Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Insurance companies

Analysing companies' finances and value from their financial statements using ratios and formulae
Stan
2 Lemon pips

Re: Insurance companies

Postby Stan » August 27th, 2021, 6:14 pm

I bought back into LGEN yesterday, now watch it increase ;)

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 28th, 2021, 11:27 am

Clearly "Bogdan Branislov " is not a member of TLF! :shock:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/s ... d-80k-13m/

Talk about a "concentrated portfolio"!

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » August 30th, 2021, 9:16 pm

monabri wrote:Clearly "Bogdan Branislov " is not a member of TLF! :shock:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/s ... d-80k-13m/

Talk about a "concentrated portfolio"!

It’s behind a paywall monabri can you c&p the article please.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 30th, 2021, 11:16 pm

An excerpt from the article:

Who is Bogdan Branislov?

Mr Bransilov is retired from a management job in the chemicals industry, in his mid 50s, and has never worked in the investment industry. He took voluntary redundancy in 2012, aged 47, and decided to focus full time on investing while working part time.

“I’m self-taught and never had a technical background. My skill is that I am inquisitive," he said.

Since he began actively managing his pension in 2009, he has turned £80,000 into around £1.3m, equivalent to 17 times returns. In comparison, the FTSE All Share is up around 2.5 times and the American S&P 500 5.5 times, including dividends.

His investment gains paid for a new house, worth £700,000, in April 2020. He now has around £600k still invested.

Then:

How did he do it?

Mr Branislov takes a “value” approach to investing, finding firms trading below their worth and are ripe for a recovery. He prefers to invest in a small number of companies where he has conviction it will turn around.

A number of landmark investments propelled him on his road to over £1m in his Sipp. His first major success was buying aircraft components group Senior Plc in 2009, where he turned £8,500 into £28,400, a 234pc gain.

“I thought the market had over reacted about the effects of the financial crisis on Senior. It had some debt but nothing too threatening and its price-to-earnings ratio was very low. It was priced to fail but I did not think that was likely at all,” he said.

Another key moment was buying housebuilder Barratt Developments in early 2011, selling his initial £55,000 stake for over £100,000 three years later.

If you want further information, I sugest that you subscribe.

TJH

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 30th, 2021, 11:47 pm

Bogdan is invested in 3 companies....Legal & General ( hence my previous comment) and housebuilders Bellway and Redrow.

( I think he has also bought into Aviva, Boot and ..? ).

One of his comments

"If investors feel that they must hold around 20 or more stocks and feel that a wide range various different sectors must be represented in the portfolio, then that is not investing at all, that is trying to create one's own tracker fund."

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » August 31st, 2021, 12:04 pm

monabri wrote:One of his comments

"If investors feel that they must hold around 20 or more stocks and feel that a wide range various different sectors must be represented in the portfolio, then that is not investing at all, that is trying to create one's own tracker fund."

That will set the cat among the pigeons....

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 31st, 2021, 12:06 pm

absolutezero wrote:

I DID check that the post wasn't on the HYP P board... I'm not THAT brave! ;)

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » August 31st, 2021, 12:10 pm

monabri wrote:
absolutezero wrote:

I DID check that the post wasn't on the HYP P board... I'm not THAT brave! ;)

Heretic! Burn him!

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 31st, 2021, 2:02 pm

monabri wrote:Bogdan is invested in 3 companies....Legal & General ( hence my previous comment) and housebuilders Bellway and Redrow.

One of his comments

As the objective is to do better than the indices and to reduce risk through diversification, having a portfolio with 20 or 30 constituents is obviously not an attempt to create a mini tracker fund. As you are the only investor with investments in your portfolio, to call it a fund is a great misnomer.

If you were to persuade a number of others to invest in exactly the same companies, at exactly the same time and price, then the appellation fund might be justified. However we are all paddling our own canoes, sometimes sharing our experiences and reporting activity, I would say that his comments are so wide of the mark that they may be disregarded.

In this instance we have a bold investor, placing farm bets in a small number of companies. Quite what his investing criteria is, what his objective is, and how he has managed to avoid the odd catastrophe is not explained. I think we should be told.

TJH

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 31st, 2021, 4:02 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
monabri wrote:Bogdan is invested in 3 companies....Legal & General ( hence my previous comment) and housebuilders Bellway and Redrow.

One of his comments

As the objective is to do better than the indices and to reduce risk through diversification, having a portfolio with 20 or 30 constituents is obviously not an attempt to create a mini tracker fund. As you are the only investor with investments in your portfolio, to call it a fund is a great misnomer.

If you were to persuade a number of others to invest in exactly the same companies, at exactly the same time and price, then the appellation fund might be justified. However we are all paddling our own canoes, sometimes sharing our experiences and reporting activity, I would say that his comments are so wide of the mark that they may be disregarded.

In this instance we have a bold investor, placing farm bets in a small number of companies. Quite what his investing criteria is, what his objective is, and how he has managed to avoid the odd catastrophe is not explained. I think we should be told.

TJH

It seems evident that his objective is to amass capital. Whether or not he has had the odd catastrophe is not that relevant but it would be surprising if has not had the odd failure. . Most entrepreneurs do and he is that or a venture capitalist or ........something.

Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 31st, 2021, 5:26 pm

He reports St Modwyn and....Petrofac ( :( ) as losses.

(Fortunately my stake in Petrofac (PFC) was not that heavy. The SFO opened up a case against PFC in 2017 and it is still under investigation, meanwhile foreign competitors are eating their lunch, "winning" contracts . I say "winning" ... .... ....

Return to “Company Analysis”