Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Polite Discussion - Trump

Raise issues with Admin (Stooz, Clariman, Redsturgeon) e.g. alert to something important on the site or ask Admin about a moderation decision. You will be answered, but there is no response time guarantee.
XFool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2883
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm
Been thanked: 167 times

Polite Discussion - Trump

#172056

Postby XFool » October 7th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Moderator Message:
Can we please try to moderate the language here. Any further swearing like we've seen in recent posts and there is likely to be deletions required. Cheers - Itsallaguess

Does that mean we can't use terms such as "bullshit", "bullshitter", "BS" when they come up in discussions about Trump?

Because, IMO, that means we cannot seriously discuss Trump. ;)

BTW - It was not me who first used the term "bullshit" while commenting on Trump.

Lootman
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4969
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 792 times

Re: Polite Discussion - Trump

#172064

Postby Lootman » October 7th, 2018, 1:10 pm

XFool wrote:Does that mean we can't use terms such as "bullshit", "bullshitter", "BS" when they come up in discussions about Trump?

Because, IMO, that means we cannot seriously discuss Trump. ;)

If your post is about moderation policy then it is more appropriately made on the Biscuit Board

But when discussing Trump or any other politician it is perhaps best to stick to facts and your views about those facts. So it is OK to say you disagree with Trump but not to say that he is an idiot, or a bullshitter, or a liar, or a child molester, or whatever opinion you may have.

You should not assume that your opinions are facts. They are merely opinions. The key is to be able to discuss a third party without being rude about them nor, by implication, being rude towards fellow Lemons who support Trump.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2910
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:16 pm
Has thanked: 821 times
Been thanked: 1700 times

Re: Polite Discussion - Trump

#172068

Postby Itsallaguess » October 7th, 2018, 1:15 pm

XFool wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
Moderator Message:
Can we please try to moderate the language here. Any further swearing like we've seen in recent posts and there is likely to be deletions required. Cheers - Itsallaguess


Does that mean we can't use terms such as "bullshit", "bullshitter", "BS" when they come up in discussions about Trump?

Because, IMO, that means we cannot seriously discuss Trump. ;)


I can really only speak for myself here, but I'd like to think that the odd expletive in a robust discussion can sometimes be ignored in some circumstances, so long as it's in no way meant personally between posters, especially if we're talking about the PD board. However, there comes a point where gratuitous use of it anywhere will rightly be pulled up, as I'm sure you'll understand....

XFool wrote:
BTW - It was not me who first used the term "bullshit" while commenting on Trump.


No, but you were the poster who went too far and gratuitously used it on the thread you're talking about, where I then posted the above request.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

XFool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2883
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm
Been thanked: 167 times

Re: Polite Discussion - Trump

#172073

Postby XFool » October 7th, 2018, 1:31 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
XFool wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
Moderator Message:
Can we please try to moderate the language here. Any further swearing like we've seen in recent posts and there is likely to be deletions required. Cheers - Itsallaguess

Does that mean we can't use terms such as "bullshit", "bullshitter", "BS" when they come up in discussions about Trump?

Because, IMO, that means we cannot seriously discuss Trump. ;)

I can really only speak for myself here, but I'd like to think that the odd expletive in a robust discussion can sometimes be ignored in some circumstances, so long as it's in no way meant personally between posters, especially if we're talking about the PD board. However, there comes a point where gratuitous use of it anywhere will rightly be pulled up, as I'm sure you'll understand....

XFool wrote:
BTW - It was not me who first used the term "bullshit" while commenting on Trump.

No, but you were the poster who went too far and gratuitously used it on the thread you're talking about, where I then posted the above request.

But that's the problem! Both the original user (who, in context, was putting it forward as a Trump virtue) and myself (who was using it as a Trump vice) were using it as a well known word with a well known meaning. AFAIAC, neither of us were using it as an "expletive", or myself "gratuitously". Anymore than I am (or your are) using the word 'the' "gratuitously" in this post. When does emphasis become gratuitous?

It is a word with academic respectability: Wikipedia

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2910
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:16 pm
Has thanked: 821 times
Been thanked: 1700 times

Re: Polite Discussion - Trump

#172077

Postby Itsallaguess » October 7th, 2018, 1:37 pm

XFool wrote:
When does emphasis become gratuitous?


Well I think eight times in a single post is pushing it a bit....

XFool wrote:
It is a word with academic respectability


There's lots of words that we can use.

Please try to think of another one.

