Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

Postby Lootman » June 16th, 2022, 1:02 pm

servodude wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:About this stage we always get the " I don't really believe long covid is a real thing" brigade.

Not quite as extreme as the "I don't believe Covid is a real thing" or the "herd immunity will be reached by Autumn (2020)" brigade so I suppose we are making progress.

Look... there WAS immunity IN the herd; ergo there was "herd immunity" :roll:

Let's lose the partisan attachments here. Some Lemons exaggerated the risk and some understated them. Not sure anyone got it dead on.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 16th, 2022, 1:11 pm

Lootman wrote:
servodude wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:About this stage we always get the " I don't really believe long covid is a real thing" brigade.

Not quite as extreme as the "I don't believe Covid is a real thing" or the "herd immunity will be reached by Autumn (2020)" brigade so I suppose we are making progress.

Let's lose the partisan attachments here. Some Lemons exaggerated the risk and some understated them. Not sure anyone got it dead on.

That's a point of view. :roll:

Or, to put it another way, some were more wrong than others.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 16th, 2022, 1:27 pm

XFool wrote:
Lootman wrote:
servodude wrote:

Ah yes but who was more wrong than whom is itself a point of view.

One could argue that it made more sense to be wrong "on the safe side". I still hear the odd case of someone who has barely left their home in over 2 years. Were they less wrong? Or just more risk averse?

As far as I have seen, the main determinant of where people stood on this issue was a combination of how much faith they had in medical "experts" (who are paid to be cautious) and how risk averse they are more generally.

So for example my wife works in the field and is more nervous about risk in general than I am. She consistently took more precautions than I did (although was happy to attend our odd garden party back when that was technically illegal). She even had me sleep in another bedroom for a while because she thought I was taking excessive risk, although that didn't last long.

It was always fun on TLF to correctly predict where someone would stand on Covid based on their position on other, often widely unrelated, topics.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 16th, 2022, 1:52 pm

XFool wrote:
Lootman wrote:
servodude wrote:

You know better than to feed the trolls

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » June 16th, 2022, 3:01 pm

Oh dear. I just tested positive.

Feeling slightly under the weather. And cold, which is odd since it is the hottest day of the year so far (until tomorrow). Nothing worse as yet.

The lft "C" line appeared faster and bolder than the "T" line. (Though both clearly present, before someone tells me that's a duff test)

Gryff

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » June 16th, 2022, 3:16 pm

gryffron wrote:Oh dear. I just tested positive.

Feeling slightly under the weather. And cold, which is odd since it is the hottest day of the year so far (until tomorrow). Nothing worse as yet.

The lft "C" line appeared faster and bolder than the "T" line. (Though both clearly present, before someone tells me that's a duff test)

Gryff

May it soon pass.

RC

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 16th, 2022, 3:18 pm

Yep best of luck

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 16th, 2022, 5:28 pm

dealtn wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
Hallucigenia wrote:This is interesting - there's a lot of people not showing positive on lateral flows, even if they probably have it. I think I was probably one last week - SWMBO was positive and had it quite badly, I had similar but milder symptoms - sore throat, tiredness etc - but didn't have a clear positive on any of my tests (although I wasn't testing every day). Not clear whether it's an effect of a primed immune system responding faster or something about omicron biology - less in the nose etc - that makes it somewhat evasive of testing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... te/661242/

This is consistent with my own experience. I've been ill twice now with what I think was Covid yet during both illnesses I returned negative test results throughout.

So there's a possible data point of one, for what it's worth! (Or is it two?)

Quantifying the false negative rate seems near-impossible, I'd have thought.

What makes you think you are more of an expert at identifying Covid than a test? There are plenty of other "nasties" out there to catch with similar symptoms?

What a snitty comment. Uncalled for.

Where do I say I am more expert at it than a test? You seem to be claiming negative results are 100% reliable. Where is your evidence?

(CLarify.)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 16th, 2022, 7:33 pm

servodude wrote:
XFool wrote:
Lootman wrote:
servodude wrote:

You know better than to feed the trolls

We all agree. Knowing who are the trolls is of course a more complex issue.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » June 17th, 2022, 1:31 am

Talking of which, this is a nice article summarising some of what we've learnt about long Covid. It's probably wrong to thing of it as a single "thing", but there's at least three factors at play which suggests why it can present in so many ways.

For some people it's about microclots, and anti-coagulants can make a big difference for them.
For some it's about virus lingering in the body - so long Covid is like an extension of short Covid rather than a different thing.
And for some the immune system stays stimulated instead of idling, leading to chronic inflammation.

https://www.science.org/content/article ... g-theories

More evidence that I had it last week, I seem to have picked up some new parosmias, fortunately just weird rather than "everything tastes disgusting" but it's still not great.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 17th, 2022, 7:15 am

Hallucigenia wrote:

Talking of which, this is a nice article summarising some of what we've learnt about long Covid. It's probably wrong to thing of it as a single "thing", but there's at least three factors at play which suggests why it can present in so many ways.

For some people it's about microclots, and anti-coagulants can make a big difference for them.
For some it's about virus lingering in the body - so long Covid is like an extension of short Covid rather than a different thing.
And for some the immune system stays stimulated instead of idling, leading to chronic inflammation.

https://www.science.org/content/article ... g-theories

More evidence that I had it last week, I seem to have picked up some new parosmias, fortunately just weird rather than "everything tastes disgusting" but it's still not great.

