Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

70% for Rory Stewart

Raise issues with Admin (Stooz, Clariman, Redsturgeon) e.g. alert to something important on the site or ask Admin about a moderation decision. You will be answered, but there is no response time guarantee.
XFool
Lemon Quarter

70% for Rory Stewart

Postby XFool » June 18th, 2019, 9:01 pm

#230477 Postby redsturgeon » June 18th, 2019, 2:10 pm
Moderator Message:
This thread has deteriorated and I have better things to do than delete endless off topic posts. I've locked the thread.

Personally I thought this was both petulant and unnecessary, given the perfectly amicable and quite reasonable discussion on the thread.

PinkDalek
Lemon Quarter

Re: 70% for Rory Stewart

Postby PinkDalek » June 18th, 2019, 9:08 pm

Presumably your post on here is after following the procedures outlined here:

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=13513

Has the Mod concerned had time to respond?

XFool
Lemon Quarter

Postby XFool » June 18th, 2019, 9:29 pm

PinkDalek wrote:Presumably your post on here is after following the procedures outlined here:

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=13513

Has the Mod concerned had time to respond?

I feel my post here is as arbitrary, unexplained and peremptory as the original in-thread decision.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » June 18th, 2019, 11:31 pm

You, along with others, may not have given a Rat's Rectum, but I notice that several RR's were taken anyway.

A shame, as it was getting almost lighthearted, a rarity for that place...

VRD

JoyofBrex8889
Lemon Slice

Postby JoyofBrex8889 » June 19th, 2019, 3:09 am

Richfool made the valid point that calling out rats in a previous resulted in post deletion, presumably on grounds of impoliteness, despite the fact the activity in question was legitimately known as “ratting”.

Then in the subsequent thread rat-rectum heavy content was apparently completely fine.

Double standards were pointed out, and the whole thing eliminated from the record.

It’s a ridiculous situation, but this is where the moderators have taken us. Let us all try to avoid the ‘R’ word as it will get bowdlerised.

TLDR; The word rats was banned on polite discussions, but was then used again with impunity resulting in justifiable confusion and questions.

XFool
Lemon Quarter

Postby XFool » June 19th, 2019, 8:27 am

vrdiver wrote:You, along with others, may not have given a Rat's Rectum, but I notice that several RR's were taken anyway.

A shame, as it was getting almost lighthearted, a rarity for that place...

VRD

My deleted posts I referred to were on the very subject of: "What is the actual subject of this thread?" - since that seemed to be part of the problem.

Although unanswered, I felt an entirely reasonable conclusion had been reached! Including somebody starting another thread and copying a post over to that, to which I replied. When I checked the old thread, simply to see if the topic had been sorted out, my posts (and others) had been removed without real explanation and it had been closed.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » June 19th, 2019, 9:53 am

For the benefit of anyone who wants to look at the thread in which this happened, it is viewtopic.php?f=63&t=18123.

Gengulphus

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » June 19th, 2019, 10:14 am

Actually the thread on which I referred to "rats jumping ship" was the one about Chuka having jumped ship to the Lib Dems.

I had used the expression as a colloquialism, one which is in common every day use and felt it should have been totally acceptable. I also felt that deleting the whole post was somewhat over-zealous, or was perhaps being moderated by a Chuka supporter. ;) If someone took issue with the word "rat", then that alone could have been xxxxxx'd out, instead of the whole post being deleted.

When later JoyofBrexit quoted my post that then disappeared, as did two other posts, one from Lootman, when I queried the use/acceptability of "rat's rectum". I thought some remainers were ganging up on me and "ratting me out" to the Mods unnecessarily. ;) So I felt trapped and quite ratted off by the whole situation.

I do now keep a copy of my posts.

Anyway, I have put all that behind me, and I don't think Rory will last much longer now, so this thread will likely "sink without a trace", or if that phrase is unacceptable "peter out".

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » June 19th, 2019, 10:48 am

richfool wrote:Actually the thread on which I referred to "rats jumping ship" was the one about Chuka having jumped ship to the Lib Dems.

To clarify my previous post, when I said "the thread in which this happened", I meant "the thread in which the event described in XFool's OP happened". And how about giving a link to the thread you're talking about, rather than relying on readers having read it and remembering it well enough to be able to find it again quickly?

Gengulphus

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » June 19th, 2019, 11:26 am

I assumed that it had been closed because it had strayed way off the original topic and It also had strayed far from being a "polite" discussion.
The moderator's comment that it had "deteriorated" was accurate. I would have added "severely".

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » June 19th, 2019, 12:02 pm

richfool wrote:Actually the thread on which I referred to "rats jumping ship" was the one about Chuka having jumped ship to the Lib Dems.

I had used the expression as a colloquialism, one which is in common every day use and felt it should have been totally acceptable. I also felt that deleting the whole post was somewhat over-zealous, or was perhaps being moderated by a Chuka supporter. ;) If someone took issue with the word "rat", then that alone could have been xxxxxx'd out, instead of the whole post being deleted.

When later JoyofBrexit quoted my post that then disappeared, as did two other posts, one from Lootman, when I queried the use/acceptability of "rat's rectum". I thought some remainers were ganging up on me and "ratting me out" to the Mods unnecessarily. ;) So I felt trapped and quite ratted off by the whole situation.

I do now keep a copy of my posts.

Anyway, I have put all that behind me, and I don't think Rory will last much longer now, so this thread will likely "sink without a trace", or if that phrase is unacceptable "peter out".

I smelt a rat before any of it kicked off.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » June 19th, 2019, 12:51 pm

Gengulphus wrote:

To clarify my previous post, when I said "the thread in which this happened", I meant "the thread in which the event described in XFool's OP happened". And how about giving a link to the thread you're talking about, rather than relying on readers having read it and remembering it well enough to be able to find it again quickly?

Gengulphus

There wasn't much point in providing a link to the other thread, as the posts in question have all long since been deleted, so there isn't really anything to read. However this was the "Chuka leaving to join the Lib Dems" topic:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=18096&start=20

Anyway I wasn't going to gnaw my leg off over this and have long since scurried off to attend to other matters.

redsturgeon
Lemon Quarter

Postby redsturgeon » June 19th, 2019, 1:31 pm

Moderator Message:
This thread now locked as it is outside the rules for this board.

If anyone has any issues with specific moderation decisions then you should PM for an explanation.

John

Return to “Room 101”