Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

The discount rate when used in share valuation models

Analysing companies' finances and value from their financial statements using ratios and formulae
Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: The discount rate when used in share valuation models

Postby Alaric » October 1st, 2018, 7:43 pm

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:
X = y + z

then z >= y more times than not?

You can construct an example for yourself on the back of a spreadsheet.

Assume 4% dividend yield, price of 100, dividends increase at 2% a year "inflation", discount rate 6%. The next dividend is thus 4.08 due in a year's time. Total discounted value of dividends over the next 10 years is 32.6. Assume the share price just grows with inflation so it's 121.9 in ten years time. This discounts back to 68.1 to bring us back to near enough 100. (It's not a coincidence that 4%+2%=6%)

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Re: The discount rate when used in share valuation models

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » October 2nd, 2018, 6:14 am

Alaric wrote:
TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:
X = y + z

then z >= y more times than not?

You can construct an example for yourself on the back of a spreadsheet.

Assume 4% dividend yield, price of 100, dividends increase at 2% a year "inflation", discount rate 6%. The next dividend is thus 4.08 due in a year's time. Total discounted value of dividends over the next 10 years is 32.6. Assume the share price just grows with inflation so it's 121.9 in ten years time. This discounts back to 68.1 to bring us back to near enough 100. (It's not a coincidence that 4%+2%=6%)

Sorry Alaric,

But I don't think that's the exact scenario. The z is not the share price. It is an estimate of the future value of the book equity, i.e. NAV, (i.e. Total assets - Total Liabilities).

That's what me and Geng were referring to earlier. There's a worked example in this book.

Perhaps I'll write a thread about it this coming weekend.

Matt

Return to “Company Analysis”