Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Ordinary Share Descriptions with prices

Analysing companies' finances and value from their financial statements using ratios and formulae
TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Ordinary Share Descriptions with prices

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » February 7th, 2019, 6:30 am

One thing that's puzzled me, is the official name for a share, e.g.

LEGAL & GENERAL GROUP PLC ORD 2 1/2P 
PERSIMMON PLC ORD 10P
NEXT PLC ORD 10P

seems to followed by a value in pence. I used to wonder what the figure meant, but now I think I know (and sorry if I'm seem really dumb, and that this is "really obvious") what it is, i.e. it is just the original price of the share from the IPO?

thanks Matt

(Out of interest I found the above descriptions here:
https://www.londonstockexchange.com/exc ... XSET1.html
https://www.londonstockexchange.com/exc ... XSET1.html
https://www.londonstockexchange.com/exc ... XSET1.html )

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Ordinary Share Descriptions with prices

Postby tjh290633 » February 7th, 2019, 9:09 am

Matt, ordinary shares have a nominal value, the difference between that and the share price being the shareholders' premium. You will note that, when a company has a return of capital, the nominal share price is reduced accordingly. Likewise if there is a share split or a subsidiary is hived off.

When a company floats, the shares are given a nominal value, like £1 or 25p. New shares may not be issued for less than the nominal value, which led to some tricky footwork when Segro took over Brixton Estates.

TJH

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » February 7th, 2019, 10:18 am

tjh290633 wrote:Matt, ordinary shares have a nominal value, the difference between that and the share price being the shareholders' premium. You will note that, when a company has a return of capital, the nominal share price is reduced accordingly. Likewise if there is a share split or a subsidiary is hived off.

When a company floats, the shares are given a nominal value, like £1 or 25p. New shares may not be issued for less than the nominal value, which led to some tricky footwork when Segro took over Brixton Estates.

TJH

Oh okay....so in other words the value that I referred to earlier e.g. the "2 1/2P" pertinent to the LGEN share, is just the "nominal value" that you mentioned?

Also thanks for the additional remark mentioning "shareholder's premium" - I had seen that term (or similar) in balance sheet I believe.

e.g. "Share Premium Account"

I'll look into this some more later - am at work now.

thanks again, Matt

thegreatzulu

Postby thegreatzulu » February 8th, 2019, 1:47 pm

I'm glad you asked!

I always figured it was just the original listing price per share like you suggested but never looked into it.

The more you know!

Return to “Company Analysis”