast-cornering suspension on this model or haven't I?" are likely to be germane to my decision on buying the car in the first place. And if the salesman doesn't happen to know that the satnav button on the console is a dead number because the satnav hasn't been fitted, then that's a relevant thing for him to know before he parts me from my twelve grand. Wouldn't you say? ;)

BJ

Return to “Does anyone know?”