Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Steveam
Lemon Slice

Re: Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

Postby Steveam » August 27th, 2023, 3:32 pm

Pirola - a new variant which seems to need watching. Let’s hope it fizzles out like many other new variants. The concern with this one seems to be the number of (further) mutations on the spike (which may lead to immunity escape) - it’s already been found in multiple countries.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/new-cov ... 44957.html

Best wishes, Steve

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » August 28th, 2023, 11:13 pm

Ashfordian
You are so right

The reactions on here are largely why I only use this site very very rarely now. One of the most irritating things generally was people talking about an "awful death". What do these people think death is usually like?! I can only assume they've not seen or heard much about deaths.

Meanwhile, mum has had another stay in respite care and the tragedy of old age, oh my god, just thinking about that and the geriatric ward....there aren't enough tears for all that.

I was going to sign up for an evening class but I'm unsure because I feel sure we'll be back in mask hell any minute now.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » August 29th, 2023, 2:22 pm

Sunnypad wrote:Ashfordian
You are so right

Other opinions are available!

Sunnypad wrote:The reactions on here are largely why I only use this site very very rarely now.

:?: :?: :?:

Sunnypad wrote:One of the most irritating things generally was people talking about an "awful death".

Where were people talking about an "awful death"? I have no recollection of that. What is the context?

Sunnypad wrote:Meanwhile, mum has had another stay in respite care and the tragedy of old age, oh my god, just thinking about that and the geriatric ward....there aren't enough tears for all that.

Sorry to hear of your travails and the hardship your mother is going through.

Sunnypad wrote:I was going to sign up for an evening class but I'm unsure because I feel sure we'll be back in mask hell any minute now.

Why should that stop you taking an evening class?

Confused.

XFool

Ashfordian
Lemon Slice

Postby Ashfordian » August 29th, 2023, 3:15 pm

XFool wrote:
Sunnypad wrote:Ashfordian
You are so right

Other opinions are available!

XFool

There are now, however only one 'opinion' was allowed 2020/21. I hope those enforcing that 'opinion', including those on this site, now feel shame and embarrassment for the part they played. I doubt they will though, and will just continue with their head in the sand.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » August 29th, 2023, 5:09 pm

Ashfordian wrote:
XFool wrote:Other opinions are available!

XFool

There are now, however only one 'opinion' was allowed 2020/21. I hope those enforcing that 'opinion', including those on this site, now feel shame and embarrassment for the part they played. I doubt they will though, and will just continue with their head in the sand.

What a silly comment. What does "enforced" mean? You mean people disagreeing with you? I also held a different opinion to the majority which was firmly rebutted, I don't remember any enforcement though?

What enforcement do you think people should be ashamed and embarrassed about?

GS

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » August 30th, 2023, 10:00 am

Interesting piece in R4 More or Less today, broadcast 0900h beginning at 6:36, about the death rate amongst the vaccinated/not.
Apparently there has been nonsense promulgated by the anti-vax crowd about the number of deaths post-vaccination.

The actual facts are different, and may be heard here.

V8

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » August 30th, 2023, 10:35 am

88V8 wrote:Interesting piece in R4 More or Less today, broadcast 0900h beginning at 6:36, about the death rate amongst the vaccinated/not.
Apparently there has been nonsense promulgated by the anti-vax crowd about the number of deaths post-vaccination.

It was ever thus.

Whenever anything significant happens, or is happening, you can always rely on humans for two things:

1. Denial that what is happening is happening

2. Rewriting of history, after it has stopped happening, to deny that what happened did happen

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » September 12th, 2023, 10:00 am

Hmm - some interesting in vitro work on BA.2.86, somewhat less immune-evasive than some despite all its mutations, and less infectious in a cell line that expresses ACE2 constitutively, but a lot more infectious in a cell line used as a model for certain lung cells, with TMPRSS2 expression.

https://twitter.com/ShanLuLiu1/status/1 ... 2571592936

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 12th, 2023, 1:58 pm

XFool wrote:
88V8 wrote:Interesting piece in R4 More or Less today, broadcast 0900h beginning at 6:36, about the death rate amongst the vaccinated/not.

It was ever thus.

