Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Polite Discussion - Trump

Raise issues with Admin (Stooz, Clariman, Redsturgeon) e.g. alert to something important on the site or ask Admin about a moderation decision. You will be answered, but there is no response time guarantee.
XFool
Lemon Quarter

Polite Discussion - Trump

Postby XFool » October 7th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Moderator Message:
Can we please try to moderate the language here. Any further swearing like we've seen in recent posts and there is likely to be deletions required. Cheers - Itsallaguess

Does that mean we can't use terms such as "bullshit", "bullshitter", "BS" when they come up in discussions about Trump?

Because, IMO, that means we cannot seriously discuss Trump. ;)

BTW - It was not me who first used the term "bullshit" while commenting on Trump.

Lootman
Lemon Quarter

Re: Polite Discussion - Trump

Postby Lootman » October 7th, 2018, 1:10 pm

XFool wrote:Does that mean we can't use terms such as "bullshit", "bullshitter", "BS" when they come up in discussions about Trump?

If your post is about moderation policy then it is more appropriately made on the Biscuit Board

But when discussing Trump or any other politician it is perhaps best to stick to facts and your views about those facts. So it is OK to say you disagree with Trump but not to say that he is an idiot, or a bullshitter, or a liar, or a child molester, or whatever opinion you may have.

You should not assume that your opinions are facts. They are merely opinions. The key is to be able to discuss a third party without being rude about them nor, by implication, being rude towards fellow Lemons who support Trump.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter

Postby Itsallaguess » October 7th, 2018, 1:15 pm

XFool wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
Moderator Message:
Can we please try to moderate the language here. Any further swearing like we've seen in recent posts and there is likely to be deletions required. Cheers - Itsallaguess

Does that mean we can't use terms such as "bullshit", "bullshitter", "BS" when they come up in discussions about Trump?

I can really only speak for myself here, but I'd like to think that the odd expletive in a robust discussion can sometimes be ignored in some circumstances, so long as it's in no way meant personally between posters, especially if we're talking about the PD board. However, there comes a point where gratuitous use of it anywhere will rightly be pulled up, as I'm sure you'll understand....

XFool wrote:
BTW - It was not me who first used the term "bullshit" while commenting on Trump.

No, but you were the poster who went too far and gratuitously used it on the thread you're talking about, where I then posted the above request.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

XFool
Lemon Quarter

Postby XFool » October 7th, 2018, 1:31 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
XFool wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
Moderator Message:

I can really only speak for myself here, but I'd like to think that the odd expletive in a robust discussion can sometimes be ignored in some circumstances, so long as it's in no way meant personally between posters, especially if we're talking about the PD board. However, there comes a point where gratuitous use of it anywhere will rightly be pulled up, as I'm sure you'll understand....

XFool wrote:

No, but you were the poster who went too far and gratuitously used it on the thread you're talking about, where I then posted the above request.

But that's the problem! Both the original user (who, in context, was putting it forward as a Trump virtue) and myself (who was using it as a Trump vice) were using it as a well known word with a well known meaning. AFAIAC, neither of us were using it as an "expletive", or myself "gratuitously". Anymore than I am (or your are) using the word 'the' "gratuitously" in this post. When does emphasis become gratuitous?

It is a word with academic respectability: Wikipedia

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter

Postby Itsallaguess » October 7th, 2018, 1:37 pm

XFool wrote:
When does emphasis become gratuitous?

Well I think eight times in a single post is pushing it a bit....

XFool wrote:
It is a word with academic respectability

There's lots of words that we can use.

Please try to think of another one.

This is my final post on the matter. If you're not happy with my request to tone it down then please follow it up with Stooz or Clariman.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

PinkDalek
Lemon Quarter

Postby PinkDalek » October 7th, 2018, 3:36 pm

Lootman wrote:If your post is about moderation policy then it is more appropriately made on the Biscuit Board...

Room 101 is the correct place nowadays (where this topic is currently):

See viewtopic.php?p=164178#p164178

Return to “Room 101”