Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

BT Group (BT.A)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
idpickering
The full Lemon

Re: BT Group (BT.A)

Postby idpickering » May 18th, 2023, 8:07 am

Dod101 wrote:With respect, Ian has not quoted the results, they are the very optimistic comments on the results, which, by anyone's reading, are dismal. Reported profit is down 12%, dividend is held as are most of the other figures (or worse) I am not sure what sector they are in but between Vodafone, it is a good sector not to be in. With that background who would believe in their strategy?

Dod

No problem Dod, and I get where you're coming from re the quote I put up in my OP. I like to think that those on these boards can make up their own minds as to which parts they want to read. I try to give the reader a gist of what's on offer in any given announcement, thereafter, it's up to them.

As to both Telecoms, BT Group and Vodafone, I admit to regretting having been so crass as to buy back into the later, again.

BT.A are down 8% as I type, on UK market opening.

Ian.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 18th, 2023, 9:33 am

They report an increase in the number of FTTP (fibre to the premises) connections...I wonder how many, like me, didn't bother to opt for a telephone landline connection which is an extra cost?

Normalised Free Cas Flow (BTdefinition)...makes VOD's adjusted FCF seem reasonable!

"Free cash flow (net cash inflow from operating activities after net capital expenditure) after net interest paid and payment of lease liabilities, before pension deficit payments (including their cash tax benefit), payments relating to spectrum, and specific items. It excludes cash flows that are determined at a corporate level independently of ongoing trading operations such as dividends paid, share buybacks, acquisitions and disposals, repayment and raising of debt, cash flows relating to loans with joint ventures, and cash flows relating to the Building Digital UK demand deposit account which have already been accounted for within normalised free cash flow. For non-tax related items the adjustments are made on a pre-tax basis."

There's way too many moving parts in that calculation for it to be of any value to the average investor.

Still making big payments to the pension fund.

"Net debt £18.9bn, up £850m primarily due to pension scheme contribution of £1bn"

The normalised FCF forecast is £1bn to £1.2bn for comparison.

The pension is being funded by increased debt...

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 18th, 2023, 9:50 am

9882 million shares x £0.077 = £761 m dividend.

The normalised FCF doesn't support both divi and pension payments nevermind the other listed items ( see previous). Hence the debt increase.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » May 18th, 2023, 10:15 am

monabri wrote:They report an increase in the number of FTTP (fibre to the premises) connections...I wonder how many, like me, didn't bother to opt for a telephone landline connection which is an extra cost?

Too right. I got rid of my landline when I got the full fibre installed in March and I'm a fiver a month better off.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » June 8th, 2023, 3:45 pm

Annual Financial Report.

BT Group plc announces that its Annual Report 2023 (the Annual Report), the Notice of meeting 2023 (the Notice) have been published today and are available on its website at bt.com/annualreport

A copy of the Annual Report, Notice and proxy form for the BT Group plc Annual General Meeting 2023 have been submitted to the National Storage Mechanism and will shortly be available for inspection at

https://data.fca.org.uk/#/nsm/nationalstoragemechanism

The BT Group plc 2023 Annual General Meeting will be held as a hybrid meeting and shareholders can join via the online meeting platform or in person. The in-person meeting will take place at The Vox Conference Venue, Resorts World, Birmingham, B40 1PU at 2:00pm on Thursday 13 July 2023. For more information, please refer to the Notice and our website bt.com/agm

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcement/7566334

Ian (No holding).

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » June 27th, 2023, 3:18 pm

BT Group are currently down 4.7%. This might be why?

BT Group tumbled on Tuesday after UBS downgraded the shares to 'sell' from 'neutral' and cut the price target to 120p from 146p, as it assumed a halving of the dividend amid free cash flow pressures.
"We think the market has underestimated the impact of rising interest rates and accounting changes at BT Sport that impacts free cash flow," the bank said.

"Without a dividend cut, BT Group will have to borrow more than £900m per annum over the next three years.

"Borrowing to fund both the dividend and pension deficit payments when the cost of debt is rising presents risks and we assume a halving of the dividend to 3.85p (from 7.7p)."

At 0940 BST, the shares were down 4% at 122.50p.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... rdinary-5p

The above is on the company news portion of the board I've linked to on HL.

Ian (No holding of BT Group).

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 10th, 2023, 7:05 am

Chief Executive succession process.

The board of directors (the "Board") of BT Group plc ('BT Group") announces that Chief Executive Philip Jansen has informed the Board that at an appropriate moment over the next 12 months he intends to step down from his role.

In preparation for this, the Nominations Committee of the Board has been conducting a formal succession process.

Adam Crozier, BT Group Chairman said: "Philip has done an excellent job in his time at BT and the Board is fully supportive of our long-term strategy which he and his team are pursuing. Whilst we are still in the early years of that transformation we are on track to deliver.

