Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Rio Tinto (RIO)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Rio Tinto (RIO)

Postby Dod101 » July 11th, 2023, 7:24 am

idpickering wrote:Investor site visit to OT copper mine, Mongolia.

Rio Tinto is hosting an investor site visit to the Oyu Tolgoi copper mine in Mongolia, set to become the world's fourth largest copper mine by 2030.

The presentation is not considered to contain any new material financial information.

The presentation slides are available at the link below.

https://www.riotinto.com/en/invest/pres ... site-visit

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... ia/7624352

Ian (I hold).

Put me down for that........not.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 11th, 2023, 7:44 am

Dod101 wrote:
idpickering wrote:Investor site visit to OT copper mine, Mongolia.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... ia/7624352

Ian (I hold).

Put me down for that........not.

Dod

Likewise from me. Ta for your input Dod.

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 19th, 2023, 5:00 am

Rio Tinto releases second quarter production results

Rio Tinto Chief Executive Jakob Stausholm said: “We built further momentum in our Pilbara iron ore business
for the quarter, and now expect to deliver shipments in the upper half of our guidance range for the year. The
ramp-up of the Oyu Tolgoi underground mine progressed ahead of plan, and we remain on track to more than
triple its copper production by the end of the decade. Production downgrades during the quarter highlight that
we still have much more to do elsewhere, as we roll out the Safe Production System to create stability and
achieve excellence across our global portfolio.
“We continued to take disciplined measures to grow in the materials the world needs for the energy transition,
also with investments to expand our low carbon aluminium production and underground copper production at
Kennecott.
“We are taking practical steps and making investments to decarbonise, being the first to convert an open pit
mine to renewable diesel at our Boron operations, signing a memorandum of understanding with Baowu to
explore decarbonisation of the steel value chain and delivering first production from our ground-breaking
BlueSmelting demonstration plant at Sorel-Tracy in Quebec in July.

Q2 2023 operational highlights and other key announcements

• Our all-injury frequency rate of 0.36 was a small increase from the second quarter of 2022 (0.35), and
from the prior quarter (0.35). Investigations are underway following significant process safety incidents.
There were two incidents at our Rio Tinto Iron and Titanium (RTIT) Sorel-Tracy complex which did not
result in injuries. The Kennecott operation experienced an escape of furnace gas during the
maintenance shut, where all treated people have been cleared. We are heightening our focus on
managing these risks and continue to prioritise the safety, health and wellbeing of our workforce, and
communities where we operate.
• Pilbara operations produced 81.3 million tonnes (100% basis) in the second quarter, 3% higher than the
second quarter of 2022 as Gudai-Darri achieved sustained nameplate capacity during the period.
Shipments were 79.1 million tonnes (100% basis), 1% lower than the corresponding period of 2022,
reflecting the impact of planned major maintenance at the Dampier port and a train derailment. With
continued operational improvements across the Pilbara system, and the implementation of the Safe
Production System, full year shipments are now expected to be in the upper half of the original 320 to
335 million tonne range.
• Bauxite production of 13.5 million tonnes was 5% lower than the second quarter of 2022 as our Weipa
operations were impacted by the higher-than-average first quarter rainfall, which continued to reduce pit
access and led to longer haul distances. Production was further affected by equipment downtime at
both Weipa and Gove. As a result, our bauxite full year production is expected to be at the lower end of
our 54 to 57 million tonne range, as we implement plans to recover lost production at both operations
through the remainder of the year.
• Aluminium production of 0.8 million tonnes was 11% higher than the second quarter of 2022 as we
benefited from the continued ramp-up of the Kitimat smelter. Recovery at the Boyne and Kitimat
smelters is progressing to plan with full ramp-up expected to be completed later in the year. All our
other smelters continued to demonstrate stable performance during the quarter.

Full details downloadable here; https://www.riotinto.com/en/news/releas ... on-results

Ian (I hold).

