Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Shell PLC (SHEL)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
88V8
Lemon Half

Re: Shell PLC (SHEL)

Postby 88V8 » February 3rd, 2023, 10:55 am

Bouleversee wrote:
BullDog wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:Especially when many of us are still losing large sums on Centrica, for instance, and haven't had all that much in the way of dividends.
What are those without company pensions supposed to live on?

It's a shame you weren't doing the interview this evening with the idiot (Ed) Milliband who was almost foaming at the mouth when being asked about Shell. There's millions of pensioners and their pension funds absolutely dependent on Shell, BP etc..... for their income. Milliband appears to believe the company's world wide profits should be confiscated.

Well, I was actually but unfortunately he couldn't hear me. :) :D All right for him with a generous indexed pension to look forward to but many are dependent on variabke investment income now and whether in cash or equities have not kept pace with inflation. Unable to strike, they just have to suck it up.

Yes, the BBC is sometimes obsessed with 'balance' but not when it comes to pensioners, savers, and those in receipt of dividends.

V8

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » February 3rd, 2023, 11:12 am

88V8 wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:
BullDog wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:Especially when many of us are still losing large sums on Centrica, for instance, and haven't had all that much in the way of dividends.

It's a shame you weren't doing the interview this evening with the idiot (Ed) Milliband who was almost foaming at the mouth when being asked about Shell. There's millions of pensioners and their pension funds absolutely dependent on Shell, BP etc..... for their income. Milliband appears to believe the company's world wide profits should be confiscated.

Well, I was actually but unfortunately he couldn't hear me. :) :D All right for him with a generous indexed pension to look forward to but many are dependent on variabke investment income now and whether in cash or equities have not kept pace with inflation. Unable to strike, they just have to suck it up.

Yes, the BBC is sometimes obsessed with 'balance' but not when it comes to pensioners, savers, and those in receipt of dividends.

V8

It's not just the BBC though. As a country we used to encourage and almost celebrate successful businesses and entrepreneurs. We used to think it was a good thing that people took risks and if they were successful took retirement early, had more than one property, big cars etc..... There seems a general opinion amongst the media and politicians that businesses and success are to be depised and taxed to oblivion. I despair. Truly, we are all poorer as a result and the cake is getting smaller. But the Millibands of the world seem to think by making the state's slice increasingly larger..... To be honest, I don't really know what they think any more.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 3rd, 2023, 11:29 am

BullDog wrote:
88V8 wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:
BullDog wrote:

V8

It's not just the BBC though. As a country we used to encourage and almost celebrate successful businesses and entrepreneurs. We used to think it was a good thing that people took risks and if they were successful took retirement early, had more than one property, big cars etc..... There seems a general opinion amongst the media and politicians that businesses and success are to be depised and taxed to oblivion. I despair. Truly, we are all poorer as a result and the cake is getting smaller. But the Millibands of the world seem to think by making the state's slice increasingly larger..... To be honest, I don't really know what they think any more.

And if you are writing from an English/UK perspective, you should hear our Nicola and her Greens. She used to be all for Scotland's oil - no wonder, as she was relying on that in the event of independence. She is now totally anti it much to the disgust of even her SNP MSPs in the North East.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 3rd, 2023, 12:56 pm

Dod101 wrote:
BullDog wrote:
88V8 wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:
BullDog wrote:It's a shame you weren't doing the interview this evening with the idiot (Ed) Milliband who was almost foaming at the mouth when being asked about Shell. There's millions of pensioners and their pension funds absolutely dependent on Shell, BP etc..... for their income. Milliband appears to believe the company's world wide profits should be confiscated.

V8

And if you are writing from an English/UK perspective, you should hear our Nicola and her Greens. She used to be all for Scotland's oil - no wonder, as she was relying on that in the event of independence. She is now totally anti it much to the disgust of even her SNP MSPs in the North East.

Dod

FWIW, up here in Orkney we vote for anyone else other than her party to keep them out. It's very Liberal' here ;), but let's not clutter this board with politics.

Ian.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » February 3rd, 2023, 10:15 pm

During the energy crisis I did not suffer a power cut here in Tunbridge Wells. I commend Shell and other such to the house for having done whatever was necessary to keep my lights on. Even were I not a (nanoscopic) shareholder I would not begrudge them what fortunes they (we) may have inadvertently made. They may need reserves for what may follow.

Chris

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 27th, 2023, 4:39 pm

Goldman Sachs upgrades Shell to buy, says oil giant can surge 40%.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/27/goldman ... rcent.html

The item is behind a firewall it seems? But the title says it all for me anyway.