The succession process to replace Philip is something that the Board was well prepared for. All appropriate candidates are being considered and we expect to be able to update the market on progress over the course of the summer. In the meantime, it is business as usual, and we are focused on executing our plans and delivering for all our stakeholders."

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... ss/7621682

Ian (No holding).

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 14th, 2023, 5:39 am

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 27th, 2023, 7:32 am

Trading Statement.

Philip Jansen, Chief Executive, commenting on the results, said

"We've made a strong start to the year, in what remains a very competitive market, with improved customer satisfaction, pro forma revenue growth in all of our business units and pro forma group EBITDA up by 5%. Openreach is now 44% of the way through its full fibre build, and customer demand has continued to grow with a total network take-up rate of 32%. Consumer is seeing solid pro forma growth driven by pricing and mix, as customers choose higher performance connections; and Business grew its order book, driving revenue growth for the combined unit. We continue to drive transformation across the group, and while there remains much to do it's clear that our strategy is working and BT Group is set up for success."

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... nt/7657773

Ian (No holding).

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 31st, 2023, 7:06 am

Allison Kirkby to become BT Group Chief Executive.

BT Group plc ("BT Group") today announces the appointment of Allison Kirkby as Chief Executive. She will take over from Philip Jansen as Chief Executive around the end of January 2024 at the latest.

Allison has been President & CEO of Telia Company since early 2020. Telia, headquartered in Sweden, is the market leading digital communications and telecommunications provider to 25 million customers across the Nordic and Baltic region. She moved into the TMT sector in 2010, initially joining Virgin Media, and was most recently President & CEO of TDC (2018-2020), the largest telecommunications company in Denmark, and President & CEO of Tele2 AB (2015-2018) the largest challenger telecommunications company in Sweden and the Baltics.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... ve/7664199

Ian (No holding).

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 2nd, 2023, 7:34 am

Results for the half year to 30 September 2023.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... rt/7855010

Ian (No holding).

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » November 2nd, 2023, 9:11 am

idpickering wrote:Results for the half year to 30 September 2023.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... rt/7855010

Ian (No holding).

These results show that BT Group is delivering and on target: we're rapidly building and connecting customers to our next generation networks, we're simplifying our products and services, and we're now seeing predictable and consistent revenue and EBITDA growth.

"We've strengthened our competitive position with the launch of both New EE and our renewed strategy in Business, and Openreach has now built full fibre broadband to more than a third of the UK's homes and businesses with a growing connection rate. Our transformation programme has now delivered £2.5bn in annualised savings, well on track to meet our £3bn savings target by FY25.

"Our delivery in the first half means we are confirming our financial outlook for FY24 with normalised free cash flow now expected towards the top end of the guidance range, and we are declaring an interim dividend of 2.31 pence per share. BT Group has a bright future and I'm pleased to be handing the baton to Allison Kirkby early in the new year. She knows the sector, she knows the company and she's the right person to lead BT Group from this position of operational strength."

Continued strong execution of our strategy

• FTTP build rate accelerated to 66k per week delivering a record of 860k premises passed in the quarter, FTTP footprint is now expanded to 12m premises with a further 6m where initial build is underway

• Strong customer demand in Openreach for FTTP with net adds of 364k in Q2, bringing take-up rate to 33%

• Openreach broadband ARPU grew by 10% year-on-year due to price rises and increased volumes of FTTP; Openreach broadband line losses of 255k in H1, a 1% decline in the broadband base; whilst we continue to target a decline of around 400k in FY24, softer market conditions increase the risk that losses will be above this level

• Consumer broadband ARPU for the year to date increased 4% year-on-year and Consumer postpaid mobile ARPU for the year to date increased 9% year-on-year; churn for the year to date remains stable for both broadband and postpaid mobile at 1.1% and 1.0% respectively

• In October 'New EE' was launched with a modern digital platform and a set of converged products and services

• Retail FTTP base grew year-on-year by 48% to 2.2m of which Consumer 2.1m and Business 0.1m; 5G base 9.9m, up 42% year-on-year

• Cost transformation on track with gross annualised cost savings of £2.5bn since April 2020 against our £3bn target, with a cost to achieve of £1.3bn against a target of £1.6bn

• Continued focus on creating standout customer experiences with BT Group NPS of 22.7, up 1.8pts year-on-year

Adjusted1 Revenue and EBITDA growth:

• Reported revenue £10.4bn, in line with the prior year; adjusted1 revenue £10.4bn, up 3% on a pro forma2 basis due to increased fibre-enabled product sales, inflation-linked pricing and improved lower margin trading in Business partially offset by legacy product declines

