Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

HSBC (HSBA)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Re: HSBC (HSBA)

Postby scrumpyjack » April 15th, 2021, 7:34 pm

csearle wrote:
Steveam wrote:HSBC have now moved their senior management (back) to HK and are increasing efforts in mainland China as part of their pivot to Asia. There are clearly risks with this strategy but it shows a degree of focus or desperation which has been lacking in recent years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56519310
Seems quite risky to me to be physically moving in the opposite direction to those regarding freedom as paramount. When HSBC becomes a Chinese government institution will I really be comfortable holding shares in, and receiving dividends from, it?

Chris

The vast majority of their business is in the far east, so they have a choice - take a stand against the appalling Chinese regime, and commit corporate suicide, or reduce their profile in the west and potentially move everything east.

The Chinese regime are utterly appalling but it is curious that none of those who berate HSBC for not standing up to Chins seem to take the logical step of then personally committing to boycotting any Chinese goods.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » April 15th, 2021, 7:36 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:The Chinese regime are utterly appalling but it is curious that none of those who berate HSBC for not standing up to Chins seem to take the logical step of then personally committing to boycotting any Chinese goods.
None of them? C.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 15th, 2021, 9:08 pm

HSBC is simply responding to realpolick. They have no option and better to make money from such a regime than not surely? I hope so anyway and expect so.

Dod

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » April 15th, 2021, 9:46 pm

Dod101 wrote:HSBC is simply responding to realpolick. They have no option and better to make money from such a regime than not surely? I hope so anyway and expect so.
Well maybe. I just feel it would be a bit like saying the drug trade exists whether we like it or not, so let's use Realpolitik to justify lending it some money so it can scale up production of cocaine.

Obviously in this case it is not drugs but concentration camps, etc so I'm a bit concerned about this HSBC news.

Chris

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 15th, 2021, 9:52 pm

Well of course, the answer is to sell your HSBC shares and let them get on with it. I am happy to hold.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 16th, 2021, 9:30 am

This of course can be a real dilemma but the trouble is that the China case is evident to all. How many other regimes are doing things 'behind the scenes' that we do not know about? If we did not invest in things we disapprove of there would be precious little to invest in. Then we could take all the ethical stuff like tobacco, armaments, alcohol and so on. I have no answer and must respect those who do take a stance. I just muddle along.

Dod

peterh
2 Lemon pips

Postby peterh » April 19th, 2021, 7:45 pm

The sterling rate for the interim dividend payable on 19 April 2021 has been announced. It's £0.107923.

Info can be found here: https://www.hsbc.com/investors/shareholder-information/dividend-history-and-timetable

peterh
2 Lemon pips

Postby peterh » April 21st, 2021, 10:46 am

peterh wrote:The sterling rate for the interim dividend payable on 19 April 2021 has been announced. It's £0.107923.

To avoid any potential confusion, I meant to say that the dividend is payable on 29 April!