Sorry to hear about that Hal, I know how significant for you any parosmias will be. So which type do you fee you have?

No help to you but I just read that Omicron is less likely to cause long covid than other variants. 4% vs 10%

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-61828335

John

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » June 17th, 2022, 7:53 am

Mike4 wrote:
dealtn wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
Hallucigenia wrote:This is interesting - there's a lot of people not showing positive on lateral flows, even if they probably have it. I think I was probably one last week - SWMBO was positive and had it quite badly, I had similar but milder symptoms - sore throat, tiredness etc - but didn't have a clear positive on any of my tests (although I wasn't testing every day). Not clear whether it's an effect of a primed immune system responding faster or something about omicron biology - less in the nose etc - that makes it somewhat evasive of testing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... te/661242/

This is consistent with my own experience. I've been ill twice now with what I think was Covid yet during both illnesses I returned negative test results throughout.

So there's a possible data point of one, for what it's worth! (Or is it two?)

Quantifying the false negative rate seems near-impossible, I'd have thought.

What makes you think you are more of an expert at identifying Covid than a test? There are plenty of other "nasties" out there to catch with similar symptoms?

What a snitty comment. Uncalled for.

Where do I say I am more expert at it than a test? You seem to be claiming negative results are 100% reliable. Where is your evidence?

(CLarify.)

You claimed you probably had it despite having a negative test. Probably is an imprecise and undefined term, but would be considered more than 50% likely if not extremely close to 100%.

My understanding therefore is you think it more than 50% likely you had Covid. The test result was negative. My question simply reflected that.

I have consistently claimed tests are not 100% accurate, and indeed they return both false positives and false negatives. No-one to my knowledge has ever claimed these error rates are as high as 50% though. I don't think such a stance is particularly controversial.

So my enquiry was/is what would lead one to believe a test is probably wrong, and the alternative result more likely? Why wouldn't such a prognosis be re-tested by an additional test, possibly the next day, for instance?

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » June 20th, 2022, 12:40 am

I also think that I may have had it, despite a negative LF test.

The reasons being:

What ever it was must have been contagious enough for me to have caught it, even though I was still avoiding crowded places and using a face covering in shops, and largely avoided public transport, and similarly wearing a face covering on the odd occasions I did.

The symptoms were quite unlike nearly any cold I can recall, with just a few hours occasional cough, no runny nose, etc., food tasted mostly okay, though tea with one sugar just tasted like it was stewed and had no sugar, but with complete loss of appetite or pangs of hunger, even when I tried skipping several meals. There was also a very slight odd feeling occasionally of, not unsteadiness, but as if on turning my head, it ended up not exactly where I expected! Odd, and difficult to describe, but being also of the very few side effects from both the vaccinations.

Also, at the time Phil Spector for the Zoe study was saying that if you have cold symptoms, the chances were fifty-fifty that it was Covid.

I didn’t have any LF tests to hand, and by the time I thought I ought to test, ordered some tests and had them arrive, it was already a few days after starting symptoms. Also the tests were of the “up the hooter” variety, and there were reports at the time that some people were getting a negative test with those, shortly after a positive PCR test, and suggestions that the nose and throat test might have given a more accurate result.

So I don’t know if I had it, but have reasons to suspect I might, negative tests not withstanding.

(Edited to correct symptoms, after looking up note made at the time.)

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 29th, 2022, 7:34 pm

AMERICA IS SLIDING INTO THE LONG PANDEMIC DEFEAT

The Atlantic

In the face of government inaction, the country’s best chance at keeping the crisis from spiraling relies on everyone to keep caring.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 30th, 2022, 3:12 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwQp3Yc82ak

Latest Zoe video shows UK heading towards highest number of cases ever.

John

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 30th, 2022, 3:37 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Latest Zoe video shows UK heading towards highest number of cases ever.

I must admit I had pretty well abandoned my mask, but I shall resurrect it now.

V8

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 30th, 2022, 3:54 pm

88V8 wrote:I must admit I had pretty well abandoned my mask, but I shall resurrect it now.

V8

Ditto

gadjet
Lemon Pip

Postby gadjet » June 30th, 2022, 5:10 pm

Went to pharmacy today , where we have been instructed always to wear a mask. So wore my mask. Four assistants there plus a pharmacist -none wearing masks. When I commented about it was told "we don't need them now".

Sue

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 30th, 2022, 5:19 pm

gadjet wrote:Went to pharmacy today , where we have been instructed always to wear a mask. So wore my mask. Four assistants there plus a pharmacist -none wearing masks. When I commented about it was told "we don't need them now".

Sue

My local pharmacy still ask you to (and osteopath's office for that matter)
I guess some are more thoughtful than others
(watch THAT last sentence get a response or two) :D

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 30th, 2022, 8:18 pm

pje16 wrote:
gadjet wrote:Went to pharmacy today , where we have been instructed always to wear a mask. So wore my mask. Four assistants there plus a pharmacist -none wearing masks. When I commented about it was told "we don't need them now".

My local pharmacy still ask you to (and osteopath's office for that matter)
I guess some are more thoughtful than others
(watch THAT last sentence get a response or two) :D

Human nature innit... it's like climate change, they don't want to be bothered with it or think about it any more.
And it will be hard for the govt come winter when it becomes apparent that it's not 'all over' having to try and enforce social measures after the notparties.

There are times when an authoritarian govt a la Chinese and an obedient populace is a distinct advantage.

V8

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”