• Adjusted1 EBITDA £4.1bn, up 6%; and up 4% on a pro forma2 basis with revenue flow through and strong cost control more than offsetting cost inflation and one-off items in the prior year; Business EBITDA decline due to increased input costs and legacy high-margin managed contract declines

• Reported profit before tax £1.1bn, up 29% largely due to factors driving adjusted1 EBITDA growth

• Reported capital expenditure ('capex') £2.3bn, down 11% with lower fixed network spend driven by lower FTTP build unit costs; cash capex of £2.5bn also down 11%

• Net cash inflow from operating activities £2.3bn; normalised free cash flow1 £0.5bn, up £0.4bn primarily due to £0.2bn increase in adjusted EBITDA1 and £0.3bn decrease in cash capital expenditure partly offset by £(0.1)bn net working capital outflow; net working capital movements includes £359m from the sale of cash flows of contract assets relating to mobile handsets as well as £(220)m from lower utilisation of a supply chain financing programme

• Net debt £19.7bn, (31 March 2023: £18.9bn), increasing mainly due to pension scheme contributions with net free cash flow for the first half of FY24 substantially offsetting the payment for the final dividend of FY23

• Gross IAS 19 deficit of £3.9bn, up from £3.1bn at 31 March 2023 mainly due to the increase in real interest rates and narrowing of credit spreads over H1, partly offset by deficit contributions

• Interim dividend for FY24 of 2.31 pence per share (pps) in line with our policy of paying 30% of prior year's full year dividend

• FY24 Outlook: Adjusted1 revenue and EBITDA growth on a pro forma basis; capital expenditure excluding spectrum of around £5.0bn; normalised free cash flow towards the top end of £1.0bn-£1.2bn range.

Dividend 2.31p paid 2 feb ex 28dec record date 29 dec

More info here, the RNS is just a brief summary:
http://www.rns-pdf.londonstockexchange. ... 3-11-1.pdf

I've not read them in detail yet, but the pension payments are definitely a drag on performance financially. I was hoping that the higher interest rates would reduce the pension deficit - I'll have to look at that when I have a more detailed read of the pdf.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » November 14th, 2023, 8:31 am

Pension triennial valuation:

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... on/7878796

BT Group announces triennial pension valuation

BT Group and the BT Pension Scheme ("BTPS") have agreed the 30 June 2023 triennial funding valuation ("2023 valuation") and how the deficit will be addressed (the "recovery plan"):

1. The funding deficit at 30 June 2023 is £3.70bn, down from £7.98bn at the 2020 funding valuation following £4.36bn of deficit contributions

2. Annual contribution amounts remain unchanged, at £600m in each financial year until 31 March 2030, and a final payment of £490m before 30 April 2030. In addition, BT Group will continue to make payments of £180m each year under the asset-backed funding arrangement agreed at the 2020 valuation

The BTPS will continue to de-risk its investment strategy through to 2034, providing more certainty over outcomes, and is on track to be fully funded by 2030.

BT Group has agreed to continue to provide the BTPS with legal protections to 2035 as part of a long-term funding framework. The changes made to contractual protections for the BTPS at this valuation are consistent with our statutory obligations under the Pension Schemes Act 2021. The amendments agreed to the BTPS's existing stabiliser mechanism provide greater certainty that BTPS will achieve full funding and increase the likelihood of a future refund to BT Group.

Simon Lowth, BT Group Chief Financial Officer, said: "I am pleased that the BTPS continues to deliver in line with the long-term plan, despite the uncertainty and headwinds observed since 2020. Building on the framework agreed at the 2020 valuation allowed for a swift conclusion of the 2023 valuation.

"The agreement allows us to deliver on our strategic initiatives such as investing in our networks and transforming our business. And it is consistent with our funding priorities of investing in value enhancing opportunities, supporting our pension funds, paying progressive dividends and maintaining a strong balance sheet."

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 1st, 2024, 7:33 am

Trading update for nine months to 31 December 2023

"BT Group has delivered another quarter of revenue and EBITDA growth, while rapidly building and upgrading customers to our full-fibre broadband and 5G networks, and we continue to be on track to achieve our financial outlook for the year.

"We are providing great digital connectivity and services, while laying the foundations for future growth that will benefit our customers, investors and the UK. As I assume the role of Chief Executive, we remain committed to our purpose and our strategic focus, and I am looking forward to leading BT Group into its next phase of development."

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... 23/8016221

Ian (No holding).

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » February 21st, 2024, 12:41 pm

BT sells BT Tower to MCR hotels:
https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... ls/8048616

BT Group announces sale of BT Tower to MCR Hotels

BT Group has agreed to the sale of the BT Tower for £275m to MCR Hotels, who plan to preserve BT Tower as an iconic hotel, securing its place as a London landmark for the future.

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”