Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa, for Donating to support the site

Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

Postby Itsallaguess » November 20th, 2020, 2:20 pm

johnhemming wrote:
Using the Dictionaries found on the internet it cannot be controlled because it cannot be stopped from spreading. It can be influenced, however, but it cannot be limited.

When I turn my bath taps on, and the hot and cold water are running, is the bath itself influencing the spread of the water, or is it limiting it?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 20th, 2020, 2:31 pm

servodude wrote:
johnhemming wrote:. It demonstrates that we cannot really control the virus although we can influence the rate of spread.

So your can't really control the virus but you can limit the rate of spread?
what do you think control means?
(as a guy who's been paid for a couple of decades to control stuff, very often limiting the rate is where you start - albeit they're mostly been things that spin, move or blow)

My experience of "a couple of decades" is that someone who is paid to hold a belief is generally the very last person I should be listening to.

I worked in fund management for "a couple of decades". When I did, would you have asked me whether or not to invest in my funds?

Playing the "I'm a professional" card generally does not carry water here or most places elsewhere. You still have to do the hard yards of convincing us that you are right.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » November 20th, 2020, 2:35 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:When I turn my bath taps on, and the hot and cold water are running, is the bath itself influencing the spread of the water, or is it limiting it?

The taps control the water supply and if you leave them on the water will overflow and that will make a mess.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 20th, 2020, 2:40 pm

johnhemming wrote:
johnhemming wrote:
Using the Dictionaries found on the internet it cannot be controlled because it cannot be stopped from spreading. It can be influenced, however, but it cannot be limited.

Itsallaguess wrote:
When I turn my bath taps on, and the hot and cold water are running, is the bath itself influencing the spread of the water, or is it limiting it?

The taps control the water supply and if you leave them on the water will overflow and that will make a mess.

The bath is stopping the water from doing what it wants to do, which is to spread all over my bathroom floor...

Lockdowns and other less restrictive protocols act in a similar way to the bath - they're constructed barriers of different strengths, controlling the virus and stopping it spreading the way it naturally would if they didn't exist....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 20th, 2020, 2:43 pm

johnhemming wrote:The taps control the water supply and if you leave them on the water will overflow and that will make a mess.

Yes. The taps do "control" the water supply. You can use then to either increase or decrease the flow of water! Hence the level of the water in the bath over time.

Of course, with the taps you CAN also easily turn the flow of water off completely. Though what then happens to the water level in the bath depends on other things.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 20th, 2020, 2:50 pm

Lootman wrote:My experience of "a couple of decades" is that someone who is paid to hold a belief is generally the very last person I should be listening to.

But who is paid simply to "hold a belief"?

Ah! People who are paid to sell you things. Got that! :)

Lootman wrote:I worked in fund management for "a couple of decades". When I did, would you have asked me whether or not to invest in my funds?

So, in this respect, you know what you are talking about.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 20th, 2020, 3:23 pm

XFool wrote:
Lootman wrote:My experience of "a couple of decades" is that someone who is paid to hold a belief is generally the very last person I should be listening to.

But who is paid simply to "hold a belief"?

Ah! People who are paid to sell you things. Got that! :)

Lootman wrote:I worked in fund management for "a couple of decades". When I did, would you have asked me whether or not to invest in my funds?

You mean you think I am an expert? Now I am worried :D

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 20th, 2020, 3:34 pm

Lootman wrote:
XFool wrote:

You mean you think I am an expert? Now I am worried :D

Everybody is an expert in something. ;)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 20th, 2020, 4:32 pm

https://jammi.utpjournals.press/doi/abs ... -2020-0030

Studies show 17% of cases are asymptomatic and they are 42% less likely to transmit the infection.

John

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 20th, 2020, 5:02 pm

An interesting story on the BBC site today, showing how easy it is for people at the very top to get spooked by this virus -

South Australia decided to enter a state-wide lockdown based on a lie told by a man with Covid-19 about his link to a pizza shop, police say.

The strict lockdown began on Wednesday after the state detected 36 infections, including its first locally acquired cases since April.

But this would have been avoided if the man had told the truth, that he worked shifts at the shop, officials said.

He said he only went there to buy a pizza.

This misinformation prompted health officials to assume the man had caught the virus during a very brief exposure and that the strain must be a highly contagious one.

"To say I am fuming is an understatement," state Premier Steven Marshall told reporters on Friday.

State officials said they would lift the lockdown on Saturday - three days earlier than planned - after recording only three new cases on Friday.

Police did not identify the man, but said he worked at the Woodville Pizza Bar in Adelaide.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-55011790

One man. One lie....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 20th, 2020, 5:20 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:An interesting story on the BBC site today, showing how easy it is for people at the very top to get spooked by this virus -

...The strict lockdown began on Wednesday after the state detected 36 infections, including its first locally acquired cases since April.

