Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

HYP Purity (or, when does an HYP become not an HYP?)

Raise issues with Admin (Stooz, Clariman, Redsturgeon) e.g. alert to something important on the site or ask Admin about a moderation decision. You will be answered, but there is no response time guarantee.
Stonge
Lemon Slice

Re: HYP Purity (or, when does an HYP become not an HYP?)

Postby Stonge » December 31st, 2018, 3:44 pm

melonfool wrote:
Stonge wrote:Hmmm...

Another post deleted this morning by heavy handed unnecessary moderation and two valuable contributors considering throwing in the towel.

If a thread drifts too far off topic, as Gengulphus fears, just lock it.

I don't think you need to post here every time a post is deleted. Maybe read what this board is for and then decide whether to make a post?

Mel

This is precisely how it should work. A response from Mel (even though he is a moderator, he's responding as a member) with an opinion on the relevance of my post, not just an arbitrary deletion by a single judge.

p.s. I did think this board was the place where moderation actions and philosophy could be critiqued, however I'm happy to be corrected if that is not the case.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 31st, 2018, 4:18 pm

Stonge wrote:
melonfool wrote:
Stonge wrote:Hmmm...

Another post deleted this morning by heavy handed unnecessary moderation and two valuable contributors considering throwing in the towel.

If a thread drifts too far off topic, as Gengulphus fears, just lock it.

I don't think you need to post here every time a post is deleted. Maybe read what this board is for and then decide whether to make a post?

Mel

This is precisely how it should work. A response from Mel (even though he is a moderator, he's responding as a member) with an opinion on the relevance of my post, not just an arbitrary deletion by a single judge.

p.s. I did think this board was the place where moderation actions and philosophy could be critiqued, however I'm happy to be corrected if that is not the case.

I am not a HE (don't presume people's sex, it's rude - though given how few women there are around here I suppose it was statistically most likely) and I am NOT a moderator.

Even if I were a moderator, they are allowed to just post, as people.

I don't understand your post, but if you are saying it was OK for someone to comment on it rather than a mod to remove it well, maybe a mod will remove it if someone reports it, maybe they will remove both - you could try reporting them to find out.

Anyway, what room 101 is for is documented here:

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=13513

As I said, you should try reading it. It's good manners to read guidance on any board before posting on it.

The key points are:

"If you wish to alert Admin to something, you can do that here e.g.

If you are unhappy with a moderation decision, have asked the moderator for clarification, and you still feel strongly enough to raise it again - then this is the place to do it.
Something very important about the website which Admin may have not seen"

So:

1) do you wish to alert admin to something? (and since earlier someone claimed not to know what is meant by 'admins', they are Clariman, Stooz and RedSturgeon)
2) is that 'something' a decision you are unhappy with?
3) have you asked the moderator concerned for clarification and yet still feel strongly enough to raise it?
4) OR is it something of importance you wish the admins to see?

As it doesn't seem to be your own post being moderated that you are complaining about, then I would assume pretty much none of the above applies, so no, this is not 'the place' for it. And no, from the post on what the board is for it does not seem to be a place for general criticism of moderation or of moderation philosophy.

This room was set up to stop all the whining on the Biscuit bar and allow that to be used for discussions of site improvements instead of circular arguments about moderation. The idea of this board seems to have been to limit the responses to moderation issues to a PM and then maybe a comment by an admin.

Sadly, it appears we now have two boards where people whinge about moderation. And not even decisions they have themselves been subjected to.

Mel

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Postby Stonge » December 31st, 2018, 6:30 pm

Mel, please accept my apologies for assuming that you were a he and not a she.

Thank you for the clarification about the purpose of room 101. It seems that I have read what you linked to but didn't realise its significance.

It's unfortunate that constructive comments about moderation can be viewed as 'whingeing' but I can see why discussion fatigue would quickly set in.

So I think that'll do from me on this particular effort. As E. C-G often says 'When the sun goes down it's probably dusk'.

8-)

Return to “Room 101”