Shell up 1.64% as I type. BP is up roughly the same too though.

Ian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 27th, 2023, 5:42 pm

idpickering wrote:Goldman Sachs upgrades Shell to buy, says oil giant can surge 40%.

The item is behind a firewall it seems? But the title says it all for me anyway.

Shell up 1.64% as I type. BP is up roughly the same too though.

Ian.

I cannot get to the article but no matter because we can all believe what we want to. A 40% surge just takes it to around £30. Perfectly possible as long as oil remains relatively high .could of course fall back below £20.

Dod

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » February 27th, 2023, 5:49 pm

idpickering wrote:Goldman Sachs upgrades Shell to buy, says oil giant can surge 40%.

The item is behind a firewall it seems? But the title says it all for me anyway...

Thias one isn't behind a paywall.

Shell hits 7-month high after Goldman upgrade
https://uk.investing.com/news/stock-mar ... de-2929099

Breelander (holds)

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 9th, 2023, 8:14 am

Shell plc published Annual Report and Accounts.

Shell plc published its Annual Report and Accounts for the year ended December 31, 2022.

The 2022 Annual Report and Accounts will be submitted to the Annual General Meeting to be held on May 23, 2023.

The 2022 Annual Report and Accounts can be viewed online or downloaded in .pdf format from March 9, 2023 at http://www.shell.com/annual-publications.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/shell-plc ... 0000H6941/

Ian (I hold).

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 13th, 2023, 7:06 am

Shell Plc Fourth Quarter 2022 Euro and Gbp Equivalent Dividend Payments.

The Board of Shell plc (the “Company”) today announced the pounds sterling and euro equivalent dividend payments in respect of the fourth quarter 2022 interim dividend, which was announced on February 2, 2023 at US$0.2875 per ordinary share.

Shareholders have been able to elect to receive their dividends in US dollars, euros or pounds sterling. Holders of ordinary shares who have validly submitted US dollars, euros or pounds sterling currency elections by March 3, 2023 will be entitled to a dividend of US$0.2875, €0.2716 or 24.11p per ordinary share, respectively.

Absent any valid election to the contrary, persons holding their ordinary shares through Euroclear Nederland will receive their dividends in euros at the euro rate per ordinary share shown above. Absent any valid election to the contrary, shareholders (both holding in certificated and uncertificated form (CREST members)) and persons holding their shares through the Shell Corporate Nominee will receive their dividends in pounds sterling, at the pound sterling rate per ordinary share shown above.

Euro and pounds sterling dividends payable in cash have been converted from US dollars based on an average of market exchange rates over the three dealing days from March 8 to March 10, 2023. This dividend will be payable on March 27, 2023 to those members whose names were on the Register of Members on February 17, 2023.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/shell-plc ... 0000H7677/

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 16th, 2023, 9:43 am

Shell plc publishes its Energy Transition Progress Report 2022.

Shell reports good progress on journey to net-zero emissions

Shell plc has published its Energy Transition Progress Report 2022, which can be viewed and downloaded from http://www.shell.com/agm. The report shows Shell has again met its climate targets as part of its energy transition strategy. The report will be put to shareholders for an advisory vote at Shell’s Annual General Meeting, currently scheduled for May 23, 2023.

“In this report, we show the progress we have made towards becoming a net-zero emissions energy business by 2050, as we continue to supply the vital energy the world needs during a time of great volatility," said Wael Sawan, Shell's Chief Executive Officer. "I am especially proud of the progress we have made in reducing carbon emissions from our operations, with a 30% reduction by the end of 2022 compared with 2016 on a net basis."

By the end of 2022, the net carbon intensity of the energy products sold by Shell had also fallen by 3.8%, compared with 2016. Our analysis, using data from the International Energy Agency, shows the net carbon intensity of the global energy system fell by around 2% over that time. (For more details see http://www.shell.com/energytransitionfaq).

The report highlights important steps that Shell has taken to advance its energy transition strategy. These include significant investments in liquefied natural gas (LNG), which Shell expects to remain an important part of the energy mix for many years to come, partly because of its role in reducing emissions from power generation and transport.

Other steps include Shell's $1.6 billion investment in Indian renewable power developer Sprng Energy, and the final investment decision on the Holland Hydrogen 1 project in the Netherlands, which will be Europe’s largest renewable hydrogen plant. In 2022, Shell also announced the acquisition of Denmark's Nature Energy, which produces renewable natural gas, for around $2 billion. This deal was completed at the beginning of 2023.

