Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

1 in 9 teens missing meals because of poverty

Family, children, advice, schooling, finance for children, all things kids.
CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Re: 1 in 9 teens missing meals because of poverty

Postby CliffEdge » December 11th, 2023, 7:01 pm

Most single mothers do not possess a tin opener.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 11th, 2023, 7:14 pm

stevensfo wrote:The French are not as squeamish as the Brits and don't bother to disguise their food. e.g. Brits smothering anything from the sea in bleedin' breadcrumbs and batter! I hate that!! Thus it was, the only ever time my wife asked me to go to McDonalds was after our eldest was born in France and they served her brain for lunch.

Apparently it looked exactly like... a brain! And it wobbled! I didn't actually see it, and I'm glad I didn't, but given that she is as hard as nails, grew up on a small farm and dissected rats in the lab, it must have had quite an impact on her!

She only remembers the brain being taken away by a guy with a hump called 'Igor' who seemed very happy. 8-)

I cooked brains a few times in my impoverished youth. My local butcher would give me them for free since he could not sell them. Sometimes he would give me an entire pig's head, which has a few edible parts (brains, tongue, cheeks etc.)

Anyway brains taste OK. it is a subtle flavour. The problem is the texture. Tilt the plate slightly and they will slide off the plate.

And most normal methods of cooking them destroy them and just yield a mush. You can poach them in a muslin bag, or steam them, I found.

I feel sure that the curry houses on Brick Lane still serve brain curry.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » December 28th, 2023, 9:38 pm

kempiejon wrote:My father and his parents used to talk of eating while poor, having a starter of Yorkshire pudding with Sunday roasts and bugger all meat

My Yorkshire born-and-bred paternal grandmother had regular Sunday lunch with my parents, and regularly expressed her surprise that Yorkshire pud wasn't served first with jam. She said that when she was young, it was to take the edge of hunger so that the following miserable portions of meat were less noticeable.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 28th, 2023, 9:44 pm

stewamax wrote:
kempiejon wrote:My father and his parents used to talk of eating while poor, having a starter of Yorkshire pudding with Sunday roasts and bugger all meat

My Yorkshire born-and-bred paternal grandmother had regular Sunday lunch with my parents, and regularly expressed her surprise that Yorkshire pud wasn't served first with jam. She said that when she was young, it was to take the edge of hunger so that the following miserable portions of meat were less noticeable.

The mix for Yorkshire Pudding is the same as for pancakes. It is just that you bake the former and fry the latter. And pancakes are mostly considered a sweet item rather than savoury.

Stodgy puddings were the solution to poverty back in those days, before there was junk food, fast food and frozen TV dinners.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » January 3rd, 2024, 4:04 pm

Lootman wrote:
stewamax wrote:My Yorkshire born-and-bred paternal grandmother had regular Sunday lunch with my parents, and regularly expressed her surprise that Yorkshire pud wasn't served first with jam. She said that when she was young, it was to take the edge of hunger so that the following miserable portions of meat were less noticeable.

The mix for Yorkshire Pudding is the same as for pancakes. It is just that you bake the former and fry the latter. And pancakes are mostly considered a sweet item rather than savoury.

Stodgy puddings were the solution to poverty back in those days, before there was junk food, fast food and frozen TV dinners.

But up here they are a thicker nix and we add sugar and call them drop scones- I suspect this is how they do them in the USA with bacon and maple syrup rather than thin pancakes/crepes. (Still one of the favourite Sunday breakfasts in our house, though I prefer bacon and poached eggs on toast)

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » January 14th, 2024, 1:21 pm

Charlottesquare wrote:But up here they are a thicker nix and we add sugar and call them drop scones- I suspect this is how they do them in the USA with bacon and maple syrup rather than thin pancakes/crepes. (Still one of the favourite Sunday breakfasts in our house, though I prefer bacon and poached eggs on toast)

Its a tough choice :)

Return to “Family Matters”