Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Now that's what I call value

Family, children, advice, schooling, finance for children, all things kids.
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Now that's what I call value

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 22nd, 2021, 10:46 pm

Today I received an email from my daughters Headmistress.

I've copied part of it below.

I felt this was a headmistress who has completely grasped all the needs of her community.

Remote Learning

Well done to all of our students who are working hard to keep on top of their schooling. Children should be logged on between 9.00am and 3.00pm and following their daily timetable in order that they are accessing work from their teachers for the five hourly periods each day. The same timings of the school day are being used so they still get a 15 minute morning break and a 30 minute lunchbreak.

I have been made aware this week that some of our particularly conscientious students are spending disproportionate amounts of time on their school work. They should not be doing more during lockdown than they would have done last term when they were physically attending school. It is difficult for teachers to gauge how much work to give when they are unable to assess reactions from facial expressions/body language etc. During live lessons teachers will begin to ask students how they are finding the pace and quantity of work. Our job as educators is to inspire a love of learning and we know that overwhelmed students cannot be happy or effective learners.

With that in mind I have today asked all teachers not to set homework for students in Years 7, 8 and 9 and to only set minimal homework for students in Years 10 and 11. We know that the isolating experience of being at home, the lack of exercise and being stuck in front of a screen all day can be really challenging.

Let us hope that the national lockdown and the roll-out of the vaccination programme mean that it is not too long before we are able to physically welcome all your children back into school. If this latest lockdown has taught us anything it is that schooling is a physical and social as well as an intellectual experience.

I think she's got it bang on the mark and good for her and the community she supports and leads.

I found that one little email positive from any angle I looked at it. But that's just me.

AiY

Return to “Family Matters”