Shell also increased the number of electric vehicle charge points it owned or operated worldwide by 62% to around 139,000 in 2022, up from 86,000 the previous year.

Sir Andrew Mackenzie, Shell Chair, said: “We believe the progress we have made in line with our energy transition strategy has been to the benefit of our customers, our shareholders and wider society.”

This progress comes at a time when the energy system still faces challenges as high energy prices continue to contribute to a cost-of-living crisis for many people. These challenges have highlighted the need for a balanced energy transition: one in which the world achieves net-zero emissions, while still providing a secure and affordable supply of energy.

Shell’s energy transition strategy was put to an advisory shareholder vote at its 2021 Annual General Meeting, where it secured 89% of the vote. At the 2022 AGM, almost 80% of shareholders who voted supported our progress in implementing this strategy.

This year, Shell is again asking shareholders to vote on its annual progress.

Read the report at http://www.shell.com/energy-transition-progress-report.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/shell-plc ... 1336H8415/

Shell are a mainstay in my portfolio, and I'm pleased to see them trying to do their bit in this regard.

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 28th, 2023, 10:23 am

Report on Payments to Governments for the year 2022.

This Report provides a consolidated overview of the payments to governments made by Shell plc and its subsidiary undertakings (hereinafter referred to as “Shell”) for the year 2022 as required under the UK’s Report on Payments to Governments Regulations 2014 (as amended in December 2015). These UK Regulations enact domestic rules in line with Directive 2013/34/EU (the EU Accounting Directive (2013)) and apply to large UK incorporated companies like Shell that are involved in the exploration, prospection, discovery, development and extraction of minerals, oil, natural gas deposits or other materials. This Report is also filed with the National Storage Mechanism (https://data.fca.org.uk/#/nsm/nationalstoragemechanism) intended to satisfy the requirements of the Disclosure Guidance and Transparency Rules of the Financial Conduct Authority in the United Kingdom. Following the UK’s exit from the EU and the end of the transition period on 31 December 2020, this report is also published pursuant to article 5:25e of the Dutch FMSA (Wft).

This Report is available for download from http://www.shell.com/payments.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/shell-plc ... 0000H0571/

Ian (I hold).

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 6th, 2023, 7:12 am

Shell first quarter 2023 update note.

The following is an update to the first quarter 2023 outlook and gives an overview of our current
expectations for the first quarter. Outlooks presented may vary from the actual first quarter 2023
results and are subject to finalisation of those results, which are scheduled to be published on May
4, 2023. Unless otherwise indicated, all outlook statements exclude identified items.

https://www.shell.com/media/news-and-me ... e-note.pdf

RNS here; https://www.investegate.co.uk/shell-plc ... 0000H2612/

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 6th, 2023, 8:27 am

I guess the above has been well received on the market, with SHEL being up 1.65% as I type. BP. are up 0.25% insidently.

I'm very much of the "never sell Shell "ilk, although I did trim my holdings not long ago, as they'd become to large in capital value weighting terms of my portfolio for my liking). Going forward, I'm happy to hold my remaining SHEL shares until I snuff it (I'm 61).

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 4th, 2023, 8:01 am

Shell plc First Quarter 2023 Interim Dividend

The Board of Shell plc (the “Company”) today announced an interim dividend in respect of the first quarter of 2023 of US$ 0.2875 per ordinary share.

Ex div 18 May 23.

Currency conversion rate 12 Jun 23, paid 26 Jun 23.

https://www.londonstockexchange.com/new ... d/15942944

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 4th, 2023, 8:05 am

SHELL PLC FIRST QUARTER 2023 UNAUDITED RESULTS

Quarter Analysis1

Income attributable to Shell plc shareholders, compared with the fourth quarter 2022, mainly reflected unfavourable tax movements, and lower realised oil and gas prices, partly offset by lower operating expenses and higher Chemicals and Products trading and optimisation results.

First quarter 2023 income attributable to Shell plc shareholders also included impairment charges of $0.5 billion. These charges are included in identified items amounting to a net loss of $0.5 billion in the quarter. This compares with identified items in the fourth quarter 2022 which amounted to a net gain of $1.5 billion.

Adjusted Earnings and Adjusted EBITDA2 were driven by the same factors as income attributable to Shell plc shareholders and adjusted for the above identified items and the cost of supplies adjustment of positive $0.5 billion.

