Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Useful online resources for company analysis

Analysing companies' finances and value from their financial statements using ratios and formulae
TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Useful online resources for company analysis

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » September 18th, 2018, 1:36 pm

Moderator Message:
Please also see this topic's precursor - Chris

I wanted to start to pool online resource, for freebie calculations of companys' health and finance.

It just so happens that recently we asked a couple of questions on other boards recently, relating to average PER (price per earnings ratio) and average dividend yield for various UK markets. Despite these resources describing whole markets (not single company feature), these resources are useful to grade single companies against, and so are a reasonable enough way to kick off this thread:

Price over earnings:
https://markets.ft.com/data/indices/tea ... =UKX.P:FSI
https://markets.ft.com/data/indices/tea ... =NMX.P:FSI

Dividend yield:
https://markets.ft.com/data/indices/tea ... =UKX.D:FSI
https://markets.ft.com/data/indices/tea ... =NMX.D:FSI

and as Gengulphus mentions, further letter substitutions give other datas from similar markets:

Gengulphus wrote:Some more options along the same lines:

* You can replace ".P" or ".D" by ".T" to get the total-return version of the index.

* You can replace "UKX" or "NMX" to get other indices, with:

ASX for the FTSE AllShare
HIX for the FTSE350 Higher Yield
LOX for the FTSE350 Lower Yield
MCX for the FTSE250 (I believe the "MC" stands for Mid Cap - it certainly helps with remembering it)
SMX for the FTSE SmallCap

That's not a complete set of options in either case - it's just the ones I have available without having to search for them.

If you want the straight capital-only version of the index, you need a different set of codes. Instead of the whole "UKX.D" or whatever, use:

FTSE for the FTSE100
FTSA for the FTSE350
FTAL for the FTSE AllShare
FTHY for the FTSE350 Higher Yield
FTLY for the FTSE350 Lower Yield
FTSM for the FTSE250
SMC for the FTSE SmallCap

The 'natural' thing to do would be just to omit the ".D", ".P" or ".T" entirely, but that doesn't work, or in the case of "UKX", it produces a page about the euro version of the FTSE100...

M&M
Moderator Message:
Links mended. - Chris

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Re: Useful online resources for company analysis

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » September 18th, 2018, 1:48 pm

Another useful online resource was shared to us by Itsallaguess, and is from the MorningStar site.

This link aims the browser at some useful ratios this time for Next Plc (NXT)

http://financials.morningstar.com/ratio ... region=gbr

in addition, the "performance", "financials", and "valuations" tab are also unrestricted. (I believe other parts of the site are available only upon subscription).

And if the ticker part of the above link, i.e. "t=nxt", is substituted for another ticker name, e.g. "t=rdsb", then the corresponding company's details are displayed instead. In fact if anyone knows a slightly better way to drive the site, then please share that here, though I speculate that that is where the value of subscribing comes into effect.

Any more links which supply reasonably accurate company analysis please post them here.

thanks
M&M

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » October 4th, 2018, 7:09 am

I have been considering reviewing the earnings power value technique of stock valuation for a little while now. I'm not going to right now. But whilst I wait for a test run to complete over here at work, I googled and came across a site, which almost resembles a blog, by quite an interesting chap right here:

https://www.oldschoolvalue.com/about.php

(I note that his investment mantra is "Valuation, valuation, valuation".)

Cutting to the chase, if this test takes much longer to complete I'll probably get my head into this, his article discussing EPV:

https://www.oldschoolvalue.com/blog/sto ... microsoft/

Matt

EDIT: You will need to register an account to read all the blogger's articles. Just noticed that - sorry. I'll take a look later, and see if it's worthwhile and then post back.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » October 16th, 2018, 8:04 am

Perhaps people are already aware of this one? Adjust the ticker code at the tail end of the URL, and I think terminate with .L (presumably for LSE) and some half decent information is available for free. (Note I only briefly reviewed the site, since I was only really there to inspect my US employers stock, and it was only out of curiosity that I decided to look up UK stocks. )

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/MSLH.L

I followed a couple of a links and got to a free valuation - before eventually being asked if I wanted to login to "simplywallst".

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » February 25th, 2019, 9:48 am

Figures for the FTSE UK indices:

https://www.ftse.com/products/indices/uk

thegreatzulu

Postby thegreatzulu » February 28th, 2019, 10:58 am

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:I followed a couple of a links and got to a free valuation - before eventually being asked if I wanted to login to "simplywallst".

I've actually given those guys a go in the past, they do fundamental analysis against a set of rules, each pass that happens is another "point" for that stock, and they do this to create the spider graphic.

It's pretty nice site to use personally.

I've picked up Genuine Impact now as it does something very similar but they do it as a comparison rather than set rules for you to pass.

That said it is black box with how it works and app only, so it's great that it's free but you have to use your mobile.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » February 28th, 2019, 12:03 pm

thegreatzulu wrote:
TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:I followed a couple of a links and got to a free valuation - before eventually being asked if I wanted to login to "simplywallst".

I've actually given those guys a go in the past, they do fundamental analysis against a set of rules, each pass that happens is another "point" for that stock, and they do this to create the spider graphic.

It's pretty nice site to use personally.

I've picked up Genuine Impact now as it does something very similar but they do it as a comparison rather than set rules for you to pass.

That said it is black box with how it works and app only, so it's great that it's free but you have to use your mobile.

Yes, despite trying to do my own stock valuations I like to use sites like SWS as quick check to see how close on the money my own attempts are. Problem is all the emails you get sent! :lol:

thegreatzulu

Postby thegreatzulu » February 28th, 2019, 1:00 pm

I must have unsubscribed from most of them? I do get a bi-weekly emailing reminding me about the one portfolio I setup on there reminding me how badly my SAGE investment is doing!

RocketMan

Postby RocketMan » March 6th, 2019, 1:53 pm

thegreatzulu wrote:I've picked up Genuine Impact now as it does something very similar but they do it as a comparison rather than set rules for you to pass.

Thanks for the suggestion, it feels like it has a bit of a way to go but I'm enjoying it so far. I've been recommending it to my friends. I'm more excited for the league and competing!

thommiee1

Postby thommiee1 » March 12th, 2019, 8:24 pm

Hi,

Not sure whether I'm in the right place or not, but I have a question: I am looking for the historical (from '90) dividend yields of the FTSE 100 and/or FTSE All Share Index, for some personal research and interests. Do you have an idea where I can obtain them?

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » March 13th, 2019, 5:54 am

thommiee1 wrote:Hi,

Not sure whether I'm in the right place or not, but I have a question: I am looking for the historical (from '90) dividend yields of the FTSE 100 and/or FTSE All Share Index, for some personal research and interests. Do you have an idea where I can obtain them?

In my opinion this is the correct board. But others may have different views.You could create a new topic (thread) on this "Company Analysis" board, with it's title including

"Historical" "dividend yields" "FTSE"

and see what kind of responses you receive. I'd certainly be interested in that information. Give it a go.

Matt

Return to “Company Analysis”