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 19th, 2023, 7:04 am

Here's the RNS in relation to the above, for those who prefer it; https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... s-/7640846

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 24th, 2023, 7:32 am

nb. This is from last Friday.

Rio Tinto & Giampaolo Group aluminium recycling JV.

Rio Tinto and Giampaolo Group, one of North America's largest fully-integrated metal management businesses, have entered into an agreement to form a joint venture to manufacture and market recycled aluminium products. The transaction reflects the joint venture partners' shared commitment to meeting the increasing demand for low-carbon aluminium as a key material in the energy transition.

Under the terms of the agreement, Rio Tinto will acquire a 50% equity stake in Giampaolo Group's wholly-owned Matalco business for $700 million[1] subject to usual closing adjustments.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... jv/7648123

Ian (I hold).

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 26th, 2023, 7:25 am

Rio Tinto 2023 half year results.

Improved operational performance with 5% volume uplift supports underlying EBITDA of $11.7 billion and interim dividend of 177 US cents per share

• Net cash generated from operating activities of $7.0 billion.

• Profit after tax attributable to owners of Rio Tinto (referred to as "net earnings" throughout this release) of $5.1 billion, after $0.8 billion of impairments relating to our Australian alumina refineries.

• Underlying EBITDA of $11.7 billion and underlying earnings of $5.7 billion, leading to an interim dividend of $2.9 billion, a 50% payout, in line with our practice.

And later;

The 2023 interim dividend, equivalent to 177 US cents per share will be paid on 21 September 2023 to Rio Tinto Limited, Rio Tinto plc and Rio Tinto plc ADR shareholders on the register at the close of business on 11 August 2023. The ex-dividend date for the 2023 interim dividend for Rio Tinto Limited, Rio Tinto plc and Rio Tinto plc ADR shareholders is 10 August 2023. Rio Tinto plc shareholders will receive 137.67 pence per share for the interim dividend and Rio Tinto Limited shareholders will receive 260.89 Australian cents per share for the interim dividend based on the applicable exchange rates on 25 July 2023. ADR holders receive dividends at the declared rate in US dollars.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... ts/7655537

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 11th, 2023, 7:43 am

Simandou iron ore project agreement.

Rio Tinto and the Simfer[1] joint venture (Simfer) reached an important milestone today by concluding key agreements with the Republic of Guinea and Winning Consortium Simandou[2] (WCS) on the trans-Guinean infrastructure for the world class Simandou iron ore project.

The Co-Development Convention with the Republic of Guinea and associated agreements adjusting Simfer and WCS's existing mine conventions create the legal framework for the co-development of more than 600 kilometres of new multi-use rail together with port facilities, that will be used to export iron ore from the Simandou mining concessions in the southeast of the country.

Rio Tinto Executive Committee lead for Guinea and Copper Chief Executive Bold Baatar said "With these agreements we have reached an important milestone towards full sanction of the Simandou project, bringing together the complementary strengths and expertise of Rio Tinto and our partners, the Government of Guinea and Winning Consortium Simandou, for the infrastructure that will unlock this world class resource. Simandou, the world's largest known undeveloped supply of high-grade, low-impurity iron ore, will strengthen Rio Tinto's portfolio by complementing our existing Pilbara and Iron Ore Company of Canada products."

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... nt/7690253

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 29th, 2023, 7:04 am

Rio Tinto and First Quantum form La Granja JV.

Rio Tinto and First Quantum Minerals ("First Quantum") have completed a transaction to form a joint venture that will work to unlock the development of the La Granja project in Peru, one of the largest undeveloped copper deposits in the world.

La Granja is a complex orebody located at high altitude in Cajamarca, Northern Peru, that has the potential to be a large, long-life operation, with a published Indicated and Inferred Mineral Resource totalling 4.32 billion tonnes at 0.51% copper[1].