Whenever anything significant happens, or is happening, you can always rely on humans for two things:

1. Denial that what is happening is happening

2. Rewriting of history, after it has stopped happening, to deny that what happened did happen

3. If you weren't going to get the vaccine you're probably not very good at maths either :(

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » September 22nd, 2023, 8:30 pm

I recently received a Covid invitation from my GP:

Dear Mr …,
We strongly recommended that you have a COVID booster vaccine as soon as possible this autumn due to a new strain called Pirola. Book or call your GP Practice.

I booked an appointment for tomorrow (23-Sept). Today I phoned the vaccination centre to check whether the vaccine covered the Pirola strain (specifically mentioned in the invitation above) and was told no! The “new” vaccine should be available from 2-Oct.

They were very apologetic and re-scheduled my appointment without problem but I feel there’s a definite right hand left hand issue going on and I could easily have been misled.

Be aware!!!

Best wishes,

Steve

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 23rd, 2023, 8:39 am

Steveam wrote:I recently received a Covid invitation from my GP:

Dear Mr …,
We strongly recommended that you have a COVID booster vaccine as soon as possible this autumn due to a new strain called Pirola. Book or call your GP Practice.

I booked an appointment for tomorrow (23-Sept). Today I phoned the vaccination centre to check whether the vaccine covered the Pirola strain (specifically mentioned in the invitation above) and was told no! The “new” vaccine should be available from 2-Oct.

They were very apologetic and re-scheduled my appointment without problem but I feel there’s a definite right hand left hand issue going on and I could easily have been misled.

Be aware!!!

Best wishes,

Steve

AFAIK the is no new vaccine specifically targeting the Pirola strain, the latest batches were designed before Pirola was a factor and were focussed on countering the strain around last year and early this year.

Having said that the booster should confer some added protection against Pirola but since it has so many mutations who really knows.

John

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 23rd, 2023, 8:46 am

redsturgeon wrote:
Steveam wrote:I recently received a Covid invitation from my GP:

Dear Mr …,

Be aware!!!

AFAIK the is no new vaccine specifically targeting the Pirola strain, the latest batches were designed before Pirola was a factor and were focussed on countering the strain around last year and early this year.

Having said that the booster should confer some added protection against Pirola but since it has so many mutations who really knows.

Yes, I have my booster jab in about 90 minutes time, and I was pretty much working on those assumptions.

This is number six and I am seriously considering whether I want any more after this.

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » September 23rd, 2023, 9:15 am

Lootman wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:AFAIK the is no new vaccine specifically targeting the Pirola strain, the latest batches were designed before Pirola was a factor and were focussed on countering the strain around last year and early this year.

Yes, I have my booster jab in about 90 minutes time, and I was pretty much working on those assumptions.

This is number six and I am seriously considering whether I want any more after this.

I’m sure redsturgeon knows more about this than me but I’ve been telling my friends as above and three (different chemists/vaccination centres) have been told that the “new” vaccine (whatever that may mean but the vaccination centre I spoke too accepted that I wanted the Pirola vaccine). At the very least there is confused information being distributed. [Of course they might have thought he’s too dumb to understand the nuances so let’s just fob him off!]

I do hope, Lootman, that you can ask a few questions and come back here with more definitive answers.

Best wishes, Steve

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 23rd, 2023, 9:38 am

Here is some up to date info from the USA

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/view/mode ... f-covid-19

If this is the vaccine being offered then Moderna have demonstrated a response against Pirola even though it would have been developed mainly against previous strains.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 23rd, 2023, 10:56 am

I just got a Covid booster yesterday, in Scotland. It was a Pfizer one, I believe along the lines of this proposal:

The JCVI advice of 30 August 2023 recommends a range of different vaccines for this Winter Programme, including new XBB.1.5 formulations from Pfizer and Moderna. These vaccines are currently awaiting MHRA authorisation. Until the XBB.1.5 and Sanofi VidPrevtyn vaccines are available for deployment in Scotland we will use the Pfizer and Moderna bivalent Original ‘wild-type’ / Omicron BA.4-5 vaccines for all groups aged 12 and over.

https://www.sehd.scot.nhs.uk/cmo/CMO(2023)15.pdf

Scott.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » October 18th, 2023, 4:15 pm

