Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

International Distributions Services PLC (IDS)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
idpickering
The full Lemon

International Distributions Services PLC (IDS)

Postby idpickering » May 22nd, 2019, 7:33 am

idpickering
The full Lemon

Re: International Distributions Services PLC (IDS)

Postby idpickering » May 23rd, 2019, 7:45 am

This from TMF penned by Paul Summers;

Royal Mail slashes its dividend by 40% and shares jump. Time to pile in?

To say that FTSE 250 member Royal Mail (LSE: RMG) has failed to deliver for investors in recent times is putting it mildly.

At the close of play yesterday, the shares were priced at just over 211p a pop — almost 62% lower than where they were exactly one year ago.

Today, however, they’re recovering strongly as investors react to the company’s proposed new strategy and its results for the full year.

https://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2019/0 ... o-pile-in/

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 8th, 2019, 8:12 am

Royal Mail seeks injunction - CWU ballot

https://www.investegate.co.uk/royal-mai ... 00037674S/

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » November 21st, 2019, 8:00 am

RMG HALF YEAR REPORT

https://www.londonstockexchange.com/exc ... 16895.html

Surprisingly they only reduced the interim dividend from 8p to 7.5p.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 6th, 2020, 7:12 am

Nine Month 2019-20 Trading Update

Rico Back, Group Chief Executive Officer, Royal Mail plc, said:

"We had a busy Christmas season, which coincided with a General Election for the first time in almost a century. We achieved a high quality service for customers across the UK due to additional investment and, more importantly, the commitment and dedication of our people - I thank them for all their efforts.

"Overall, our recent trading performance has been broadly in line with our expectations. We confirm adjusted Group operating profit is expected to be £300-340 million (before IFRS 16) for 2019-20.

"We are disappointed that the CWU has issued a timeline for a ballot of its members for industrial action. We stand ready to invest £1.8 billion to modernise and grow in the UK. We want to reach agreement with CWU; but we cannot afford to delay this essential transformation any longer. So we are proceeding with key national trials and local initiatives, to improve our customer offering and grow the business, whilst maintaining good quality jobs and delivering a sustainable Universal Service."

https://www.investegate.co.uk/royal-mai ... 00051251C/

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » February 6th, 2020, 9:34 am

idpickering wrote:Nine Month 2019-20 Trading Update

"We had a busy Christmas season, which coincided with a General Election for the first time in almost a century. We achieved a high quality service for customers across the UK due to additional investment and, more importantly, the commitment and dedication of our people - I thank them for all their efforts.

"Overall, our recent trading performance has been broadly in line with our expectations. We confirm adjusted Group operating profit is expected to be £300-340 million (before IFRS 16) for 2019-20.

"We are disappointed that the CWU has issued a timeline for a ballot of its members for industrial action. We stand ready to invest £1.8 billion to modernise and grow in the UK. We want to reach agreement with CWU; but we cannot afford to delay this essential transformation any longer. So we are proceeding with key national trials and local initiatives, to improve our customer offering and grow the business, whilst maintaining good quality jobs and delivering a sustainable Universal Service."

Market unhappy, 9% down.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 6th, 2020, 9:46 am

Wizard wrote:
idpickering wrote:Nine Month 2019-20 Trading Update

Market unhappy, 9% down.

I’m glad I sold out of these some time ago. iMB yesterday was bad enough!
Anyone tempted to buy Royal Mail Group shares here?

Ian.

blobby
2 Lemon pips

Postby blobby » February 6th, 2020, 10:12 am

I think the problem in the update are in the following section which is at the bottom:

2020-21

The outlook for 2020-21 is challenging. The Q3 run rate for addressed letter volumes (excluding elections) has not shown the expected level of recovery. This, coupled with the ongoing uncertain business environment, means that we now expect a 1 percentage point increase in the decline, to 7-9% for 2020-21.

Further, the ongoing industrial relations environment and delays to the delivery of our transformation plan, when combined with continuing economic uncertainty, increases the likelihood that UKPIL will be loss making in 2020-21. Unless we are able to make significant progress in delivering our transformation plan, our ability to meet the year 3 targets of our Journey 2024 plan will be compromised.

