Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Steffers0,Anonymous,CryptoPlankton,GrahamPlatt,Walkeia, for Donating to support the site

Growth Focussed Investment Trusts & Funds

General discussions about growth strategies which focus primarily on investing for capital growth
SoBo65

Re: Growth Focussed Investment Trusts & Funds

Postby SoBo65 » October 7th, 2019, 4:35 pm

Dod101 wrote:The trouble with the Conviction 5 is that three of them are firmly in the wealth preservation camp rather than being growth focussed which is what this Board is about.

Independent IT might be worth a look by jonesa1. It is definitely a 'one off' being run by Max Ward and filled with his 'conviction' shares. It is quite volatile but has done well over a long period. Max Ward and the Chairman Douglas McDougall each have a large holding in the trust. If investing for the long term my only concern would be that Ward is getting on a bit and there is no obvious successor that I have heard of.

Dod

I hold this, but got my timing wrong and have currently have a sizeable to loss, but decided to stick with it and have added further. My concern was similar to yours about succession, but took the view that given the Baillie Gifford link (who I value highly), they would come up with the answer.

SoBo65

Postby SoBo65 » October 7th, 2019, 4:41 pm

Just been reading about Blue Whale Growth Fund, Has got off to a good start, backed by Peter Hargreaves with £40m invested. Normally prefer IT’s, only exception so far is Fundsmith, but might make another.

https://bluewhale.co.uk/blue-whales-2nd ... gI7A_D_BwE

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » October 7th, 2019, 7:00 pm

SoBo65 wrote:Just been reading about Blue Whale Growth Fund, Has got off to a good start, backed by Peter Hargreaves with £40m invested. Normally prefer IT’s, only exception so far is Fundsmith, but might make another.

https://bluewhale.co.uk/blue-whales-2nd ... gI7A_D_BwE

I am wary of new products. Whilst I like the name, I do hope this doesn't turn out to be the Damp Squid fund. ;)
Excuse my indulgence.

ReallyVeryFoolish
2 Lemon pips

Postby ReallyVeryFoolish » October 8th, 2019, 11:34 am

I sold out some of my Fundsmith holding (it had grown too top heavy in my portfolio) to invest in both Blue Whale fund and Smithson IT. Not much to choose between them at this stage. But I keep a close eye on those three with a view to rationalise them if I think it worthwhile. I had thought we had seen the best of Fundsmith, but so far, there's little evidence to support that view, as far as I can see anyway.

SoBo65

Postby SoBo65 » October 9th, 2019, 8:36 am

SoBo65 wrote:
jonesa1 wrote:Other than Scottish Mortgage, Smithson Finsbury and Lindsell Train, are there any ITs which hold a concentrated / conviction portfolio? One similar to Lindsell Train Global Equity (without the LTI premium) would be useful.

One that I hold is Manchester and London Investment Trust MNL, does not get much publicity (maybe a low marketing budget!), came to my attention when mentioned in the Daily telegraph a few year back when on a larger discount than now.

A rare bit of media comment:

https://citywire.co.uk/investment-trust ... r/jcarthew

midgesgalore
2 Lemon pips

Postby midgesgalore » October 28th, 2019, 10:59 pm

I bought Baillie Gifford US Growth Trust (USA) at IPO on March 21st, 2018 at 100p / share.
It is 133p to buy today and almost hit 150p earlier this year, so kind of volatile.

Dividends? Think of a round number --> 0

It is a small cap NAV of about £125m
https://www.theaic.co.uk/aic/find-compare-investment-companies?sector=North+America&name=&region=&manager=&country=&objective=&op=Filter&sort=dividend&form_build_id=form-C52kHnADzvTRuCFObBFmSadNe0LROWgD0M110iN5keA&form_token=4GSyxW3PkO4mdEdRGLgkFS0jPuIn-aoiynHUBYpV4Go&form_id=aic_data_search_form

midgesgalore

Return to “Growth Strategies”