This is my final post on the matter. If you're not happy with my request to tone it down then please follow it up with Stooz or Clariman.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

PinkDalek
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3323
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:12 pm
Has thanked: 743 times
Been thanked: 802 times

Re: Polite Discussion - Trump

#172101

Postby PinkDalek » October 7th, 2018, 3:36 pm

Lootman wrote:If your post is about moderation policy then it is more appropriately made on the Biscuit Board...


Room 101 is the correct place nowadays (where this topic is currently):

See viewtopic.php?p=164178#p164178

XFool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2883
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm
Been thanked: 167 times

Re: Polite Discussion - Trump

#189335

Postby XFool » December 26th, 2018, 11:56 am

Just idly re-reading this. It really does strike me as pretty silly (and wrong)!

Itsallaguess wrote:
XFool wrote:
When does emphasis become gratuitous?

Well I think eight times in a single post is pushing it a bit....

XFool wrote:
It is a word with academic respectability

There's lots of words that we can use.

Please try to think of another one.

This is my final post on the matter. If you're not happy with my request to tone it down then please follow it up with Stooz or Clariman.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Well the only accurate equivalent I can think of is the somewhat dated 'humbug'. Along with 'humbuggery'. Better stick with that then. ;)

From my 1990 edition of The Concise Oxford Dictionary:

humbug n. & v.1 deceptive or false talk or behaviour. 2 an imposter. 3 Brit. a hard boiled sweet usu. flavoured with peppermint. —v. (humbugged, humbugging) 1 intr. be or behave like an imposter. 2 tr. deceive, hoax. □□ humbuggery n. [18th c.: orig. unkn.]

Still seems to me that the more US centric bullshit is perfectly appropriate for an American President. Plus, that article I quoted, 'On Bullshit', was by an American academic.

PinkDalek
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3323
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:12 pm
Has thanked: 743 times
Been thanked: 802 times

Re: Polite Discussion - Trump

#189341

Postby PinkDalek » December 26th, 2018, 12:27 pm

XFool wrote:From my 1990 edition of The Concise Oxford Dictionary: ...


Whereas my Nineteen Eighty-Four edition of The Pocket Oxford Dictionary has no entry for the word you seek to use.

The book bearing that name is said to have introduced terms and concepts, such as … Big Brother, doublethink, thoughtcrime, Newspeak, Room 101 ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four

Online https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/bullshit one finds vulgar slang.

XFool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2883
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm
Been thanked: 167 times

Re: Polite Discussion - Trump

#189348

Postby XFool » December 26th, 2018, 1:49 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
XFool wrote:From my 1990 edition of The Concise Oxford Dictionary: ...

Whereas my Nineteen Eighty-Four edition of The Pocket Oxford Dictionary has no entry for the word you seek to use.

Well my 1969 edition of The Penguin English(!) Dictionary has it:

bullshit n (vulg sl) nonsense, humbug(!).

Wonder what Fowler has to say?

If I may be allowed to quote a short extract from my 2nd Edition of The Economist's Style Guide - Concise Version:

"Some people believe the possibility of giving offence, causing embarrassment, lowering self-esteem, reinforcing stereotypes, perpetuating prejudice, victimising, marginalising or discriminating to be more important than stating the truth, never mind the chance of doing so with verve or panache. They are wrong. Do not self-bowdlerise your prose. You may be neither Galileo nor Salman Rusdie, but you too may sometimes be right to cause offence. Your first duty is to the truth."

I rest my case.

PinkDalek
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3323
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:12 pm
Has thanked: 743 times
Been thanked: 802 times

Re: Polite Discussion - Trump

#189358

Postby PinkDalek » December 26th, 2018, 3:15 pm

XFool wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:
XFool wrote:From my 1990 edition of The Concise Oxford Dictionary: ...

Whereas my Nineteen Eighty-Four edition of The Pocket Oxford Dictionary has no entry for the word you seek to use.

Well my 1969 edition of The Penguin English(!) Dictionary has it:

bullshit n (vulg sl) nonsense, humbug(!).



Your dictionary would appear to include a number of superfluous exclamation marks but, despite them, it is good to see you've also managed to find further confirmation that the word is considered to be vulgar slang.

I've nothing against slang btw but vulgar!

Case closed.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2910
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:16 pm
Has thanked: 821 times
Been thanked: 1700 times

Re: Polite Discussion - Trump

#189364

Postby Itsallaguess » December 26th, 2018, 4:01 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
Case closed.


For the avoidance of any doubt whatsoever PD, this particular case was closed some time ago...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess


Return to “Room 101”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest