Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to ExFM,ErroneousBee,GSVsowhat,Shelford,Hypster, for Donating to support the site

Online research resources

Analysing companies' finances and value from their financial statements using ratios and formulae
UnclePhilip
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 114
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 7:30 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Online research resources

#254822

Postby UnclePhilip » September 30th, 2019, 8:49 am

I find myself in a slightly odd situation. Having decided to move nearly half of our direct equity holdings into Vanguard global trackers, I did so by selling everything in iWeb for that purpose.

So, we now have a very arbitrary collection, simply based on what was held in Charles Stanley. It's time to go back to first principles, I think: devise a chosen list and sell and buy to get a balanced portfolio.

Being somewhat out of date, I'd be grateful to know what online resources people use to filter, screen and select. Free would be nicer than paid, but modest cost wouldn't be so bad.

I note that Company REFS seem to have gone bust, like Thomas Cook the pressure from the internet appears overwhelming....

Uncle

idpickering
Lemon Half
Posts: 6537
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 1274 times
Been thanked: 2480 times

Re: Online research resources

#254825

Postby idpickering » September 30th, 2019, 9:03 am

UnclePhilip wrote:I find myself in a slightly odd situation. Having decided to move nearly half of our direct equity holdings into Vanguard global trackers, I did so by selling everything in iWeb for that purpose.

So, we now have a very arbitrary collection, simply based on what was held in Charles Stanley. It's time to go back to first principles, I think: devise a chosen list and sell and buy to get a balanced portfolio.

Being somewhat out of date, I'd be grateful to know what online resources people use to filter, screen and select. Free would be nicer than paid, but modest cost wouldn't be so bad.

I note that Company REFS seem to have gone bust, like Thomas Cook the pressure from the internet appears overwhelming....

Uncle


Morning Uncle. I invest only in individual shares, and do my research via dividenddata.co.uk , and investigate.co.uk both of which are free. I don't bother with digitallook anymore.

Easy to use and updated promptly.

Ian.

pyad
Lemon Slice
Posts: 359
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:17 am
Been thanked: 805 times

Re: Online research resources

#254843

Postby pyad » September 30th, 2019, 10:37 am

If you are considering subscription sites, as REFS was, the best by far in my view for filtering fundamental company data, and I've tried all of them, is Stockopedia. It is somewhat similar to the old REFS on CDs that I used many years ago when filtering for value plays, but with the huge advantage of being online, updated daily and having far more information. I've been using it for years to build HYPs.

Cost is £225 a year paid annually for UK market information and a little cheaper per year for a two or three year sub. A 14 day free trial is available.

https://www.stockopedia.com/plans/

Like all such database sites, free or subscription, it does occasionally contain errors or out of date info, so users must check back with the original company accounts and later trading updates so as to verify the database facts when making share selections.

UnclePhilip
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 114
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 7:30 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Online research resources

#254889

Postby UnclePhilip » September 30th, 2019, 1:38 pm

[quote=

Morning Uncle. I invest only in individual shares, and do my research via dividenddata.co.uk , and investigate.co.uk both of which are free. I don't bother with digitallook anymore.

Easy to use and updated promptly.

Ian.[/quote]

Thanks for this. Why don't you use digitallook anymore?

Oh, and investigate.co.uk led to a private investigator website!

best wishes

Uncle

UnclePhilip
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 114
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 7:30 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Online research resources

#254890

Postby UnclePhilip » September 30th, 2019, 1:40 pm

pyad wrote:If you are considering subscription sites, as REFS was, the best by far in my view for filtering fundamental company data, and I've tried all of them, is Stockopedia. It is somewhat similar to the old REFS on CDs that I used many years ago when filtering for value plays, but with the huge advantage of being online, updated daily and having far more information. I've been using it for years to build HYPs.

Cost is £225 a year paid annually for UK market information and a little cheaper per year for a two or three year sub. A 14 day free trial is available.

https://www.stockopedia.com/plans/

Like all such database sites, free or subscription, it does occasionally contain errors or out of date info, so users must check back with the original company accounts and later trading updates so as to verify the database facts when making share selections.


Thanks for this, I'll have a look at that..

Best wishes

Uncle

mike
Lemon Slice
Posts: 562
Joined: November 19th, 2016, 1:35 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 226 times

Re: Online research resources

#254904

Postby mike » September 30th, 2019, 2:01 pm

UnclePhilip wrote:
Oh, and investigate.co.uk led to a private investigator website!