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 27th, 2021, 5:52 am

1Q21 EARNINGS RELEASE

Noel Quinn, Group Chief Executive, said:
“We had a good start to the year in support of our customers, while achieving materially enhanced returns for our shareholders. I am
pleased with our revenue and cost performance, but particularly with our significantly lower expected credit losses. Global Banking and
Markets had a good quarter, and we saw solid business growth in strategic areas, including Asia Wealth and trade finance, and
mortgages in Hong Kong and the UK. We also strengthened our lending pipelines in our retail and wholesale businesses.
The execution of our growth and transformation plans is proceeding well. We made further progress in reducing both costs and riskweighted
assets, and launched new products and capabilities in areas of strength.
The economic outlook has improved, although uncertainties remain. We carry good momentum into the second quarter, while
maintaining conservative positions on capital, funding, liquidity and credit.”
Financial performance (vs. 1Q20)
• Reported profit after tax up 82% to $4.6bn and reported profit before tax up 79% to $5.8bn. Reduced revenue continued to
reflect low interest rates. This impact was partly offset as 1Q20 included materially adverse market impacts in life insurance
manufacturing and valuations in Global Banking and Markets ('GBM'). In addition, there were releases of allowances for expected
credit losses in the quarter, reflecting the improved economic outlook. Adjusted profit before tax up 109% to $6.4bn.
• All regions profitable in 1Q21, notably HSBC UK Bank plc reported pre-tax profits of over $1.0bn in the quarter. While
there continues to be interest rate headwinds, expected credit losses and other credit impairment charges ('ECL') fell, reflecting the
improved economic outlook.
• Reported revenue down 5% to $13.0bn due to the impact of 2020 interest rate reductions in all global businesses. This was partly
offset by market impacts in life insurance manufacturing and valuations in GBM.
• Net interest margin ('NIM') of 1.21%, down 33 basis points ('bps') from 1Q20. NIM broadly stable with 4Q20.
• Reported ECL were a net release of $0.4bn, compared with a $3.0bn charge in 1Q20. The net release in 1Q21 primarily
reflected an improvement in the economic outlook from 2020. Stage 3 ECL were lower, in part as 1Q20 included a large charge
related to a corporate exposure in Singapore.
• Reported operating expenses up 9% from higher restructuring and other related costs from our transformation programme and
increased investment in technology. Adjusted operating expenses up 3% due to a higher performance-related pay accrual, partly
offset by the impact of our cost-saving initiatives.
• Lending increased by $2bn on a reported basis and $6bn on a constant currency basis in the quarter. Lending growth was
in Wealth and Personal Banking ('WPB'), notably mortgages in the UK and Hong Kong, and in Commercial Banking ('CMB') in areas of
strategic focus.
• Return on average tangible equity ('RoTE') (annualised) of 10.2%, up 6.0 percentage points from 1Q20.
• Common equity tier 1 (‘CET1’) capital ratio of 15.9%, unchanged from 31 December 2020.
Outlook
• The economic outlook has improved, giving us increasing confidence in our revenue growth plans. While early signs are
positive, with evidence of growth in strategic areas, including improved lending pipelines, there remain uncertainties.
• Our 1Q21 results were favourably impacted by net ECL releases, particularly in the UK, reflecting improved economic
forecasts. There remains a high degree of uncertainty as countries emerge from the pandemic at different speeds and as government
support measures unwind. Based on the current consensus economic forecasts trajectory, we expect our ECL charge for
2021 to be below the medium-term range of 30bps to 40bps of average loans that we indicated at our 2020 annual
results.
• We expect mid-single-digit percentage growth in customer lending during 2021. This growth remains highly dependent on
the speed at which economies recover from the Covid-19 pandemic, together with the duration of various government support
measures and restrictions.
• We continue to make progress against the strategic plan we announced in February 2021, which responds to the
fundamental changes in our operating environment and aligns to our refreshed purpose, values and ambition. We expect to provide
an update at our 2021 interim results in August.
• As indicated at our 2020 annual results in February 2021, we do not intend to pay quarterly dividends during 2021. The Group will
consider whether to announce an interim dividend at our 2021 half-year results in August.

The full item is downloadable via here; https://www.hsbc.com/investors/results- ... ouncements

Also posted on HYPP.

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 27th, 2021, 7:54 am

1Q21 EARNINGS RELEASE

AUDIO WEBCAST AND CONFERENCE CALL

HSBC will be holding an audio webcast presentation and conference call today for investors and analysts. The speakers will be Noel Quinn (Group Chief Executive) and Ewen Stevenson (Group Chief Financial Officer).

https://www.investegate.co.uk/hsbc-hold ... 00106917W/

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » June 5th, 2021, 10:22 am

There is a long article in the FT about the pivot to Asia and change in management. Extract below
“Peter Wong, who has been the lender’s chief executive in Asia for a decade, is to be replaced by co-heads David Liao, who will oversee its China strategy, and Surendra Rosha, who will manage the rest of the region.
Liao, currently the group’s head of Asia-Pacific global banking, is from Hong Kong and previously ran HSBC in China. Rosha, chief of its Indian operations, has worked at the bank for 30 years.
The timeline of the handover, which was first reported by Bloomberg, has not been finalised but could come as soon as this summer, according to a person close to the bank.
Wong, who is 69, is expected to remain at the bank as a non-executive chair for its Asian business, the person said. The overhaul is part of a shake-up of the bank’s global leadership that will also see four of its top executives relocating to Hong Kong from London. HSBC declined to comment.”

Best wishes,

Steve

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 5th, 2021, 1:47 pm

I have just read that article. It does not really get us much further and HSBC has declined to comment. I guess it is just part of their planned reorganisation to concentrate more on Asia and China. The closure of their loss making New York retail business and the planned sale of the French one are all part of the same process.

Dod

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » June 18th, 2021, 8:31 pm

HSBC has sold its sub scale French business.

https://www.reuters.com/business/cerber ... 021-06-18/

Significant write down but better to focus on Asia.