Following the completion of conditions including regulatory approvals from the Government of Peru, First Quantum has acquired a 55% stake in the project for $105 million. It will invest up to a further $546 million into the joint venture to sole fund capital and operational costs to take the project through a feasibility study and toward development. Upon completion of the sole funding commitment, all subsequent expenditures will be applied on a pro-rata basis according to the share ownership of the project.

As majority owner, First Quantum will now operate the La Granja project with initial work focussed on completing the feasibility study, as per the Transfer Agreement signed with the Government of Peru.

Rio Tinto Copper Chief Executive Bold Baatar said: "Developing La Granja would provide a significant new supply of copper and further strengthen Rio Tinto's portfolio of materials needed for the energy transition. Our partnership with First Quantum will bring our combined development capabilities and deep knowledge of La Granja to progress the project."

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... jv/7721109

Ian (I hold RIO).

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 30th, 2023, 7:28 am

Appointment of Group Company Secretary.

Rio Tinto announces the appointment of Andy Hodges as Group Company Secretary, and Company Secretary of Rio Tinto plc with effect from 29 August 2023.

Steve Allen will stand down as Group Company Secretary, and Company Secretary of Rio Tinto plc and Joint Company Secretary of Rio Tinto Limited, also with effect from 29 August 2023, in order to take up the role of Deputy Chief Legal Officer at Rio Tinto.

Tim Paine continues as Company Secretary of Rio Tinto Limited.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... ge/7724466

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » September 5th, 2023, 7:57 am

Rio Tinto appoints new Aluminium Chief Executive.

Rio Tinto has appointed Jérôme Pécresse to lead its Aluminium business, succeeding Ivan Vella. Jérôme, who was until recently President and CEO of General Electric (GE) Renewable Energy, will join Rio Tinto on 23 October 2023.

Jérôme is a French citizen with over 30 years of business experience, including senior leadership roles in global companies in the mining and energy fields. He joined GE in 2015, when GE completed its acquisition of Alstom's energy activities, as President and CEO of GE Renewable Energy. With 40,000 employees around the world, GE Renewable Energy had the broadest portfolio of equipment, projects and services in the industry, across hydropower, solar and storage, onshore and offshore wind, as well as for the electricity grid.  At Alstom, Jérôme also led the company's Renewable Energy business.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... e-/7735872
Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » September 15th, 2023, 7:09 am

Notice of dividend currency exchange rates.

On 26 July 2023, Rio Tinto announced an interim dividend of 177.00 US cents per share for the half year ended 30 June 2023, with Rio Tinto Limited shareholders to be paid an interim dividend of 260.89 Australian cents per ordinary share and Rio Tinto plc shareholders to be paid an interim dividend of 137.67 British pence per ordinary share. American Depositary Receipt (ADR) holders will receive the dividends in US dollars as announced on 26 July 2023.

The currency exchange rates which apply to Rio Tinto Limited shareholders who elect to receive the interim dividend in pounds sterling or New Zealand dollars and Rio Tinto plc shareholders who elect to receive the interim dividend in Australian dollars or New Zealand dollars are the currency exchange rates applicable on 14 September 2023.

This announcement confirms the currency exchange rates applicable for the 2023 interim dividend for shareholders who have made a currency election:

135.44 British pence

The interim dividend will be paid to shareholders of Rio Tinto Limited and Rio Tinto plc and to ADR holders on 21 September 2023.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... es/7757108

Ian.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » September 15th, 2023, 8:02 am

idpickering wrote:Notice of dividend currency exchange rates.

On 26 July 2023, Rio Tinto announced an interim dividend of 177.00 US cents per share for the half year ended 30 June 2023, with Rio Tinto Limited shareholders to be paid an interim dividend of 260.89 Australian cents per ordinary share and Rio Tinto plc shareholders to be paid an interim dividend of 137.67 British pence per ordinary share. American Depositary Receipt (ADR) holders will receive the dividends in US dollars as announced on 26 July 2023.