Uncle


It's investegate.co.uk, as in "Invest e-gate", not investigate as in research something.

gbjbaanb
Lemon Slice
Posts: 598
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:17 pm
Has thanked: 194 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: Online research resources

#255263

Postby gbjbaanb » October 1st, 2019, 10:28 pm

The definitive thread for this question is elsewhere on this forum

personally I use investing.com, and a few others that come and go, but investing works well on mobile.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3412
Joined: March 7th, 2018, 8:14 pm
Has thanked: 1692 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: Online research resources

#255320

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » October 2nd, 2019, 8:55 am

UnclePhilip wrote:I find myself in a slightly odd situation. Having decided to move nearly half of our direct equity holdings into Vanguard global trackers, I did so by selling everything in iWeb for that purpose.

So, we now have a very arbitrary collection, simply based on what was held in Charles Stanley. It's time to go back to first principles, I think: devise a chosen list and sell and buy to get a balanced portfolio.

Being somewhat out of date, I'd be grateful to know what online resources people use to filter, screen and select. Free would be nicer than paid, but modest cost wouldn't be so bad.

I note that Company REFS seem to have gone bust, like Thomas Cook the pressure from the internet appears overwhelming....

Uncle

Hi Uncle,

I've have only been in the private investing game for about 20 months, so others here will know far more. I did putting together a thread just for the compilation of online resources but unfortunately I've failed to keep this up to date.

Since I'm at work I can't remember all the online resources, as they are bookmarked, but here a few:

Simply Wall Street give these people an email address, and you get 10 (UK and international!) company reports per month for free. At the bottom of each report there's links to individual articles e.g.

https://simplywall.st/stocks/gb/commerc ... 96-profit/

Also:
https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/
https://www.ii.co.uk

lots of interesting articles and analysis e.g.
https://www.ii.co.uk/analysis-commentar ... y-ii509333
https://www.ii.co.uk/analysis-commentar ... s-ii508607

A site I recently found "edison research", who I think are retained by some firms to do analysis (e.g. Games workshop, xpp)

https://www.edisongroup.com/company/gam ... roup/2876/
https://www.edisongroup.com/company/xp-power/751/

More free analysis from these
https://www.sharesmagazine.co.uk/shares/share/SCT
http://financials.morningstar.com/ratio ... region=gbr

and
https://www.marketscreener.com/UNILEVER-PLC-9590186/

HTH,
Matt

kiloran
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2862
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:24 am
Has thanked: 1601 times
Been thanked: 1506 times

Re: Online research resources

#255355

Postby kiloran » October 2nd, 2019, 10:29 am

I keep a list of potentially useful web sites for financial data at:
http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... sites.html

--kiloran

dealtn
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2790
Joined: November 21st, 2016, 4:26 pm
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 935 times

Re: Online research resources

#255401

Postby dealtn » October 2nd, 2019, 2:16 pm

pyad wrote:If you are considering subscription sites, as REFS was, the best by far in my view for filtering fundamental company data, and I've tried all of them, is Stockopedia. It is somewhat similar to the old REFS on CDs that I used many years ago when filtering for value plays, but with the huge advantage of being online, updated daily and having far more information. I've been using it for years to build HYPs.

Cost is £225 a year paid annually for UK market information and a little cheaper per year for a two or three year sub. A 14 day free trial is available.

https://www.stockopedia.com/plans/

Like all such database sites, free or subscription, it does occasionally contain errors or out of date info, so users must check back with the original company accounts and later trading updates so as to verify the database facts when making share selections.


I am a subscriber to Stockopedia, and very happy with what it provides, which is more than that which is alluded to by Stephen Bland above. However I think it good practice to, if nothing else to remove the accusation of conflict of interest, at least acknowledge any potential commercial interest when one recommends anything in a public forum. I have no such commercial interest, nor an axe to grind either way with either Stockopedia, or Stephen Bland, but feel pyad should for the sake of balance have pointed out, in case some aren't aware, that he has a "column" there which has over 27,000 "reads" currently, which would suggest it was one of the most popular.

jaizan
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 111
Joined: September 1st, 2018, 10:21 pm
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: Online research resources

#257645

Postby jaizan » October 13th, 2019, 11:24 pm

I used Digital Look for years, but stopped 2~3 years ago when it became unworkable.

I took out a subscription to Stockopedia.

More recently, I took out a trial subscription to Sharepad and I am exceedingly impressed. It's by far the best tool I have seen for my needs.


Return to “Company Analysis”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests