Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Rio Tinto (RIO)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Rio Tinto (RIO)

Postby Dod101 » November 28th, 2022, 9:39 am

idpickering wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I think notwithstanding the business case for miners (subject of course to the business cycle) Rio in particular poses a number of concerns re ethics. Interesting that the last two posts have been on this subject. In the second case do it first and then apologise, knowing full well that no matter what money was offered the Traditional Owners would never agree to blowing up their sacred sites. Now that the deed is done, just come to an agreement re compensation. They have got what they wanted anyway. 'Doing the right thing'? No option and that sadly, is no way to run a business.

Dod

Thanks for your input Dod. All fair comments too. It does show a lack of foresight, bordering on arrogance, on their part perhaps?

Ian.

The evidence points to arrogance and a 'We don't care' attitude. No lack of foresight and no 'perhaps?' People get worked up about the tobacco companies and ethics. This is far worse in my opinion.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 30th, 2022, 7:39 am

Rio Tinto progresses strategy to strengthen, decarbonise and grow.

Rio Tinto is today providing an update at its Investor Seminar on progress against its long-term strategy to strengthen the business, grow in a decarbonising world and continue to deliver attractive shareholder returns.

Updates will include Rio Tinto's market outlook, with the energy transition expected to add as much as 25% in new demand above traditional sources on a copper equivalent basis across the Group's key products by 2035. Rio Tinto is targeting investment of up to $3 billion per year in growth to meet this demand, including the Oyu Tolgoi copper, Rincon lithium and Simandou iron ore projects.

There are now 30 deployments of the Rio Tinto Safe Production System (SPS) across 16 sites. Roll-outs are ongoing to continuously improve safety, drive employee satisfaction and lift operational performance across Rio Tinto's global portfolio, delivering benefits such as up to 5 million tonnes of production uplift expected at the Group's Pilbara iron ore assets in 2023.

Executives will outline projects underway to meet challenging decarbonisation targets to halve Scope 1 & 2 emissions by 2030, on the road to net zero by 2050. Six large emissions abatement programmes are focused on renewable power, process heat, diesel and the ELYSISTM zero carbon aluminium smelting technology to drive the transition to net zero by 2050, supported by high-quality nature based solutions. Investments of around $7.5 billion are expected between 2022 and 2030, including around $1.5 billion over the next three years which will be back-end dated. Investments are being prioritised and phased in the most logical way, with consideration for near-term work around energy inputs and attractive economics. New long-term power contracts will also be required for the aluminium business to meet targets. Incremental operating expenditure on building new teams and energy efficiency initiatives remains around $200 million per year, in addition to research and development investment.

Rio Tinto Chief Executive Jakob Stausholm said: "We are now creating real momentum, to build a stronger Rio Tinto that is a platform for delivering long-term value. From evolving our culture, to operational improvements, a different approach on cultural heritage, and technology breakthroughs to address climate change and a changing customer environment, we are seeing early results that give us conviction we have the right objectives, the right team, and the right strategy. This is all captured in our newly defined purpose: finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs.

"Meeting the incremental demand of the energy transition and ensuring local supplies of critical minerals globally deepens our relevance in the world and provides new opportunities. We are working hard to decarbonise our assets and products, as we invest to grow in materials needed for the energy transition.

"The quality of our assets, resilience of cashflows and strength of our balance sheet ensure we are well positioned to continue to invest with discipline for the long term and deliver attractive returns to our shareholders throughout the cycle."

Production guidance is being released for 2023. Pilbara iron ore shipments (100% basis) of 320 to 335Mt are expected in 2023, with mid-term capacity remaining at 345 to 360Mt.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/rio-tinto ... 00050506I/

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 30th, 2022, 7:41 am

Investor Seminar presentation.

The presentation to be given at the investor seminar today in London at 8.00am (GMT) / 7.00pm (AEDT) by Rio Tinto Chief Executive Jakob Stausholm and other executives and the live webcast can be accessed at https://www.riotinto.com/en/invest/pres ... nar-london .

https://www.investegate.co.uk/rio-tinto ... 01020512I/

Ian.

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » December 9th, 2022, 9:59 pm

Latest news from the FT:

Shareholders of Turquoise Hill have accepted Rio Tinto’s $3.3bn bid to buy all of the shares in the Canadian miner it did not already own, drawing to a close a tumultuous takeover battle that at times appeared on the brink of failure.

Best wishes,

Steve

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » December 9th, 2022, 10:06 pm

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 14th, 2022, 3:37 pm

I hold RIO, and seeing a near 3% drop in the stock's SP caught my eye. I thought I'd missed an ex dividend date from them or something, but it seems RIO have been downgraded by JP Morgan;

JPMorgan has downgraded Rio Tinto to 'underweight' following a review of European mining stocks.
In a note published on Wednesday, the bank said it was 'overweight' on European, Middle East and African metals and mining for 2023, "since metals are a key beneficiary of China's re-opening, plus positioning for a weaker US dollar".

It continued: "JP Morgan Strategists' base case is for a European and US recession in 2023, but that China re-opens with 4% 2023 estimated GDP and easy macro-comps in 2023 are likely to support superior growth momentum of China versus the rest of the world.

"We identify 2023 as marking a pivotal shift in cyclical and structural themes that have dominated miners' share prices in recent years: 'green' metals demand growth, iron ore supply, capex and shareholder returns."

It reiterated Glencore and Anglo American - both of which have an 'overweight' rating' - as its top picks in European mining. But it reduced Rio Tinto to 'underweight' from 'neutral', despite expecting "strong tailwinds" for the Anglo-Australian miner in the first quarter.

In European steel, it downgraded Sweden's SSAB to 'underweight', and stayed 'neutral' on Mittal and ThyssenKrupp.

The above quote can be found on the Company News item on the Rio Tinto page on HL here; https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... dinary-10p

The above will have no influence on my continuing to hold RIO.

Ian.

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » December 14th, 2022, 4:30 pm

idpickering wrote:I hold RIO, and seeing a near 3% drop in the stock's SP caught my eye. I thought I'd missed an ex dividend date from them or something, but it seems RIO have been downgraded by JP Morgan....

Ian.

Agreed. 3% for a miner is a trivial change!

In context, this calendar year, I have top sliced at 6157 and topped up at 4931 - a difference of almost 20%.

If one worries about a 3% fall, then should one be invested in any miner at all?

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 14th, 2022, 4:36 pm

77ss wrote:
idpickering wrote:I hold RIO, and seeing a near 3% drop in the stock's SP caught my eye. I thought I'd missed an ex dividend date from them or something, but it seems RIO have been downgraded by JP Morgan....

Ian.

Agreed. 3% for a miner is a trivial change!

In context, this calendar year, I have top sliced at 6157 and topped up at 4931 - a difference of almost 20%.

If one worries about a 3% fall, then should one be invested in any miner at all?

Likewise, agreed. In fact I've topped up my RIO holdngs twice this year, and they form 4.5% in capital value terms of my 29 share HYP. I have no intention of selling my RIO holdings any time soon, if ever.

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 16th, 2022, 7:09 am

Rio Tinto completes acquisition of Turquoise Hill.

Rio Tinto has completed its acquisition of Turquoise Hill Resources Ltd (TSX: TRQ) (NYSE: TRQ) ("Turquoise Hill") for a consideration of approximately $3.1 billion[1], simplifying its ownership of the world-class Oyu Tolgoi mine in Mongolia, significantly strengthening Rio Tinto's copper portfolio, and demonstrating its long-term commitment to the project and Mongolia.

Rio Tinto now holds a 66% direct interest in the Oyu Tolgoi project with the remaining 34% owned by the Government of Mongolia through Erdenes Oyu Tolgoi. The transaction closed following approval from the Yukon court in Canada and the majority of TRQ minority shareholders supporting the deal.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/rio-tinto ... 01019758J/

I hold, and am likely to top up my holdings soon.

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 16th, 2022, 1:41 pm

Key Dates.

Set out below are the key dates for Rio Tinto for the 2023 calendar year.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/rio-tinto ... 47140393K/

I hold.

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 17th, 2023, 4:48 am

2022 4th Quarter operational highlights and other key announcements.

