Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to monabri,Dod101,Anonymous,Gersemi,robbelg, for Donating to support the site

Blocking

Raise issues with Admin (Stooz, Clariman, Redsturgeon) e.g. alert to something important on the site or ask Admin about a moderation decision. You will be answered, but there is no response time guarantee.
XFool
Lemon Quarter

Blocking

Postby XFool » September 5th, 2019, 11:58 pm

I see I am not allowed to hide normal posts from 'Administrators' via the Friends/Foes setting. Why not?

Is there anything that can be done about this, or is there any intention of fixing this issue in future?

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Re: Blocking

Postby Clariman » September 6th, 2019, 10:15 am

Which do you mean...

You can't hide YOUR posts from the eyes of Administrators

Or

You can't hide Administrators' posts from your eyes?

Either way I think the software is probably working as it should but I can check.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Slice

Postby Howyoudoin » September 6th, 2019, 10:29 am

XFool wrote:I see I am not allowed to hide normal posts from 'Administrators' via the Friends/Foes setting. Why not?

Is there anything that can be done about this, or is there any intention of fixing this issue in future?

That's one of the drawbacks of asking community posters to also be Admins i'm afraid.

I've mentioned before that I don't think Admins should give their personal view on contentious issues, especially on Polite Discussions, where it could be suggested that they are using their bias to moderate the discussions.

But those are the rules as they stand, so we have to live by them.

HYD

XFool
Lemon Quarter

Postby XFool » September 6th, 2019, 10:29 am

Clariman wrote:Which do you mean...

You can't hide YOUR posts from the eyes of Administrators

Or

You can't hide Administrators' posts from your eyes?

Either way I think the software is probably working as it should but I can check.

I of course mean I cannot 'filter' any ordinary posts on a board by a user who is in the 'Administrator' group.

This shouldn't be a problem - for reasons I hold to be self-evident. It has recently become apparent to me that it is a problem, here on TLF.
Perhaps the solution is that anybody, while in the 'Administrator' group, be required to NOT POST ordinary posts on boards?

It has become clear to me there is potential for conflict of interest by being BOTH an Administrator and a normal poster on the boards. (I have seen this before on other BBs)

XFool
Lemon Quarter

Postby XFool » September 6th, 2019, 10:38 am

Howyoudoin wrote:
XFool wrote:I see I am not allowed to hide normal posts from 'Administrators' via the Friends/Foes setting. Why not?

That's one of the drawbacks of asking community posters to also be Admins i'm afraid.

I've mentioned before that I don't think Admins should give their personal view on contentious issues, especially on Polite Discussions, where it could be suggested that they are using their bias to moderate the discussions.

Rightly or wrongly I have never felt an issue with personal bias in moderation before.

HOWEVER - Personal attacks (apparently originating in some form of personal animosity) on a public BB from an Administrator ARE a whole new ball game AFAIAC.

Howyoudoin wrote:But those are the rules as they stand, so we have to live by them.

Not with the above we don't. Nor will we.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Slice

Postby Howyoudoin » September 6th, 2019, 10:45 am

XFool wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:

Rightly or wrongly I have never felt an issue with personal bias in moderation before.

HOWEVER - Personal attacks (apparently originating in some form of personal animosity) on a public BB from an Administrator ARE a whole new ball game AFAIAC.

Why would you want to 'hide' yourself from seeing personal animosity on these boards (from anyone) rather than report them to Clariman and Stooz for further investigation?

HYD

XFool
Lemon Quarter

Postby XFool » September 6th, 2019, 10:56 am

Howyoudoin wrote:Why would you want to 'hide' yourself from seeing personal animosity on these boards (from anyone) rather than report them to Clariman and Stooz for further investigation?

HYD

I don't think that's the quite the issue. If I don't see somebody's posts I am unlikely to reply to or comment or anything they post. Not entirely correct, as you can still see their posts if quoted by somebody else.

[Which, ironically enough is the original harmless(?) issue here. Somebody (not me) accidentally mis-attributed a post by one person to somebody else - an Administrator - which I then quoted in a reply. This resulted, for me, not in a simple pointing out of somebody else's innocent mistake and request for correction or acknowledgement of the error, but in a clear personal, malicious and IMO slanderous attack by said Administrator. Which has even been continued by said Administrator's further reply on the board.]

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 6th, 2019, 11:06 am

So there are two things here ....

There is a specific issue about some administrator posting, so I have asked the OP to provide me details via PM which I will look into.

Then there is the question whether Administrators' posts should be blocked as a potential solution to the above.

My response as site owner is that I would rather address any underlying problem if there is one, rather than change the way the board software works. I think it is quite appropriate that Admin posts cannot be blocked because they may contain important site announcements or moderation remarks.

I will lock this topic.

Clariman

Return to “Room 101”