This is disappointing, and I'm sure the message is for the workforce as much as the shareholders. UKPIL is 75% of the business (the rest which is in the rest of the world seems to be doing very well)

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 27th, 2020, 8:11 am

https://www.londonstockexchange.com/exc ... 80606.html

Summary:

· Continue to expect FY2019-20 Group adjusted operating profit (before IFRS 16) of £300 million - £340 million.

· Strong liquidity (currently above £800 million in cash plus £925 million RCF) and limited financial debt (pre-IFRS16).

· Significant uncertainty going forward, but UKPIL expected to be materially loss making in FY2020-21 and GLS profitability significantly reduced.

· To preserve cash the Board intends not to propose a final dividend.

· Previously highlighted delays to our UKPIL transformation plan, when combined with uncertainty around the length and impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, mean it will now take longer to achieve the targets laid out in our Journey 2024 plan.

· Board has suspended guidance for 2020-21 and beyond.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » December 23rd, 2020, 9:14 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55406135

Royal Mail has agreed what unions have called a "landmark" deal to settle a long-running dispute over pay and conditions.
Union members will vote on a 2.7% pay increase for this year, a 1% increase next year and a shorter working week.
The Communication Workers Union called it an "excellent" deal, marking the end of an "adversarial" two-year dispute.
Under the agreement, Royal Mail will be able to prioritise investment in its fast-growing parcels division.
It will also allow Royal Mail to modernise the business with investment in more automation. This will include replacing the handwritten signing-in sheets at sorting sites with swipe-and-scan technology.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » December 23rd, 2020, 10:13 am

idpickering wrote:I’m glad I sold out of these some time ago. iMB yesterday was bad enough!

Ian.

Shares up about 85% since 6th February, so with the benefit of 20:20 hindsight it would have been a great buy then. I did not buy, but I did not sell, so very happy to see the recovery in the share price over recent months. Of course whether anyone selling did the right thing or not will very much depend on what they bought with the proceeds.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 23rd, 2020, 11:10 am

Wizard wrote:
idpickering wrote:I’m glad I sold out of these some time ago. iMB yesterday was bad enough!

Ian.

Shares up about 85% since 6th February, so with the benefit of 20:20 hindsight it would have been a great buy then. I did not buy, but I did not sell, so very happy to see the recovery in the share price over recent months. Of course whether anyone selling did the right thing or not will very much depend on what they bought with the proceeds.

I really do not agree with this oft quoted comment. Suppose they bought a new car or a pressie for the wife with the proceeds? Either of these could have been 'the right thing'. As you say, had they held on they could have had an 85% uplift but that to me is as far as it goes.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 23rd, 2020, 11:37 am

Dod101 wrote:
Wizard wrote:

Ian.

I really do not agree with this oft quoted comment. Suppose they bought a new car or a pressie for the wife with the proceeds? Either of these could have been 'the right thing'. As you say, had they held on they could have had an 85% uplift but that to me is as far as it goes.

Dod

Thanks for your input Dod. I agree with you. I was ignoring W’s baiting. I can’t tell the future, and I doubt he can either.

Ian.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » December 23rd, 2020, 12:17 pm

idpickering wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
Wizard wrote:Shares up about 85% since 6th February, so with the benefit of 20:20 hindsight it would have been a great buy then. I did not buy, but I did not sell, so very happy to see the recovery in the share price over recent months. Of course whether anyone selling did the right thing or not will very much depend on what they bought with the proceeds.

Dod

Thanks for your input Dod. I agree with you. I was ignoring W’s baiting. I can’t tell the future, and I doubt he can either.

Ian.

Baiting? No, statements of fact. As you don't track perfoemance there is no way of checking whether it was a good sale, even if I knew when you sold or what you did with the proceeds.

Anyway, I wish you as merry a Christmas as Covid19 allows.
Moderator Message:
Post edited to remove personal comments. As an aside, it's Christmas: let's chill. In any trade, one party always does better as a result, and we all know that, and willingly enter into those trades. So point-scoring (even if it is going on, which is debatable) is pointless, if you'll pardon the pun. -- MDW1954

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » December 23rd, 2020, 12:18 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Wizard wrote:

Ian.

Dod

Sorry Dod, but your comment is a bit too cryptic for me. Can you expand on what you do not agree with?

