Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Diageo (DGE)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Re: Diageo (DGE)

Postby BullDog » November 14th, 2023, 1:08 pm

simoan wrote:
dubre wrote:Is there a widespread trend away from alcoholic drinks, spirits in particular?

Oh come on, really? It's the laziest thing ever to extrapolate what is happening in this silly little island to the rest of the world. The idea that everyone is going to stop drinking alcohol (something mankind has been doing since, like, forever) is silly. The idea that increasing wealth within the middle classes of some huge developing countries will not be attracted to drinking premium branded spirits is the reason for holding companies like Diageo. If you believe that won't happen, then don't.

And even if people do stop drinking alcoholic beverages, I'm sure Diageo are more than competent at making flavoured water. Which is what non alcoholic drinks actually are, in the main. I mean, WTF is alcohol free gin if it's not flavoured water? I struggle to think how an alcohol free "spirit" can exist. But they do and apparently, some people pay good money for it.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » November 14th, 2023, 1:58 pm

BullDog wrote:
simoan wrote:Oh come on, really? It's the laziest thing ever to extrapolate what is happening in this silly little island to the rest of the world. The idea that everyone is going to stop drinking alcohol (something mankind has been doing since, like, forever) is silly. The idea that increasing wealth within the middle classes of some huge developing countries will not be attracted to drinking premium branded spirits is the reason for holding companies like Diageo. If you believe that won't happen, then don't.

And even if people do stop drinking alcoholic beverages, I'm sure Diageo are more than competent at making flavoured water. Which is what non alcoholic drinks actually are, in the main. I mean, WTF is alcohol free gin if it's not flavoured water? I struggle to think how an alcohol free "spirit" can exist. But they do and apparently, some people pay good money for it.

The main point for me is, whether a spirit contains alcohol or not is not directly relevant because the strength of the brands means that Diageo will be at the forefront regardless. OK, there's been a blip, but a far better investor than me once stated that in the short-term the market is a voting machine, but in the long run it's a weighing machine. I was staggered to see the voting on Friday given the problem was due to a single region, so much so I bought some DGE whilst sat at the departure gate at Stansted!

BTW I just realised this is on Company News so I will stop commenting now - wrong thread!

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » December 12th, 2023, 11:51 am

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/1 ... lant-plan/

"An Bord Pleanála has given the green light to drinks giant, Diageo, to construct its planned €200m brewery for Newbridge, Co Kildare. With the appeals board granting planning permission to the project, the new brewery for Littleconnell is to provide a major boost to the Kildare area of up to 1,000 jobs during the 20 month construction period and will lead to the creation of a further 70 jobs when operational. The new facility, which will operate 24 hours a day 365 days a year, is to brew lagers and ales including Rockshore, Harp, Hop House 13, Smithwick's, Kilkenny and Carlsberg."

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » December 14th, 2023, 4:04 pm

Mr Train ( FGT) has apparently been buying a top up in Diageo.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mar ... gover.html

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 16th, 2024, 4:09 pm

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... es/7992023

"Diageo announces that Sean Combs and Diageo have now agreed to resolve all disputes between them. Mr. Combs has withdrawn all of his allegations about Diageo and will voluntarily dismiss his lawsuits against Diageo with prejudice. Diageo and Mr. Combs have no ongoing business relationship, either with respect to Cîroc vodka or DeLeón tequila, which Diageo now solely owns."

That's the "singer" ( :roll: ) formally and formerly known as Puff Daddy...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... est-rates/

" Diddy settles racism dispute with drinks giant Diageo - latest updates - The US rapper and entrepreneur Sean “Diddy” Combs has resolved a dispute with British spirits giant Diageo after accusing it of racism and deliberately favouring brands owned by George Clooney and Ryan Reynolds.
Under the settlement, the artist behind hits such as I’ll Be Missing You withdrew all of his allegations about Diageo."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Combs

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 16th, 2024, 8:38 pm

monabri wrote:https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcement/rns/diageo--dge/diageo-announces-settlement-of-disputes/7992023

"Diageo announces that Sean Combs and Diageo have now agreed to resolve all disputes between them. Mr. Combs has withdrawn all of his allegations about Diageo and will voluntarily dismiss his lawsuits against Diageo with prejudice. Diageo and Mr. Combs have no ongoing business relationship, either with respect to Cîroc vodka or DeLeón tequila, which Diageo now solely owns."

