Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Synthomer (SYNT)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
Lootman
The full Lemon

Synthomer (SYNT)

Postby Lootman » July 16th, 2019, 5:40 pm

A bit obscure for some, perhaps, but Synthomer has issued nil-paid rights. I believe this is to help fund the acquisition of another chemicals company in the United States.

SYNT has yielded as much as 6% in the past, yields a little under 4% now, and is in the FTSE-250.

I recall TJH used to hold this. Anyone else? His previous commentary:

tjh290633 wrote:I recall looking for a replacement for ICI in the Chemicals sector when they were taken over and, finding none, looked lower down the valuations, to find Yule Catto (now Synthomer) yielding over 6%. This was early in 2008 and I bought at 153p, then again later in the year at 82p. Then they decided to stop paying dividends (it being that time) and the price fell to about 40p before rebounding. I sold my usual 25% when they went overweight in October 2009 at 147p, and then in September 2010 I got rid of the rest at 240p. That gave me an IRR of almost 30%, so not unsatisfactory. The dividend had been reinstated, but the yield was about 1.8%, so it was time to bid farewell.

TJH

Current price is 342p.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Re: Synthomer (SYNT)

Postby Bouleversee » July 17th, 2019, 4:54 pm

Lootman wrote:A bit obscure for some, perhaps, but Synthomer has issued nil-paid rights. I believe this is to help fund the acquisition of another chemicals company in the United States.

SYNT has yielded as much as 6% in the past, yields a little under 4% now, and is in the FTSE-250.

I recall TJH used to hold this. Anyone else? His previous commentary:

tjh290633 wrote:I recall looking for a replacement for ICI in the Chemicals sector when they were taken over and, finding none, looked lower down the valuations, to find Yule Catto (now Synthomer) yielding over 6%. This was early in 2008 and I bought at 153p, then again later in the year at 82p. Then they decided to stop paying dividends (it being that time) and the price fell to about 40p before rebounding. I sold my usual 25% when they went overweight in October 2009 at 147p, and then in September 2010 I got rid of the rest at 240p. That gave me an IRR of almost 30%, so not unsatisfactory. The dividend had been reinstated, but the yield was about 1.8%, so it was time to bid farewell.

TJH

Current price is 342p.

I quite like obscure. Could be very interesting. I seem to remember a very positive review in The Times recently but I only had time to glance at it (personal issues taking too much of my time at the moment). I see they have had pretty good and regular dividend increases in recent years and just over 4% (as of today's price) is fine by me so long as the trajectory of the s.p. is up rather than down. What was the reason for the big drop last year and have they now got over whatever problem that was? New acquisitions can make a very positive difference (viz those of VCP which has been a real moneyspinner for me so far) or can be disastrous, as we all know. What do you know about OMNOVA.

Having now received my share of the proceeds from the takeover of RPC, I now have over £60k sitting doing nothing in my ISA and need to find homes for it so would be equally interested in views on whether this is a recovery situation or a continuation of a downward descent. I can do without another CLLN or IRV but another VCP, FSJ, Greggs or WH Smith would be very nice. I toyed with topping up my Burberry which IIRC is up over 500% on my acquisition price after the increases of the past couple of days (unfortunately on only a very small holding which was a spin off from something else; doubtless TJH will tell me what in 5 secs.) but then I saw a picture in The Times of one of the creations of their new designer and it was so ghastly I thought perhaps not.

I do intend to buy a global IT when I can find the time to look into them and decide which one but it is still nice to have the odd shooting star that does something interesting if one can find one.

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » July 18th, 2019, 1:43 pm

I recall TJH used to hold this. Anyone else?

I have held since Jan 1985 -- then Arrow Chemicals > Reabrook Hldgs > Yule Catto > Synt.
Adding at random points
Any records are chaotic and not of any use to any here.
So why post?
Because it seems to give an opportunity to speak for that part of the community who are inept and simple and yet consistently frugal so that we create amounts of savings that need to put to use. This leads us to websites like TLF where we hope to glean some information for guidance.
I am taking up the rights but that's because I can't really see what better to do with idle cash.
Risky? I think so because what I see as 'shorters' have not yet focussed on them and they likely will at some point - not much I can do about that. But maybe SYNT will just carry on paying me the divs...

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 18th, 2019, 7:04 pm

50 years ago I joined a company where a colleague expressed an interest in Yule Catto. At that time my interests lay in collective investments. It was only when ICI was taken over that I looked for a replacement in the chemicals sector, and YULC popped up into view.

TJH

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”