• We continue to prioritise the safety, health and wellbeing of our workforce and communities where we
operate. We experienced our fourth consecutive year with no fatalities at our managed operations, and
continue to work hard with our partners to achieve the same results at our non-managed assets and marine
operations.
• Pilbara operations produced 324.1 million tonnes (100% basis) in 2022, 1% higher than 2021. Shipments
were 321.6 million tonnes (100% basis), in line with 2021. Performance improvements continued across the
system and we achieved record second half performance across the mine and rail system. We expect
Gudai-Darri to reach its nameplate capacity on a sustained basis during 2023.
• Bauxite production of 54.6 million tonnes was 1% higher than 2021, despite equipment reliability issues at
Weipa and Gove in Australia.
• Aluminium production of 3.0 million tonnes was 4% lower than 2021 due to reduced output at our Kitimat
smelter in British Columbia, Canada and Boyne smelter in Queensland, Australia. The rate of pot restarts at
Kitimat picked up in the fourth quarter and Boyne smelter cell recovery efforts continued. Recovery at both
smelters is progressing with full ramp-up expected to be completed during the course of 2023. All of our
other aluminium smelters continued to demonstrate stable performance.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/rio-tinto ... 00059124M/

Ian (I hold).
Last edited by csearle on January 18th, 2023, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix of link

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 30th, 2023, 4:36 am

Australian mining company apologises for losing highly radioactive capsule on 1,400km stretch of road.

The mining corporation handling the transportation of a highly radioactive capsule that went missing over a 1,400 km-long stretch of road in Western Australia has issued an apology for “causing an alarm” in the community.

“We recognise this is clearly very concerning and are sorry for the alarm it has caused in the Western Australian community,” said Simon Trott, chief executive of mining giant Rio Tinto Iron Ore on Sunday.

“As well as fully supporting the relevant authorities, we have launched our own investigation to understand how the capsule was lost in transit,” he said.

He added that the contractor was qualified to transport the device and had been confirmed being on board the truck by a Geiger counter prior to leaving the mine.

Authorities have been combing parts of the road looking for the tiny, but heavily dangerous and radioactive capsule.

The caesium-137 ceramic source, commonly used in radiation gauges, emits dangerous amounts of radiation, equivalent to receiving 10 X-rays in an hour.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/au ... r-AA16RDK7

A RNS might be out at 0700hrs today on this perhaps?

Ian (I hold).

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 30th, 2023, 9:01 am

I'm astonished that such a cargo could be 'lost in transit'. It sounds very careless.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 30th, 2023, 4:50 pm

monabri wrote:I'm astonished that such a cargo could be 'lost in transit'. It sounds very careless.

Agreed. I'm surprised no RNS on this was forthcoming. Either way, this mishap will not stop me holding my RIO shares for the long term.

Ian.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » February 1st, 2023, 10:10 am

monabri wrote:I'm astonished that such a cargo could be 'lost in transit'. It sounds very careless.

As I thought it wasn't very big, but they've now found it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-64481317

Easy to find as it was so radioactive, they just had to get out along the route with the right sensors.

Edit to add, though you do wonder why it wasn't in a large protective (and locked) box if only to shield the driver from the radiation.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » February 1st, 2023, 11:06 am

We had a similar item "lost" and found locally.

Ours was in fact stolen, then dumped at the back of some shops.
https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/n ... ng-centre/

I suspect that the frequency of such stuff being moved about means that these things happen vanishingly rarely.
Given the fact that the stuff quickly becomes less useful for it's intended purpose, they have to be replacing it often.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » February 1st, 2023, 8:08 pm

I spent a year at Harwell when I was a student. On the first day, on moving into my office, I was slightly surprised to find a small container in my desk drawer containing radioactive samples ...well it was the 80s!

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » February 1st, 2023, 8:19 pm

monabri wrote:
I spent a year at Harwell when I was a student.

On the first day, on moving into my office, I was slightly surprised to find a small container in my desk drawer containing radioactive samples ...well it was the 80s!

These guys weren't so lucky -

Between March and August 1962, a radiation incident in Mexico City occurred when a ten-year-old boy took home an unprotected industrial radiography source. Four people died from overexposure to radiation from the 5-Ci cobalt-60 capsule, an industrial radiography orphan source that was not contained in its proper shielding.

Reports differ as to the source's provenance: it was either found in a dump, found in a field, or was already in the house's yard when the affected family moved in and "was left to the family to keep and watch without any of the members of the family knowing exactly what the container was".