But this would have been avoided if the man had told the truth, that he worked shifts at the shop, officials said.

He said he only went there to buy a pizza.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-55011790

One man. One lie....

I wonder why he didn't want to disclose to the authorities why he was working in the pizza shop...

The same as I wonder why 50% of people in Bradford, Luton, Blackburn, Hackney, Manchester, Nottingham, Peterborough, Birmingham, Leicester, Oldham, and Slough don't want to disclose the names and contact details of their relatives and friends...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55008133

Perhaps the authorities need to understand that due to their past behaviour that not everyone trusts them when they say "contact tracing data won't be used for any other purpose".

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » November 20th, 2020, 5:23 pm

AF62 wrote:Perhaps the authorities need to understand that due to their past behaviour that not everyone trusts them when they say "contact tracing data won't be used for any other purpose".

Its like medical information. At times medical information is used by the state for other purposes. As soon as this happens at all people lose confidence in the confidentiality.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » November 20th, 2020, 5:34 pm

simoan wrote:Thanks for the link. This is a theory I first heard many months ago (i.e. exposure to other coronaviruses gives some protection against Covid) that seems to have disappeared from view since. I've just read on the BBC website that the ONS calculate that 1 in 80 people in England now have coronavirus. Given the length of time this has been going on, and how widespread it has become, it almost seems inconceivable that I (or anyone else for that matter) have not come into contact with the virus at some point in the past 9 months.

As I have mentioned before (many moons ago on this thread) I was ill at the turn of the year with something whereby I had all three of the main symptoms of Covid - Fever, dry cough, loss of smell & taste for several days. And yet, the timescale for it being Covid is wrong, and I'm pretty sure I didn't give it to anyone I know. Maybe it was a different coronavirus (I don't believe it was flu), hence my interest in the article. So whilst I'm here, given the impressive accumulated knowledge of the contributors about such things... Is anyone aware of any other illness that exhibits the main three symptoms of Covid? I'd love to ask my GP but for obvious reasons have not - I don't want to waste his time as he's likely very busy!

All the best, Si

My wife had some symptoms back in early March - felt awful, persistent dry cough. But at that time, most emphasis was on whether people were running a fever - the TV pictures were of travellers and visitors to shopping centres being checked for their temperature. Since my wife didn't have a fever, we don't know for sure if she had it, but in retrospect I am inclined to think she did.

But I didn't catch it from her, and I am classed as vulnerable. Over the years I have always been a sufferer of colds, usually at leat 3 a year on average.

At about that time among people I know of who claim to have had the disease, almost all cases were single occurrences in a family.

That has led me to believe ever since that a significant number of people, me included, perhaps have a natural immunity.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » November 20th, 2020, 5:51 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:That has led me to believe ever since that a significant number of people, me included, perhaps have a natural immunity.

Some colds are coronaviruses and if you catch them it acts like a vaccination against Covid. (much like the original Cowpox)

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » November 20th, 2020, 5:53 pm

Hospital admissions are still in a form of plateau. The government have managed to publish the data from 18/11 and this (going backwards for England is) 1571, 1491, 1560, 1467, 1388

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » November 20th, 2020, 6:35 pm

johnhemming wrote:
Nimrod103 wrote:That has led me to believe ever since that a significant number of people, me included, perhaps have a natural immunity.

Some colds are coronaviruses and if you catch them it acts like a vaccination against Covid. (much like the original Cowpox)

I believe it, but I think it is only a hypothesis at present.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » November 20th, 2020, 6:40 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:
johnhemming wrote:

I believe it, but I think it is only a hypothesis at present.

I think it has been accepted as being evidenced for quite some time. (months - even if the telegraph says it is news).

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 20th, 2020, 7:09 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
johnhemming wrote:

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Depends how long you leave them on for.....

:lol:

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » November 20th, 2020, 8:37 pm

Bit of an aside. What an astonishing family Jonathan Van Tam comes from. Just looked up on Wikipedia. How his father ended up in Boston Lincolnshire I have no idea.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 20th, 2020, 8:50 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:Bit of an aside. What an astonishing family Jonathan Van Tam comes from. Just looked up on Wikipedia. How his father ended up in Boston Lincolnshire I have no idea.

Yeah? But does he know his [expletive deleted] [not my words] from his elbow? Perhaps this man can help us with that?:

Yardley Yeadon @MichaelYeadon3
Replying to @MichaelYeadon3

And that’s what we’re seeing.
I cannot save us. I’m barred from mainstream TV & I’d be no good at it anyway. So we’re at the point where you, collectively, need to put a stop to this lethal deceit & nonsense. I don’t think Hancock or the PM know any of this. If every one of you..

:)

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”