That's the "singer" ( :roll: ) formally and formerly known as Puff Daddy...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... est-rates/

" Diddy settles racism dispute with drinks giant Diageo - latest updates - The US rapper and entrepreneur Sean “Diddy” Combs has resolved a dispute with British spirits giant Diageo after accusing it of racism and deliberately favouring brands owned by George Clooney and Ryan Reynolds.
Under the settlement, the artist behind hits such as I’ll Be Missing You withdrew all of his allegations about Diageo."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Combs

What do they mean by "with prejudice"?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 16th, 2024, 8:51 pm

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 16th, 2024, 9:26 pm

Thanks, xfool. A somewhat different situation but I suppose it means that Diddy won't be abke to change hus mind. I wonder what th^e inducement was..

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 16th, 2024, 9:32 pm

Bouleversee wrote: I suppose it means that Diddy won't be abke to change hus mind. I wonder what th^e inducement was..

I once settled a civil lawsuit and the words "with prejudice" were in the agreement.

It meant that in return for what I got (a six figure settlement) I had to drop any and all other outstanding claims, and could not file future related claims. It signifies closure and a final reckoning.

The agreement also stated that I would never disclose the details of the settlement, so that is all I am going to say!

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 16th, 2024, 9:35 pm

As Puff Daddy sang

#It's All About the Benjamins

( yes..I had to look that song title up)

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 30th, 2024, 6:58 am

Heads up! The DGE CEO is being interviewed on Bloomberg TV at 0830hrs (UK) this morning.

Ian (No holding).

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 30th, 2024, 7:06 am

Interim Results

Diageo delivers strong cash generation and is well positioned for future growth despite challenging first half environment

◦ Reported net sales of $11.0 billion declined 1.4% or $158 million, due to a $167 million unfavourable foreign exchange impact and an organic net sales decline of $67 million or 0.6%, driven by a $310 million or 23% decline in Latin America and Caribbean (LAC).

◦ Excluding the impact of LAC, reported net sales grew $72 million or 0.7%, and organic net sales grew $243 million or 2.5%, driven by Asia Pacific, Africa and Europe, partially offset by a $64 million or 1.5% decline in North America which improved sequentially from the second half of fiscal 23.

◦ The decline in LAC was driven by a strong double-digit net sales growth comparator as well as lower consumption and consumer downtrading due to macroeconomic pressures in the region.

◦ Reported operating profit declined 11.1% to $3.3 billion, and reported operating profit margin contracted 329bps due to lower organic operating margin and a negative impact from exceptional operating items.

◦ Organic operating profit declined by $205 million or 5.4%, of which $234 million was attributable to LAC; organic operating margin contracted 167bps.

◦ Excluding the impact of LAC, organic operating profit grew by $29 million or 0.9%, and organic operating margin contracted 53bps, driven by increased marketing investment.

◦ Net cash flow from operating activities increased by $0.7 billion to $2.1 billion. Free cash flow increased by $0.5 billion to $1.5 billion, driven by disciplined working capital management and the positive impact of lapping one-off cash tax payments from the prior year.

◦ Declared interim dividend increased by 5% to 40.50 cents per share. Completed $0.5 billion of share buybacks as part of the return of capital programme announced on 1 August 2023.

Debra Crew, Chief Executive, said:

The first half of fiscal 24 was challenging for Diageo and our sector, particularly as we lapped strong growth in the prior year and faced an uneven global consumer environment. Excluding LAC, our group organic net sales grew 2.5%, driven by good growth in Europe, Asia Pacific and Africa. While North America delivered sequential improvement in line with our expectations, we are focused on returning to high-quality share growth as consumer behaviour continues to normalise in our largest region.

As previously announced in November 2023, materially weaker performance in LAC, driven by fast-changing consumer sentiment and high inventory levels, significantly impacted total business performance. Having conducted a review of inventory levels and monitored performance in the critical holiday season, we have taken action and have further plans to reduce inventory to more appropriate levels for the current consumer environment in the region by the end of fiscal 24. This is a key priority.

With a strong focus on execution, we delivered an improved free cash flow of $1.5 billion, and our pipeline of productivity initiatives in the first half of fiscal 24 drove $335 million of savings, helping us to sustain investment in brand building. During the half, we returned $0.5 billion to shareholders via share buybacks as part of our commitment to return up to $1.0 billion of capital to shareholders in fiscal 24. We declared an interim dividend increase to 40.50 cents per share, reflecting our commitment to a progressive dividend policy.

Looking ahead to the second half of fiscal 24, despite continued global economic volatility, we expect to deliver improvement in organic net sales and organic operating profit growth at the group level, compared to the first half. While the macro environment will continue to present challenges, I am confident that we remain well-positioned and resilient for the long term. We are diversified by category, price point and region and will continue to invest behind our iconic brands to maintain our position as an industry leader in total beverage alcohol, an attractive sector with a long runway for growth.