Got my Flu and Covid vaccinations today (Scotland, age 79). The Covid vaccine was Moderna Spikevax XBB.1.5
From the GOV.UK site on 15th September 2023:-
An adapted COVID-19 vaccine from Moderna (Spikevax) that targets the Omicron XBB 1.5 subvariant, has today been authorised by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) after it was found to meet the UK regulator’s standards of safety, quality and effectiveness.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 19th, 2023, 6:39 pm

Science adviser referred to Rishi Sunak as ‘Dr Death’, Covid inquiry hears

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/19/science-adviser-referred-to-rishi-sunak-as-dr-death-covid-inquiry-hears

Comment by Dame Angela McLean in message during meeting was apparently in reference to ‘eat out to help out’ scheme

"The government’s chief scientific adviser sent a secret message calling Rishi Sunak “Dr Death the chancellor” during a meeting attended by both in the Covid crisis, the official inquiry into the pandemic has been told.

Prof Dame Angela McLean, who at the time was the chief scientific adviser to the Ministry of Defence, made the comment in a WhatsApp message to another leading scientist in apparent reference to Sunak’s “eat out to help out” scheme that ran during the summer of 2020.
"

-------
"At another point, McLean asked: “Who is this [expletive deleted]?” to which Edmunds replied: “Every statistic is wrong.”

Asked who this referred to, Edmunds told the inquiry: “I’m pretty sure it’s the next witness.” Due to give evidence after him was Carl Heneghan, a professor of evidence-based medicine at Oxford University who was a critic of several lockdown-related measures.
"
-------

In which case, IMO, a very understandable comment!

Just thought I'd share this snippet with you... :-)

Ashfordian
Lemon Slice

Postby Ashfordian » October 23rd, 2023, 10:42 am

The Covid inquiry has shown how the scientific process was perverted by advisers steeped in groupthink

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/1 ... indicated/

Whether it’s the negative developmental effect on young children, stunning levels of non-Covid excess deaths, a ticking cancer time bomb, waves of mental health issues, the economic ramifications that affect every single one of us, increases in teenage eating disorders, business closures, wasted years – I could go on and on. Millions and millions of lives were disrupted and ruined, including those of the youngest and poorest in our society.

-----

I have little doubt that if a reasoned and fair analysis is ever conducted, the number of life-years lost to lockdown and its consequences will be far greater than those tragically taken by the virus

Everyone who supported or did not question the Covid restrictions is complicit to the long term negative outcomes. If you were foolish (small 'f') enough to be duped by the needless fear spread by those in positions of responsibility, this includes you!

If you still foolishly believe the Covid restrictions were the right thing to have done you are morally bankrupt.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » October 23rd, 2023, 10:46 am

Ashfordian wrote:The Covid inquiry has shown how the scientific process was perverted by advisers steeped in groupthink

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/1 ... indicated/

Whether it’s the negative developmental effect on young children, stunning levels of non-Covid excess deaths, a ticking cancer time bomb, waves of mental health issues, the economic ramifications that affect every single one of us, increases in teenage eating disorders, business closures, wasted years – I could go on and on. Millions and millions of lives were disrupted and ruined, including those of the youngest and poorest in our society.

-----

I have little doubt that if a reasoned and fair analysis is ever conducted, the number of life-years lost to lockdown and its consequences will be far greater than those tragically taken by the virus

Everyone who supported or did not question the Covid restrictions is complicit to the long term negative outcomes. If you were foolish (small 'f') enough to be duped by the needless fear spread by those in positions of responsibility, this includes you!

If you still foolishly believe the Covid restrictions were the right thing to have done you are morally bankrupt.

In your humble opinion.

Ashfordian
Lemon Slice

Postby Ashfordian » October 23rd, 2023, 12:47 pm

XFool wrote:"At another point, McLean asked: “Who is this [expletive deleted]?” to which Edmunds replied: “Every statistic is wrong.”

Asked who this referred to, Edmunds told the inquiry: “I’m pretty sure it’s the next witness.” Due to give evidence after him was Carl Heneghan, a professor of evidence-based medicine at Oxford University who was a critic of several lockdown-related measures.
"

Interesting how they refer to the scientist who called them out on how Covid deaths were categorised and distorting the statistics.

For those who have forgotten, until Heneghan called them out on it, you could have had Covid in April 2020, died from being hit by a bus in June 2020 and you would have been counted as a Covid death . This was the corruption of statistics driving the Governments response during the pandemic. It would be funny if it didn't cost up £400bn+

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”