For several days, the boy kept the capsule in his pocket, then placed it in the kitchen cabinet of his home in Mexico City. Having obtained the source on March 21, the boy died 38 days later on April 29. Subsequently, his pregnant mother died on July 10, his two-year-old sister died on August 18, and his grandmother died on October 15 that year. The boy's father also received a significant radiation dose; he survived, however, presumably because he worked outside the home and his exposure was lower. Five other individuals also received significant overdoses of radiation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1962_Mexico_City_radiation_accident

or these -

The Kramatorsk radiological accident was a radiation accident that happened in Kramatorsk, in the Ukrainian SSR from 1980 to 1989. A small capsule containing highly radioactive caesium-137 was found inside the concrete wall of an apartment building, with a surface gamma radiation exposure dose rate of 1800 R/year. The capsule was detected only after residents requested that the level of radiation in the apartment be measured by a health physicist.

The capsule was originally part of a radiation level gauge and was lost in the Karansky quarry in the late 1970s. The search for the capsule was unsuccessful and ended after a week. The gravel from the quarry was used in construction. The caesium capsule ended up in the concrete panel of apartment 85 of building 7 on Mariyi Pryimachenko Street (at the time under the Soviet name Gvardeytsiv Kantemirovtsiv), between apartments 85 and 52.

Over nine years, two families lived in apartment 85. A child's bed was located directly next to the wall containing the capsule. The apartment was fully settled in 1980. A year later, an 18-year-old woman who lived there suddenly died. In 1982, her 16-year-old brother followed, and then their mother. Even after that the flat did not attract much public attention, despite the fact that the residents all died from leukaemia. Doctors were unable to determine root-cause of illness and explained the diagnosis by poor heredity. A new family moved into the apartment, and their son died from leukaemia as well. His father managed to start a detailed investigation, during which the vial was found in the wall in 1989.

By the time the capsule was discovered, four residents of the building had died from it and 17 more had received varying doses of radiation. Part of the wall was removed and sent to the Institute for Nuclear Research, where the caesium capsule was removed, identified by serial number and disposed of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kramatorsk_radiological_accident

What dangerous, tiny buggers these things are...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 22nd, 2023, 5:52 am

2022 full year results.

Rio Tinto Chief Executive Jakob Stausholm said: "We are building a stronger Rio Tinto and delivering
against our four objectives. Our operational performance has improved, as evidenced by a number of
second half records being set at our Pilbara iron ore mine and rail system. We are also investing for
the future, doubling our stake in the Oyu Tolgoi copper-gold project in Mongolia through the
acquisition of Turquoise Hill Resources, progressing the Rincon Lithium Project in Argentina and
reaching milestone agreements that underpin the long-term success of our Pilbara iron ore business.
"We continue to focus on making lasting change to strengthen our workplace culture and to building
better relationships with Indigenous peoples, communities and other partners. At all times we will
seek to find better ways, in line with our purpose. We clearly have more to do but I am encouraged by
the progress we are making.
"Despite challenging market conditions, we remain resilient because of the quality of our assets, our
great people and the strength of our balance sheet. That is why we delivered strong financial results
with underlying EBITDA of $26.3 billion, free cash flow of $9.0 billion and underlying earnings of
$13.3 billion, after taxes and government royalties of $8.4 billion. This enables us to continue to invest
in strengthening the business while also paying a total dividend of $8.0 billion, a 60% payout, in line
with our policy.
"The uplift in our operational performance, strengthening of external relationships and investment in
the long-term strength of the business ensure we will be able to continue to pay attractive dividends
and invest in sustaining and growing our portfolio, while contributing to society's drive to net zero."

