Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Amazon stock

Analysing companies' finances and value from their financial statements using ratios and formulae
Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Amazon stock

Postby Adamski » August 5th, 2023, 1:14 pm

Stock up 8.3% Friday. Up something like 66% ytd, back to where was a year ago.

This reminds me of Tesla. All that seems to matter is sales growth. Earnings don't seem to matter very much, with a PE of c. 300.

AWS, an AI cloud computing high margin business, makes the profit. The retail sales don't make anything.

Surely at some point in the future, the main business not making anything must matter?

We've had EVs, and Crypto. Now latest hype is AI. Still if you're riding wave all good until the bubble bursts.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Amazon stock

Postby Lootman » August 5th, 2023, 1:44 pm

Well, my position in AMZN is up 600% so I am not complaining. Only Apple has done better in recent years.

Retail is a low-margin business but it creates the cashflow for the other ventures and AMZN has been better than most at diversifying away from low-margin business lines to high-margin areas like streaming and cloud computing.

As with any "story stock" it is down to whether you believe the story.

By the way where did you get the P/E of 300 from? My source has it at around 70.

Return to “Company Analysis”