And later;

Dividend

The group aims to increase the dividend each year. The decision in respect of the dividend is made with reference to the dividend cover as well as current performance trends, including sales and profit after tax together with cash generation. Diageo targets dividend cover (the ratio of basic earnings per share before exceptional items to dividend per share) within the range of 1.8-2.2 times. For the year ended 30 June 2023, dividend cover was 2.0 times on a re-presented basis. The group will keep future returns of capital, including dividends, under review through the year ending 30 June 2024 to ensure Diageo's capital is allocated in the best way to maximise value for the business and its stakeholders.

An interim dividend of 40.50 cents per share will be paid to holders of ordinary shares and US ADRs on register as of 1 March 2024. The ex-dividend date is 29 February 2024. This represents an increase of 5% on last year's interim dividend. The interim dividend will be paid to holders of ordinary shares and US ADRs on 17 April 2024. Holders of ordinary shares will receive their dividends in sterling unless they elect to receive their dividends in US dollars by 15 March 2024. The dividend per share in pence to be paid to ordinary shareholders will be announced approximately two weeks prior to the payment date and will be determined by the actual foreign exchange rates achieved by Diageo buying forward contracts, entered into during the three days preceding the announcement. A dividend reinvestment plan is available to holders of ordinary shares in respect of the interim dividend and the plan notice date is 15 March 2024.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... ts/8011679

Ian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 30th, 2024, 7:17 am

These are not very inspiring results and I cannot see the market being very impressed. For various reasons profits are down almost across the board.

The comparatively new CEO appears to have nothing to say about improving the situation except reducing inventory in Latin America.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 30th, 2024, 8:03 am

Dod101 wrote:These are not very inspiring results and I cannot see the market being very impressed. For various reasons profits are down almost across the board.

The comparatively new CEO appears to have nothing to say about improving the situation except reducing inventory in Latin America.

Dod

You're right Dod. DGE are down 3% on opening in UK today.

Ian.

KnightOfSpring
Lemon Pip

Postby KnightOfSpring » January 30th, 2024, 8:18 am

Dod101 wrote:These are not very inspiring results and I cannot see the market being very impressed. For various reasons profits are down almost across the board.

Dod

Just listening to the webcast (NB this is not the analyst meeting,really a stand alone presentation that is usually before the Q+A). They do have a 5 point plan in Latin America to improve things.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » January 30th, 2024, 12:27 pm

Dod

I don’t think there’s anything that wasn’t expected following the trading update in these results tbh. Beneath all the headlines, the most worrying aspect for me is that even by their own measures Net Debt/EBITDA has increased from 2.5 to 2.9 which is getting a bit close to accepted norm of 3x being a bit much. I’m sure their lenders are fairly relaxed given the continuing strong free cash flow, but if the ratio gets much worse any future bond issuance may need to have higher coupons if they are not careful.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 30th, 2024, 2:08 pm

Diageo plc publishes recast USD financials

As announced on 1 August 2023 with its Preliminary Results for the financial year ended 30 June 2023, in line with reporting requirements the functional currency of Diageo plc has changed from sterling to US dollars starting 1 July 2023 - with this change being applied prospectively. This is because the group's share of net sales and expenses in the US and other countries whose currencies correlate closely with the US dollar has been increasing over the years, and that trend is expected to continue in line with the group's strategic focus.

Diageo has also decided to change its presentation currency from sterling to US dollars with effect from 1 July 2023, applied retrospectively, as it believes that this change will provide better alignment of the reporting of performance with its business exposures.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... s-/8013094

Ian.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 30th, 2024, 7:53 pm

idpickering wrote:

Dod

You're right Dod. DGE are down 3% on opening in UK today.

Ian.

Closed 18.5p (0.65%) up on the day at 2860p (having reached 2925p)

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 30th, 2024, 8:03 pm

idpickering wrote:Diageo plc publishes recast USD financials

As announced on 1 August 2023 with its Preliminary Results for the financial year ended 30 June 2023, in line with reporting requirements the functional currency of Diageo plc has changed from sterling to US dollars starting 1 July 2023 - with this change being applied prospectively. This is because the group's share of net sales and expenses in the US and other countries whose currencies correlate closely with the US dollar has been increasing over the years, and that trend is expected to continue in line with the group's strategic focus.

Diageo has also decided to change its presentation currency from sterling to US dollars with effect from 1 July 2023, applied retrospectively, as it believes that this change will provide better alignment of the reporting of performance with its business exposures.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... s-/8013094

Ian.

Quite ok with that! I think it would be beneficial long term to have dividends based on a stronger currency than Sterling.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 30th, 2024, 8:14 pm

I hate to say it but it is what appears in my bank that matters to me and translating USDollars to sterling will have the same effect whether it is done in the books of Diageo or externally.

I understand Diageo’s point though and wonder why Unilever does not do the same. Most emerging market currencies are linked to the US Dollar.

Dod

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”