Solid financial results in 2022, set against a context of record prices in 2021
• $16.1 billion net cash generated from operating activities, 36% lower than 2021. This included items
of a non-recurring nature which were not representative of the underlying strength of the
performance of the business, which, in aggregate, reduced operating cash flow by around $2 billion.
See page 5 for more detail. Free cash flow1
of $9.0 billion included capital expenditure of
$6.8 billion, which decreased 9% as we commissioned our current programme of Pilbara
replacement projects, notably Gudai-Darri.
• $12.4 billion of net earnings, 41% lower than 2021, reflected the movement in commodity prices,
the impact of higher energy and raw materials prices on our operations, and higher rates of inflation
on our operating costs and closure liabilities. Effective tax rate on net earnings of 30.9% compared
with 27.7% in 2021, with the increase being primarily due to the $0.8 billion write down of deferred
tax assets in the US.
• $26.3 billion underlying EBITDA1
was 30% below 2021, with an underlying EBITDA margin1
of 45%.
• $13.3 billion underlying earnings1
(underlying EPS1
of 819.6 US cents) were 38% below 2021.
• $4.2 billion of net debt1
at year end, compared with net cash1
of $1.6 billion at the start of the year,
primarily reflected the free cash flow1
of $9.0 billion, offset by $11.7 billion of cash returns to
shareholders and $3.8 billion for the acquisitions of Turquoise Hill Resources (TRQ)2
and Rincon
Lithium Project.
• $8.0 billion full-year dividend, equivalent to 492 US cents per share. This represents 60% of
underlying earnings, in line with our shareholder returns policy.
Delivering on our strategy
• We have put climate change and the low-carbon transition at the heart of our strategy. We are
decarbonising our assets; helping our customers decarbonise by developing new products and
technologies; and growing in materials enabling the energy transition. We will deliver our strategy
through four clear objectives, which guide how we operate. Progressing our strategy and four
objectives will ensure that we provide the materials the world needs while maximising shareholder
returns and strengthening our position as a partner of choice for our customers and other key
stakeholders.
• We continue our work on social licence to restore trust and rebuild relationships, particularly with
Indigenous peoples, with an absolute determination to achieve impeccable ESG credentials:
◦ We are implementing all recommendations from the comprehensive external review of our
workplace culture published in February to ensure that everyone at Rio Tinto has a safe,
respectful and inclusive workplace. Some immediate actions include training 91% of more
than 7,000 leaders in 2022 in the foundations of building psychological safety, exceeding our
target of 80%.
◦ We increased our gender diversity by 1.4 percentage points to 22.9%, but fell short of our
target to raise female representation by two percentage points. The increases were
distributed across all levels of the organisation with female senior leaders increasing from
27.4% to 28.3%. We have also increased the number of Indigenous leaders in our workforce
to 46 (November 2020: 6), through internal promotion and recruitment.

And later;

The 2022 final ordinary dividend to be paid to our Rio Tinto Limited shareholders will be fully franked.
The Board expects Rio Tinto Limited to be in a position to pay fully franked dividends for the
foreseeable future.
On 20 April 2023, we will pay the 2022 final ordinary dividend to holders of ordinary shares and
holders of ADRs on the register at the close of business on 10 March 2023 (record date). The exdividend date is 9 March 2023.
Rio Tinto plc shareholders may choose to receive their dividend in Australian dollars or New Zealand
dollars, and Rio Tinto Limited shareholders may choose to receive theirs in pounds sterling or New
Zealand dollars. Currency conversions will be based on the pound sterling, Australian dollar and New
Zealand dollar exchange rates five business days before the dividend payment date. Rio Tinto plc and
Rio Tinto Limited shareholders must register their currency elections by 28 March 2023.
We will operate our Dividend Reinvestment Plans for the 2022 final dividend (visit riotinto.com for
details). Rio Tinto plc and Rio Tinto Limited shareholders’ election notice for the Dividend
Reinvestment Plans must be received by 28 March 2023. Purchases under the Dividend
Reinvestment Plan are made on or as soon as practicable after the dividend payment date and at
prevailing market prices. There is no discount available.

492US cents per share, 38% less than last year it seems?

The above is downloadable via here; https://www.riotinto.com/en/invest/fina ... ce/results
A RNS will no doubt be issued at 0700hrs UK time today.

Ian (I hold).

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 22nd, 2023, 6:59 am

Please note that a better, and more accurate update, kindly provided by monabri over on HYPP, is available here;

viewtopic.php?p=570201#p570201

"Shareholders will receive a $US2.25 final dividend, which took the full-year total to $US4.92.
While less than half last year’s bumper dividends, it was still better than analysts had expected."

"Analysts had expected Rio’s total dividends for 2022 to be $US4.82 per share; less than half last year’s record $US10.40 per share total payout."

"Rio’s official policy is to pay between 40 per cent and 60 per cent of underlying earnings as dividends every six months."

"A 26 per cent fall in received iron ore prices over the year was among the main reasons Rio’s profit declined"

Rio shareprice "down under closed ~0.5% down.

Ian.

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”