Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

National Grid (NG.)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
richfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: National Grid (NG.)

Postby richfool » May 16th, 2019, 7:37 pm

According to HL website, someone (or more likely some organisation) bought £19,637,546.13 worth of NG shares at 16.35 today. That was 2410994 shares. As the trade was priced at 814.50p HL assumed it was a purchase.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... 2,-204473p

77ss
Lemon Slice

Postby 77ss » May 16th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Lootman wrote:
77ss wrote:
Lootman wrote:Any article with a title like that is doomed.

Remember "Never Sell Glaxo", the love affair with Hanson and ICI, or the Nifty Fifty?

Personally I'm still waiting to get my money back on Coats Viyella and Marconi.

I agree with you about stupidly titled articles - harbingers of doom indeed - but of those you mention the only one I have any experience with is GSK.

I have held it (or its predecessors) for nearly 30 years now, and am sitting on an XIRR of 9.6%.

No miracle worker, but a satisfactory component of my holdings. I top-slice and top-up occasionally but have no intention (at the moment) of selling up.

Good luck with Marconi -:)!

Fair play although didn't most of that return in Glaxo happen in the first of those three decades? The share price looks pretty flat or down over the last 20 years. It peaked at 2288 in January 1999 and I am seeing 1550 today.

Thank God for the dividends, I guess.

Quite right. I had my shares as a consequence of my employment (with SmithKline & French rather than Glaxo) and wasn't an active investor back in 1999-2000. I do remember a big peak ('Irrational Exuberance'?) following the merger with Glaxo and these days, would almost certainly have made a substantial top-slice - or complete sale, but hey-ho - new job, other things to worry about... Sitting on it hasn't actually served me too badly - I might have put the money into a real dud.

Upon embarking on my active investing (as an HYPer initially) I did make top-ups at about 1200p back in 2008-2009, so have managed a bit of CG - as well as getting the decent dividends. Lucky timing. A share I don't worry too much about.

PinkDalek
Lemon Quarter

Postby PinkDalek » May 16th, 2019, 8:10 pm

richfool wrote:According to HL website, someone (or more likely some organisation) bought £19,637,546.13 worth of NG shares at 16.35 today. That was 2410994 shares. As the trade was priced at 814.50p HL assumed it was a purchase.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... 2,-204473p

The London Stock Exchange describe that item as an Uncrossed Trade being the result of the closing auction. So neither a buy nor a sell in the sense you suggest:

https://www.londonstockexchange.com/exc ... upToRow=-1

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter

Postby Itsallaguess » May 16th, 2019, 8:45 pm

richfool wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
Inevitably we now have two threads running. I know not why.

Yes, that's correct. As I understand it, that is why the system was set up.

The HYP Practical board is used for the discussion of matters more tightly related to the stock within a HYP portfolio.

The Share News board is used for the discussion of broader issues related to the stock and also avoids posters taking HYP discussions off-topic.

I think tremendous credit should be given here, as I think it's the first time that I've read such a clear explanation of the intent from someone who's not involved with moderation.

Well done richfool - there's hope for us all yet!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » May 17th, 2019, 8:55 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
richfool wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
Inevitably we now have two threads running. I know not why.

The HYP Practical board is used for the discussion of matters more tightly related to the stock within a HYP portfolio.

The Share News board is used for the discussion of broader issues related to the stock and also avoids posters taking HYP discussions off-topic.

I think tremendous credit should be given here, as I think it's the first time that I've read such a clear explanation of the intent from someone who's not involved with moderation.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Thank you for the thank you Itsallaguess.

Well that seems to be the theory of it, though in practice it tends to break down, as upon seeing an item of news, annual results, a report or update posted on the HYP Practical board, "all and sundry" tend to then be drawn in to comment on all aspects, rather than just the dividend or matters more strictly pertaining to their HYP. Thus the threads on the HYP Practical board then broaden out into all sorts of other aspects. That's why I now try and make any broader comments on this board.

Dod101
Lemon Quarter

Postby Dod101 » May 17th, 2019, 10:17 am

richfool wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
richfool wrote:

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Thank you for the thank you Itsallaguess.

Well that seems to be the theory of it, though in practice it tends to break down, as upon seeing an item of news, annual results, a report or update posted on the HYP Practical board, "all and sundry" tend to then be drawn in to comment on all aspects, rather than just the dividend or matters more strictly pertaining to their HYP. Thus the threads on the HYP Practical board then broaden out into all sorts of other aspects. That's why I now try and make any broader comments on this board.

And therein lies the problem. The difference is all too subtle for a chap like me and apparently many others. However I daresay if it keeps most happy.........

Dod

monabri
Lemon Quarter

Postby monabri » May 17th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Dod101 wrote:And therein lies the problem. The difference is all too subtle for a chap like me and apparently many others. However I daresay if it keeps most happy.........

Dod

The subtlety eludes me as well. In addition, I feel sorry for idpickering as it must surely have increased the "voluntary work" level.

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”