Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Sophos (SOPH)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Sophos (SOPH)

Postby Clitheroekid » October 18th, 2019, 12:33 am

Are there any other SOPH shareholders here? A search doesn't reveal one mention of the company.

I bought them in July 2018 for about 460 after they dropped sharply following (I think) a profit warning. I was hoping they would rebound for a quick profit, but although they did a bit I was greedy and held on for more, only to witness them slowly sink to around 300. I put them into the `long term investment' box, and by last week they'd made a gradual recovery to around 425, so I was reasonably happy.

But on Monday an agreed bid at around 583 was received, which was very gratifying. The decision I now face is whether to sell in the market or not. I'm always conscious in such situations of the possibility of a rival bid, but this one seems pretty sewn up, and it's noticeable that the price hasn't moved above the offer price, so a rival bid seems to be completely discounted by the market. In fact, as the bid is in dollars, the price has dropped back slightly, due to the Brexit bounce in sterling.

So I'm more or less decided to sell (though hoping that sterling will weaken again for a while before doing so) but I just wondered if any other LF's were SOPH holders, and, if so, what they were doing.

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Re: Sophos (SOPH)

Postby CryptoPlankton » October 18th, 2019, 2:03 pm

Not a holder (one I annoyingly failed to snap up despite thinking it looked a good bet!), but a commentator in the Times (read via Moneyweek) says shareholders should be wary of hanging on "in the hope of a counterbid". The rationale for this is that the deal is backed by Sophos's founders and its biggest shareholder - and Thoma Bravo already owns their biggest competitor so "it's hard to see other funds wanting to lock horns with this powerful suitor".

HTH

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Sophos (SOPH)

Postby PinkDalek » October 18th, 2019, 2:26 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:Are there any other SOPH shareholders here? A search doesn't reveal one mention of the company. ...

I doubt it will get you far but there's a lengthy thread at Share Ideas which you are unlikely to find using the internal search (due to reasons explained at the Biscuit Bar).

Investing in software and IT, e.g. Softcat, Sophos, Saas
viewtopic.php?t=18030

The best way to find such threads is to use site:https://www.lemonfool.co.uk "sophos" via Google.

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”