Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Compassionate Leave

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
MrCake
Lemon Pip

Compassionate Leave

Postby MrCake » February 7th, 2018, 4:59 pm

I realise this may be a "how long is a piece of string?" question, but....

What is "normal" for a company to offer as days off paid and/or unpaid for compassionate leave (in our case this is death or serious illness of a close relative)? We are replacing our "off the shelf" employee handbook with one comprising policies written for us in conjunction with new employment contracts (which BTW have all been accepted by employees). The lawyers who have written the contacts and policies won't be drawn on what is normal. We have no intention of being mean with this policy, but just trying to get an idea as to where to pitch it. I have my own thoughts but would like to hear from others first - either what you have experienced in other companies or what you think would be right. The policy does have some overriding "the company will give you more if necessary" wording.

Thanks

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Compassionate Leave

Postby swill453 » February 7th, 2018, 5:29 pm

I just checked an old employment contract I have, and it says:
Time off for Urgent Reasons/Compassionate Leave

If you need to take time off for urgent reasons or as compassionate leave please refer to the Special Leave Policy in force at the time. This is available on the HR section of the Intranet.

I realise this is a copout, but maybe something worth considering if you want to be flexible. For example if someone starts taking the pee you can tighten it up without changing everyone's contract.

Scott.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » February 7th, 2018, 5:47 pm

It may be different in the public sector, but IME the answer is "none". Don't think I have ever had (or offered) a contract with explicit "right" to compassionate leave. I've always expected to take it as holiday.

Which isn't to say employers might not offer additional unpaid time off. For example, if you had already used/booked all your annual leave. But it would be entirely "at the employer's discretion".

I suppose it may be different in a role where you have shifts/cover and are expected to book leave way in advance. In that case, it would be good to provide some explicit method for how and under what circumstances you could get "emergency" short term leave, without leaving the employer in the lurch.

Gryff

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » February 7th, 2018, 6:05 pm

The norm is none.

But, a common one I have seen is: one day for any funeral, three days for close family funeral and five where you are the closest relative.
In terms of 'other' compassion (relationship break up etc), three.

All the above at manager's discretion. None of it is an 'entitlement' and certainly never a contractual right.

Ime, lawyers are terrible at drawing up employee policies. I would definitely advise making all policies non contractual.

Mel

MrCake
Lemon Pip

Postby MrCake » February 7th, 2018, 6:15 pm

Thank you for your replies. Just to be clear, what I am asking about is for our employee handbook, not the actual employee contracts. Both the contract and the handbook state that the handbook policies are non-contractual, so we can change them at any time.

I am veering towards making it all discretionary.

pendas
2 Lemon pips

Postby pendas » February 7th, 2018, 8:28 pm

The company I worked for gave 3 days for an immediate family member with anything beyond that being at the discretion of the department manager.

In reality an employee would get at least a week and probably more combined with some annual leave. How an employee was treated in such circumstances was of course visible to others in the workplace and a compassionate response furthered good relations with the workforce.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » February 8th, 2018, 1:16 am

In your handbook make it management discretion only, with default being none. Otherwise you can be hung out to dry for not acting in accordance with your norm.

regards, dspp

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » February 8th, 2018, 10:31 am

When my dad died, I got 5 days compassionate leave as he was an immediate family member. You also get 1 day leave to attend a funeral of a relative (aunt, grandparent etc). I think anything more than that then you are expected to take holiday or, in the case of one work colleague several sick notes from the doctor.

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » February 8th, 2018, 10:31 am

We say that everything is discretionary but for immediate family only we give 2 days paid leave, immediate being child, grandchild, parent, grandparent or sibling. Any unpaid leave is entirely discretionary. We've fortunately never had anyone having to cope with the death of a child, so our compassion in those circumstances has never been tested.

Someone I know who works in public service was off for three months unpaid after her mother (who was in her 70s) died. I'm not sure our compassion would have lasted quite that long.

DM

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 8th, 2018, 10:45 am

FWIW our staff handbook says

A leave of absence with pay will be granted in the event of death in the immediate family (spouse, children, parents, siblings, stepparent, stepchild, grandparents, grandchild, parents-in-law, brother, or sister-in-law) of an employee of up to three (3) days. At the discretion of the management, this leave may be extended with or without pay in cases of great distance or severe emotional hardship.
With prior approval, time off without pay may be arranged for an employee who wishes to attend the funeral of other relatives or close friends

didds

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Postby Loup321 » February 8th, 2018, 11:29 am

I'm public sector, and we get up to 5 days for own child, partner, or parent (or partner's parent if we're arranging the funeral). 2 days for other close relatives, and up to 1 day for anyone else. An additional 5 days if the employee has to travel to another country.

There is also discretion, such as if the employee was brought up by grandparents, and managers should be compassionate about annual leave being used to cover other things to do with bereavement.

Hope that's useful. This would be the very generous end of the spectrum, I think.

taylor20
Lemon Pip

Postby taylor20 » February 8th, 2018, 12:25 pm

Loup321 wrote:... and up to 1 day for anyone else. An additional 5 days if the employee has to travel to another country.

That is generous!

I can just picture the scene...

HR rep: I understand you missed a week of work in October last year?

Bob: (desperately thinking up an excuse) err... Yes, I'm a big Tom Petty fan, I just had to be there, you know.

Return to “Does anyone know?”