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 30th, 2021, 7:18 am

Pre-Close Announcement and GLS Business Update

Trading has been broadly in line with the update published on 10 March. Group adjusted operating profit for FY2020-21 is still expected to be around £700 million.

Martin Seidenberg (CEO GLS) and Thorsten Pruin (CFO GLS), will provide a business update at 14:30 BST today, outlining medium term targets for the GLS business. This includes a focus on International and B2C as key growth opportunities, leveraging the strength of the GLS network and business model. From FY2019-20 to FY2024-25, GLS expects to grow revenue at around 12% CAGR (from €3,614 million in FY2019-20), more than double operating profit to €500 million and generate €1 billion of free cash flow1. Capex over the period is expected to remain in the range of 3-4% of revenue.

For FY2020-21, GLS adjusted operating profit is expected to be around £350 million (€390 million) and adjusted operating profit margin c. 8.7%.

An update on Royal Mail in the UK will be provided by Simon Thompson alongside FY2020-21 results on 20 May.

The Board has reviewed the performance of the Group during the past year and concluded that it is appropriate to pay a one-off final dividend of 10p per share in respect of FY2020-21, payable on 6 September 2021 to shareholders on the register at 30 July 2021, subject to approval at the 2021 AGM. The Board expects to announce a new dividend policy for the Group with FY2020-21 results on 20 May.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/royal-mai ... 00078745T/

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » September 23rd, 2021, 7:14 am

Trading Update

· Revenue: Increased by 7.2% year on year and by 12.1% vs. the same period in 2019 ;

· Domestic parcel revenue: Grew by 4.1% year on year and by 44.5% vs. the same period in 2019;

· Domestic parcel volume: Decreased by 5% year on year, but grew 34% vs. the same period in 2019;

· Total parcel revenue: Grew by 0.1% year on year and by 33.3% vs. the same period in 2019;

· Total parcel volumes: Decreased by 12% year on year but grew by 18% vs. same period in 2019;

· Total letter revenue: Increased by 18.3% year on year and declined by 7.3% vs. the same period in 2019.

· Addressed letter volumes (excluding elections): Increased by 13% year on year and declined by 19% vs. the same period in 2019 ;

GLS

· Revenue: Increased 9.3% year on year and by 30.5% vs. the same period in 2019.

· Volume: Increased by 9% year on year and by 30% vs. the same period in 2019.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/royal-mai ... 00066796M/

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » October 8th, 2021, 7:08 am

ROYAL MAIL plc (RMG.L): GLS AGREES TO ACQUIRE ROSENAU TRANSPORT IN CANADA TO COMPLETE COVERAGE OF CANADIAN MARKET

Royal Mail plc (RMG.L) announces that its subsidiary, General Logistics Systems (GLS), has agreed to acquire Canadian logistics company Mid-Nite Sun Transportation Ltd (the 'Acquisition') one of the largest independent freight carriers in Western Canada that operates as 'Rosenau Transport'. The shareholders of Mid-Nite Sun Transportation Ltd are (via holding companies) members of the Rosenau family, the Rosenau Transport management team and their families.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/royal-mai ... 00024292O/

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 16th, 2022, 4:50 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... ne-button/

"Royal Mail staff are demanding an extra £1,500-a-year for staff to push one button on a parcels sorting machine.

Union leaders are understood to want a “jam buster allowance” for their members being willing to press a machine reset button – and avoid the need to call out a skilled engineer even when one parcel is just slightly askew."

"Talks to resolve just one issue, such as the “jam buster allowance”, take at least 30 days. It is understood that the company has offered staff an extra £28.50 per week if they are willing to reset automatic parcel sorting machines themselves – equivalent to nearly £1,500 extra annually."

Pretty much an uninvestable company I'd say!

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » July 17th, 2022, 9:40 am

monabri wrote:Pretty much an uninvestable company I'd say!

I agree, from an operational point of view and the presence of a unionised workforce with ridiculous working practices like this. The employee cost alone is so large that a significant inflationary wage rise could pretty much wipe out profit. This is why the 50% gross margin reduces to a 5% or less operating margin even in good times. However, it’s not without value as an investment since it trades at a significant discount to TBV. You’re currently getting £6.7bn of net fixed assets for a market cap of £2.6bn.

All the best, Si

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”