Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Baggage rules on planes

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
john10001
2 Lemon pips

Baggage rules on planes

Postby john10001 » February 3rd, 2018, 1:45 pm

I'm going on a flight next week for the first time in over ten years.

I've not decided whether I am taking a big checked suitcase or just my small cabin one yet.

I'm going away for 9 days. I might be able to stretch it out with the small bag!

My cabin bag is under the 7kg limit and I can fit most of what I will just about need clothes wise. I put my light shoes in that one and will wear any heavier shoes.

Question: I just wondered if I am also allowed to take a manbag?

I know that handbags are allowed for the ladies but what about us blokes?

I have a small ted baker messenger bag that is probably the same size as some women's handbags reach with all the cr&p they put in them.

Do you think this would be allowed or would they make me also weigh it as part of the cabin allowance taking me over the limit? I guess I could buy one of those really small shoulder bags instead if the messenger bag would be too big and they would class it as a cabin bag and not a handbag?

I was just going to keep my camera, and Ukrainian and Russian phrase books in here and maybe passport and all my tickets and information etc.

If this would be problematic then I could upgrade to a bigger checked suitcase as they are giving 50% discount if I do it 24 hours before the flight.

The information on their website says the following but it doesn't indicate what they class as a handbag and if men are allowed the equivalent?

In addition to hand baggage, the following items can be carried on board free of charge:

1 handbag or purse;
1 small camera or binoculars;
1 personal laptop;
reading material;
1 umbrella or walking stick;
1 overcoat;
1 pair of crutches.
The total weight of these items shall not exceed 5 kg.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Baggage rules on planes

Postby Lootman » February 3rd, 2018, 2:59 pm

I fly a lot and almost never check a bag. I have a wheely bag that fits into the overhead bins and then a small'ish backpack that goes there or under the seat in front. I've never been stopped boarding with both bags, although I should mention that I don't use low-cost airlines with their more picky rules.

The problem is more finding a place if you are boarding late and the overhead bins are full, as they often are. The cabin crew may then make you check the bag and put it in the hold. Those bags should be available as you leave the aircraft rather than on the carousel. But again, I can't speak for every airline.

I routinely see people carry on more than the rules say, so I suspect it is down to the gate agent to intervene, or just let it slide.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 3rd, 2018, 3:00 pm

If they allow a woman a "handbag" then they will have to allow a man the same.

John

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » February 3rd, 2018, 3:02 pm

Yes with any mature airline, but potentially an over zealous employee on a rag bag airline may weigh it although I've never seen it happen.

It's a big 'no' on grounds of style of course... :D

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » February 3rd, 2018, 3:47 pm

To get a definitive answer, you'll need to tell us which airline.

At least one of the budget carriers does not permit any additional bag (including handbags) - leading to the farce of stuffing everything into the cabin bag to get through the gate, and then taking it out on the other side. In fact, unless you pay extra, you may risk your cabin baggage being put in the hold anyway (free) if the flight is busy - so you need to be prepared to grab essentials out of it at the gate anyway!

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » February 3rd, 2018, 3:59 pm

I flew BA yesterday and as well as the main pretty decent sized carry-on bag I was also allowed to take on a laptop bag of up to 40cm x 30cm x 15cm which is a pretty big laptop bag. The list from your airline web page that you cited includes "1 personal laptop". I assume they don't expect it to be carried under your arm without protection so if you have a laptop with a case then you could always use the laptop case as your manbag (assuming that you are leaving the laptop at home or packing it in the other bag).

In case of doubt it's not a bad idea to clarify with them on the phone that the laptop does refer to a separately carried laptop bag (and if so what are the dimension limits). If it does than might be the way to go. I certainly didn't have a laptop in my laptop bag on my flight yesterday.

- Julian

john10001
2 Lemon pips

Postby john10001 » February 3rd, 2018, 4:30 pm

chas49 wrote:To get a definitive answer, you'll need to tell us which airline.

At least one of the budget carriers does not permit any additional bag (including handbags) - leading to the farce of stuffing everything into the cabin bag to get through the gate, and then taking it out on the other side. In fact, unless you pay extra, you may risk your cabin baggage being put in the hold anyway (free) if the flight is busy - so you need to be prepared to grab essentials out of it at the gate anyway!

It is Ukrainian International Airlines.

I had looked at the seat reservation system before I booked the tickets and chose not to reserve a seat. It cost £6 or £7 to reserves seats but I saw that flying out the plane looks virtually empty so I didn't. I believe I might have a choice of seats. The flight out is at 3 am in the morning. Coming back mid-week leaving at a better time in the morning from Kyiv.

john10001
2 Lemon pips

Postby john10001 » February 3rd, 2018, 5:41 pm

Julian wrote:I flew BA yesterday and as well as the main pretty decent sized carry-on bag I was also allowed to take on a laptop bag of up to 40cm x 30cm x 15cm which is a pretty big laptop bag. The list from your airline web page that you cited includes "1 personal laptop". I assume they don't expect it to be carried under your arm without protection so if you have a laptop with a case then you could always use the laptop case as your manbag (assuming that you are leaving the laptop at home or packing it in the other bag).

In case of doubt it's not a bad idea to clarify with them on the phone that the laptop does refer to a separately carried laptop bag (and if so what are the dimension limits). If it does than might be the way to go. I certainly didn't have a laptop in my laptop bag on my flight yesterday.

- Julian

Excellent! I think my Ted Baker Messenger bag is approximately 40x30x10 in cm though I don't really understand the metric system. So maybe I will be okay?

The airline allows up to an additional 5kg with a handbag and other items apart from the 7kg cabin baggage.

I don't think I will get anywhere near that.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » February 8th, 2018, 8:41 pm

john10001 wrote:It is Ukrainian International Airlines..

All I'd say is be careful!

http://www.airlinequality.com/airline-r ... -airlines/

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Airline_R ... l-Airlines

Return to “Does anyone know?”