Best wishes,

Steve

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 2nd, 2021, 6:12 am

2021 INTERIM RESULTS – HIGHLIGHTS

Financial performance (1H21 vs 1H20)
• Reported profit after tax increased by $5.3bn to $8.4bn and reported profit before tax increased by $6.5bn to $10.8bn.
A fall in revenue reflected 2020 interest rate reductions and lower Markets and Securities Services (‘MSS’) revenue relative to a strong
1H20. This was more than offset by releases in our expected credit losses and other credit impairment charges (‘ECL’). Reported profit
in 1H20 included an impairment of software intangibles of $1.2bn, mainly in Europe.
• All regions profitable in 1H21, notably HSBC UK Bank plc reported profit before tax of over $2.1bn in the period. Despite
interest rate headwinds, there was continued strength in Asia and a material recovery in profitability in all other regions, reflecting a
net release in ECL as the economic outlook improved.
• Reported revenue down 4% to $25.6bn, primarily reflecting 2020 interest rate reductions and lower MSS revenue in Global
Banking and Markets (‘GBM’). These reductions were partly offset by net favourable movements in market impacts in life insurance
manufacturing and valuation adjustments in GBM.
• In 1H21, lending increased by $21.5bn on a reported basis, reflecting growth in Wealth and Personal Banking (‘WPB’) and
Commercial Banking (‘CMB’). Deposits grew by $26.3bn on a reported basis, with increases in all global businesses.
• Net interest margin (‘NIM’) of 1.21% in 1H21, down 22 basis points (‘bps’) from 1H20. NIM in 2Q21 of 1.20% remained
stable compared with 1Q21.
• Reported ECL were a net release of $0.7bn, compared with a $6.9bn charge in 1H20. The net release in 1H21 primarily
reflected an improvement in the economic outlook since 2020. The reduction also reflected low levels of stage 3 charges in 1H21, as
well as the non-recurrence of a large charge in 1H20 related to a corporate exposure in Singapore.
• Reported and adjusted operating expenses increased 3%, primarily due to a higher performance-related pay accrual as
profitability improved, as well as continued investment, partly offset by the impact of our cost-saving initiatives.
• Return on average tangible equity (‘RoTE‘) (annualised) of 9.4%, up 5.6 percentage points compared with 1H20.
• Common equity tier 1 (‘CET1’) ratio of 15.6%, down 0.3 percentage points from 31 December 2020, reflecting an increase
in RWAs from lending growth and a decrease in CET1 capital including the impact of foreseeable dividends.
• The Board has announced an interim dividend for 1H21 of $0.07 per ordinary share, to be paid in cash

And later;

Interim dividend for the 2021 half-year

On 2 August 2021, the Directors approved an interim dividend for the 2021 half-year of $0.07 per ordinary share in respect of the
financial year ending 31 December 2021. The dividend will be payable on 30 September 2021 to holders on the Principal Register in the
UK, the Hong Kong Overseas Branch Register or the Bermuda Overseas Branch Register on 20 August 2021.

Available via here;

https://www.hsbc.com/investors/results- ... ouncements

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » August 16th, 2021, 8:37 am

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 16th, 2021, 9:26 am

Steveam wrote:https://www.hsbc.com/-/files/hsbc/media/media-release/2021/210816-hsbc-to-acquire-axa-singapore.pdf

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-paci ... 021-08-16/

Best wishes,

Steve

Thanks for that. Small beer for HSBC but nevertheless indicates where it sees its future expansion.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 8th, 2021, 12:19 pm

HSBC continues to drift lower and is now about £3.80. It must be a bargain at that price but nobody likes it right now. I thought that the Interims were quite good. They are proceeding well with their restructuring and I guess the disappointment was the modest dividend (which is payable at the end of this month)

Dod

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » September 8th, 2021, 12:32 pm

Dod101 wrote:HSBC continues to drift lower and is now about £3.80. It must be a bargain at that price but nobody likes it right now. I thought that the Interims were quite good. They are proceeding well with their restructuring and I guess the disappointment was the modest dividend (which is payable at the end of this month)

Dod

I think the problems of China's policies in Hong Kong, their crackdown on Chinese capitalism and their increasingly anti Western stance have also worried investors, particularly as so much of HSBC's business is there and that is where they see their future.

I don't think Western investors are nearly as secure in their Chinese investments as they thought they were. Look at what has happened to ARM's Chinese subsidiary which has basically been stolen by the Chinese CEO because he has the 'seal' that stamps documents so has just ignored the company's owners, and clearly has been allowed to do this by the government.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » September 8th, 2021, 12:38 pm

Dod101 wrote:HSBC continues to drift lower and is now about £3.80. It must be a bargain at that price but nobody likes it right now. I thought that the Interims were quite good. They are proceeding well with their restructuring and I guess the disappointment was the modest dividend (which is payable at the end of this month)

Dod

I'd noticed....I just didn't like to say :( It has been a disappointment but it very unlikely to 'do a Carillion' so I'm going to do nothing other than hope for better dividend returns in the future. At 4.3%, it is my seventh biggest holding by current value. Restoration of the dividend (even if gradual over the next couple of years) will hopefully bolster the SP.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » September 8th, 2021, 1:04 pm

I've just had a quick look at the current yield on HSBA..at just over 4.1% maybe the view will be taken that this is all that is required to attract new shareholders?

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”