The currency exchange rates which apply to Rio Tinto Limited shareholders who elect to receive the interim dividend in pounds sterling or New Zealand dollars and Rio Tinto plc shareholders who elect to receive the interim dividend in Australian dollars or New Zealand dollars are the currency exchange rates applicable on 14 September 2023.

This announcement confirms the currency exchange rates applicable for the 2023 interim dividend for shareholders who have made a currency election:

135.44 British pence

The interim dividend will be paid to shareholders of Rio Tinto Limited and Rio Tinto plc and to ADR holders on 21 September 2023.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... es/7757108

Ian.
I don't quite get it. Do my Rio Tinto PLC shares pay out 137.67p or 135.44p per share? (Can't remember specifically making a currency election.)

Chris

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » September 15th, 2023, 8:20 am

Any normal UK investor holding Rio will get the 137.67p announced months ago.

This announcement only affects those holding the Australian listed shares and then deciding they want the divi in a different currency.

This confusion arises every time Rio announce a divi!

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » September 15th, 2023, 8:45 am

scrumpyjack wrote:Any normal UK investor holding Rio will get the 137.67p announced months ago.

This announcement only affects those holding the Australian listed shares and then deciding they want the divi in a different currency.

Thank you very much. I was probably confused last time too, trouble is I forget what I did yesterday let alone six months ago. :) C.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » September 15th, 2023, 8:53 am

csearle wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:Any normal UK investor holding Rio will get the 137.67p announced months ago.

Thank you very much. I was probably confused last time too, trouble is I forget what I did yesterday let alone six months ago. :) C.

Thanks for that. Something to watch out for in the future on my part. Apologise if I’ve mislead folk.

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » September 22nd, 2023, 5:33 am

Rio Tinto Halts Mine Work as Second Indigenous Site Damaged.

Rio Tinto Group has halted work on an iron ore mine in Western Australia after an Indigenous rock shelter was damaged, three years after the company faced executive exits and public anger over the destruction of the Juukan Gorge caves.

Operations were paused last month at the Nammuldi site 150 meters (roughly 490 feet) from the cave, after a large rock and scrub tree fell from an overhang above its entrance, Rio said in a statement. Sydney-listed shares in the world’s second-largest mining company fell as much as 2.9% on Friday, after a poor week for iron ore.

The latest incident in the Pilbara region comes after enormous backlash over the company’s actions at the Juukan Gorge ancient Aboriginal site in 2020, which culminated in the departure of both its chief executive officer and chairman. In recent years, Rio has also come under pressure to tackle wider issues of company culture, after accusations of sexual harassment, racism and bullying.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/rio-tinto-pau ... _qC5LiHer_

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » October 9th, 2023, 7:10 am

Financial community visit to Pilbara operations.

Today, Rio Tinto is hosting a site visit for the financial community to its Pilbara operations in Western Australia. The site visit will showcase our world-class ports, autonomous rail network and 17 mines, including our newest mine, Gudai-Darri, and the Rhodes Ridge project, one of the world's largest and highest quality undeveloped iron ore deposits. The presentation by management will be webcast at 13:45 AWST / 06:45 BST and can be found on our website at: https://www.riotinto.com/en/invest/presentations

Rio Tinto Iron Ore Chief Executive, Simon Trott said: "As we head into the fourth quarter of 2023 we are in a strong and stable position. We have systematically improved our operating performance, reset relationships with external stakeholders and established a foundation for the future. We understand our strengths and challenges, and are making good progress as we continue to reflect and learn."

In the third quarter of 2023, Pilbara iron ore shipments totalled 83.9 million tonnes and production was 83.5 million tonnes (100% basis).

Shipments guidance (100% basis) is unchanged for 2023 and remains in the upper half of the 320 to 335 million tonne range, with the Safe Production System on track to deliver a 5 million tonne productivity uplift. 2023 shipments include 45 to 50 million tonnes of SP10 product, 13 to 15% of total tonnes (previously >10%). This is higher than forecast, reflecting overall production in the upper half of guidance and delayed access to some mine areas.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... ns/7803644

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » October 17th, 2023, 5:03 am

Q3 2023 operational highlights and other key announcements.