Cash flow from operating activities for the first quarter 2023 was $14.2 billion, and included a working capital outflow of $0.8 billion, and tax payments of $3.1 billion. The working capital outflow mainly reflected the reversal of temporary deposits from joint ventures received in the fourth quarter 2022, and other accounts receivable and payable movements, partly offset by initial margins inflows, and lower prices and inventories.
Cash flow from investing activities for the quarter was an outflow of $4.2 billion, and included capital expenditure of $6.2 billion, which includes the acquisition of Nature Energy Biogas A/S for nearly $2 billion, and divestment proceeds of $1.7 billion.

Net debt and Gearing: At the end of the first quarter 2023, net debt was $44.2 billion, compared with $44.8 billion at the end of the fourth quarter 2022. Gearing was 18.4% at the end of the first quarter 2023, compared with 18.9% at the end of the fourth quarter 2022, driven by net debt reduction and higher equity.

https://www.londonstockexchange.com/new ... s/15942769

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 4th, 2023, 8:10 am

Shell announces commencement of a share buyback programme

Shell plc (the ‘company’) today announces the commencement of a $4 billion share buyback programme covering an aggregate contract term of approximately three months (the ‘programme’). The purpose of the programme is to reduce the issued share capital of the company. All shares repurchased as part of the programme will be cancelled. It is intended that, subject to market conditions, the programme will be completed prior to the company’s Q2 2023 results announcement, scheduled for July 27, 2023.

The company has entered into an arrangement with a single broker consisting of three irrevocable, non-discretionary contracts, to enable the purchase of ordinary shares on both London market exchanges (the London Stock Exchange and/or on BATS and/or on Chi-X) (pursuant to two ‘London contracts’) and Netherlands exchanges (Euronext Amsterdam and/or on CBOE Europe DXE and/or on Turquoise Europe) (pursuant to one ‘Netherlands contract’) for a period up to and including July 21, 2023. The aggregate maximum consideration for the purchase of ordinary shares under the London contracts is $2 billion and the maximum consideration for the purchase of ordinary shares under the Netherlands contract is $2 billion. Purchases under the London contracts will be carried out in accordance with the company’s authority1 to repurchase shares on-market and will be effected within certain contractually agreed parameters. Purchases under the Netherlands contract will be carried out in accordance with the company’s authority1 to repurchase shares off-market pursuant to the off-market share buyback contract approved by its shareholders and the parameters set out therein.

The maximum number of ordinary shares which may be purchased or committed to be purchased by the company under the programme (across all three contracts) is 250,000,000, which is the maximum number remaining as of the date of this announcement pursuant to the relevant authorities granted by shareholders at the company's 2022 Annual General Meeting1.

https://www.londonstockexchange.com/new ... e/15942946

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 4th, 2023, 8:31 am

Shell are doing well today, up 2% as I type. To be honest, I'm a bit relieved, after how BP. performed following their latest performance announcement.

Ian ( Who holds both of the above).

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 10th, 2023, 10:27 am

Shell wins UK Supreme Court case on 2011 oil spill off Nigerian coast.

The UK Supreme Court ruled on Wednesday that it was too late for a group of Nigerian claimants to sue two Shell subsidiaries over a 2011 offshore oil spill they say had a devastating impact on the coastal area where they live.

The case stems from the leakage of an estimated 40,000 barrels of crude oil on Dec. 20, 2011, during the loading of an oil tanker at Shell's Bonga oil field, 120 km off the coast of Nigeria's southern Niger Delta.

A group of 27,800 individuals and 457 communities living in the delta have been trying to sue Shell, saying the resulting oil slick polluted their lands and waterways, damaging farming, fishing, drinking water, mangrove forests and religious shrines.

But the Supreme Court upheld rulings by two lower courts that found they had brought their case after the expiry of a six-year legal deadline for taking action.

A panel of five Supreme Court justices unanimously rejected their lawyers' argument that the ongoing consequences of the pollution represented a "continuing nuisance", a technical term for a type of civil tort. This would have meant that the six-year deadline did not apply.

"The Supreme Court rejects the claimants' submission. There was no continuing nuisance in this case," said justice Andrew Burrows, delivering the ruling on behalf of the panel.

"The leak was a one-off event or an isolated escape. The oil pipe was no longer leaking after six hours," he said.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/shell-wins-uk ... 48203.html

Ian (I hold).

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 18th, 2023, 4:32 pm

Shell Demands Profit From Green Energy, Not Just CO2 Cuts.

Shell Plc executives are telling their renewable power business that it needs to become more profitable, not just deliver lower carbon emissions, and pull back from the less successful elements of its clean-energy strategy.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/shell-de ... 15584.html

Ian.

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”