Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to ExFM,ErroneousBee,GSVsowhat,Shelford,Hypster, for Donating to support the site

Recent Posts

Raise issues with Admin (Stooz, Clariman, Redsturgeon) e.g. alert to something important on the site or ask Admin about a moderation decision. You will be answered, but there is no response time guarantee.
XFool
Lemon Half

Recent Posts

Postby XFool » November 23rd, 2020, 9:54 am

The thread from yesterday, "Is this BBC bias?" in the Beerpig's Snug board, has disappeared. If this has been moved to the Polite discussions board (I do not know), as I have not agreed to this and I do not post on that board, would you please delete all my posts from the thread on that board.

XFool

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Recent Posts

Postby redsturgeon » November 23rd, 2020, 9:59 am

Moderator Message:
We are looking into this and will respond.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 23rd, 2020, 10:13 am

XFool wrote:
The thread from yesterday, "Is this BBC bias?" in the Beerpig's Snug board, has disappeared. If this has been moved to the Polite discussions board (I do not know), as I have not agreed to this and I do not post on that board, would you please delete all my posts from the thread on that board.

I moved the thread to the Polite Discussions board this morning -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=26353

The original political topic and the manner that it was subsequently debated and argued in was not appropriate for the BeerPig's Snug area it was originally posted in, and I must say that your posts played a heavy responsibility in that decision to move the thread....

If you choose not to use the Polite Discussions area, then that's your choice, but it doesn't then give you carte blanche freedom to continue strongly debating and arguing political issues elsewhere, and given that this is a regular theme for you, I'm not willing to spend any more time dissecting that thread just on your say so...

If you need any further work doing on it, someone else will have to do it, but they should do so knowing the above reasons, and decide if they too wish to spend any more time on it as well...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 23rd, 2020, 10:24 am

XFool wrote:The thread from yesterday, "Is this BBC bias?" in the Beerpig's Snug board, has disappeared. If this has been moved to the Polite discussions board (I do not know), as I have not agreed to this and I do not post on that board, would you please delete all my posts from the thread on that board.

XFool

This site is a financial and investment discussion site, but we are also happy to host discussions on other topics. This includes political and related discussions for which we have a dedicated board: Polite Discussions (PD). When the site was first created everybody had access to PD by default. However, being respectful that many people do not want to see politics aired on a financial website, we changed it to an opt-in board.

Given your interest in political discussion, you may wish to opt in to that board. It is easy to do. Simply click on your username at the top right of the screen, then User Control panel, then User Groups, then click on the radio button for PD.

Any overtly political threads elsewhere to the site will continue to be moved to PD.

Thanks
Clariman

XFool
Lemon Half

Postby XFool » November 26th, 2020, 12:27 pm

Important Change to Site Rules/Ts & Cs

viewtopic.php?p=360215#p360215

Uh, huh?

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 26th, 2020, 9:42 pm

XFool wrote:Important Change to Site Rules/Ts & Cs

viewtopic.php?p=360215#p360215

Uh, huh?

The relevant part of the new rules to this thread appears to me to be the bit I've emboldened in the following quote:

When you post content (including but not limited to text, images, video or other media) on The Lemon Fool website (Site), you agree and represent that you have created that content or are making a limited quotation from others under "fair use" terms. Additionally when you post such content you expressly grant Lemonfool Ltd. a perpetual, irrevocable, fully transferable, non-exclusive, worldwide royalty-free licence to republish that content on our Site and to use/redistribute/make available that content in any format and on any platform, either now known or hereinafter invented anywhere in the world as part of an edited compilation or otherwise. As the licence is perpetual and irrevocable, this means that we do not have to remove your posts even if requested by you and even if you are no longer a registered user. By posting content, you warrant that you have the right to grant us the non-exclusive licence described above.

A rough summary is that when you post anything on TLF from now on, you give them permission to use it as they wish, and cannot subsequently withdraw that permission. The particular relevance to this thread is that for your posts from now on, you can ask TLF to delete them, but you cannot demand it.

And my guess (*) is that they'll agree to delete single posts when deleting them doesn't make the thread they're in hard to follow, provided such requests aren't made too often. But they're likely to refuse to follow requests like "please delete all my posts" because of the huge amount of work involved, or requests like "please delete all my posts in this thread" from someone who has been a major participant in the thread because deleting them would leave the thread full of non sequiturs.

(*) And I really do mean "guess": I'm not speaking for TLF, stooz, Clariman, the site's moderators, or indeed anyone other than me. I'm just trying to help you understand the rule change and what I think it's likely to mean in practice.

Gengulphus

Return to “Room 101”