Rio Tinto Chief Executive Jakob Stausholm said: “We delivered another quarter of progress and maintained
momentum at our Pilbara iron ore operations. We continued to make good headway ramping up our Oyu Tolgoi
high-grade underground copper mine, our Kitimat aluminium smelter returned to full production, and we safely
restarted the smelter and refinery at Kennecott after completing the largest rebuild in its history. We have more
to do as we work towards sustainable performance improvements across our business.
“We took real steps to build our portfolio of materials needed for the future, signing agreements that will see us
take a leading position in recycled aluminium in North America and agreeing to enter a joint venture with
Codelco to explore for copper in Chile. We also completed further infrastructure agreements with our partners
for the world class Simandou iron ore project.
“We are making strong progress towards building the Rio Tinto of the future, striking a balance between
disciplined performance in evolving market conditions, investing to generate valuable long-term growth and
delivering attractive shareholder returns.”

Q3 2023 operational highlights and other key announcements
• Our all-injury frequency rate of 0.36 improved from the third quarter of 2022 (0.39), and was in line with
the prior quarter (0.36). We continue to learn from process safety reviews completed in the third quarter
following previously reported incidents at our Rio Tinto Iron and Titanium (RTIT) Sorel-Tracy complex
and Kennecott, and are planning to further enhance safety at these operations.
• Pilbara operations produced 83.5 million tonnes (100% basis) in the third quarter, 1% lower than the
corresponding period of 2022. Shipments were 83.9 million tonnes (100% basis), 1% higher than the
corresponding period of 2022. We continue to expect full year shipments in the upper half of the original
320 to 335 million tonne range.
• In early October, we hosted a site tour of our Pilbara operations for investors and analysts. Presentation
materials for this visit are available on our website.
• Bauxite production of 13.9 million tonnes was 2% higher than the third quarter of 2022 as we achieved
the initial benefits of stabilising our operations, particularly at Weipa where equipment reliability and
performance improved.
• Aluminium production of 0.8 million tonnes was 9% higher than the third quarter of 2022 as we returned
to full capacity at our Kitimat smelter and completed cell recovery efforts at our Boyne smelter. All our
other smelters continued to demonstrate stable performance during the quarter.
• On 21 July, we announced we had entered into an agreement with Giampaolo Group, one of North
America's largest fully-integrated metal management businesses, to form a joint venture to manufacture
and market recycled aluminium products. Under the terms of the agreement, Rio Tinto will acquire a
50% equity stake in Giampaolo Group’s wholly-owned Matalco business for $700 million subject to
usual closing adjustments. Matalco operates six facilities in the United States and one in Canada, with
the capacity to produce approximately 900,000 tonnes of recycled aluminium per annum. Receipt of
customary regulatory approvals for the transaction is progressing well, with completion now expected
around the end of 2023 (previously first half of 2024).

Item downloadable via here; https://www.riotinto.com/en/invest/fina ... production

No doubt (maybe) a RNS will be issued about this too at 0700hrs today.

Ian (I hold).

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » October 17th, 2023, 7:05 am

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 22nd, 2023, 7:36 am

Settlement with Securities and Exchange Commission.

Rio Tinto has reached a court approved settlement with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) of a suit brought in 2017 concerning disclosure of the impairment of Rio Tinto Coal Mozambique (RTCM) reflected in Rio Tinto's 2012 year-end accounts.

Without admitting to or denying the SEC's allegations related to its books, records and reporting requirements, Rio Tinto will pay a US$28 million penalty and retain an independent consultant to advise on its current policies, procedures, and controls related to impairment, disclosures and project risk.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... on/7895750

Ian (I hold).

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”