Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

The vaccine

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: The vaccine

Postby tjh290633 » April 3rd, 2021, 11:16 pm

Had my second Pfizer yesterday. Unlike the first, I have a reaction of sorts.

The card I was given has a QR code on it. A route to a Vaccine Passport perhaps?

TJH

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » April 3rd, 2021, 11:40 pm

Remind me when you had the first. How time flies!

Apart from the antibody test you had pre-vaccine, have you been asked to have any more to see how well protected you are?

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 3rd, 2021, 11:58 pm

I am pleased to report I have finally, after many many visits to the re-booking site, managed to get offered a second jab appointment in Salisbury.

This seems mad given my GP is in Reading but I grabbed the Salisbury appointment anyway. There is a busy and thriving vaccination centre 1/4 of a mile away in Reading town centre where I had my first!

No mention on the booking site as to whether the second dose will be OxAZ to match my first. Would have been nice if they at least confirmed it would. It probably does match but I'll have to drive to Salisbury on the day to find out.

(Edit to add the bit about OxAZ, and then to correct a speeling mistake.)

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 4th, 2021, 12:02 am

From memory (correct me if I'm wrong) -
Second dose Pfizer - stronger reaction
Second dose Oxf-AZN- weaker reaction

On average....

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 4th, 2021, 12:05 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:From memory (correct me if I'm wrong) -

On average....

Happy to correct you that you're right...

I've read and heard the same on many occasions.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 4th, 2021, 12:13 am

Mike4 wrote:I am pleased to report I have finally, after many many visits to the re-booking site, managed to get offered a second jab appointment in Salisbury.

This seems mad given my GP is in Reading but I grabbed the Salisbury appointment anyway. There is a busy and thriving vaccination centre 1/4 of a mile away in Reading town centre where I had my first!

How did you come to get your first appointment? You seem to be relying on a 'push' system for your second. I just waited, lay back and thought of England, for both appointments. So my two were 'pull' appointments via text messages from my GP and I ended up going to the same local medical centre (not my GP's) both times.

Shortly after my first vaccination I did get an NHS text offer of an appointment for a first vaccination from UCH (University College Hospital London) which, under the circumstances, I ignored.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 4th, 2021, 12:20 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:From memory (correct me if I'm wrong) -

On average....

Me, typically no or hardly any "reaction".

First AstraZeneca vaccine: Temporary awareness of slight passing tenderness in arm, if pressed. Starting day after jab, over in two days.
Second AstraZeneca vaccine: See above.

Almost disappointed! Bit of an anti-climax.

(I MAY have had a hot flush on same day as first vaccine)
Last edited by XFool on April 4th, 2021, 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 4th, 2021, 12:20 am

Mike4 wrote:I am pleased to report I have finally, after many many visits to the re-booking site, managed to get offered a second jab appointment in Salisbury.

No mention on the booking site as to whether the second dose will be OxAZ to match my first. Would have been nice if they at least confirmed it would. It probably does match but I'll have to drive to Salisbury on the day to find out.

I assume my local GP group will contact me when second jab is available (a lovely dog-leg journey to Pangbourne, 3.5 miles as the crow flies, >10 miles on the train)

Salisbury - nice place, good chippy and some decent pubs. The Wyndham Arms - Hopback brewery tap :)

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 4th, 2021, 12:24 am

XFool wrote:

How did you come to get your first appointment? You seem to be relying on a 'push' system for your second. I just waited, lay back and thought of England, for both appointments. So my two were 'pull' appointments via text messages from my GP and I ended up going to the same local medical centre (not my GP's) both times.

Shortly after my first vaccination I did get an NHS text offer of an appointment for a first vaccination from UCH (University College Hospital London) which, under the circumstances, I ignored.

My GP called me and asked if I could get to the Reading vaccination centre in half an hour, as they had a cancellation to fill. Obviously I said YES PLEASE, and the person calling me seemed utterly delighted!! I got the impression they had been on the fone for hours trying to fill vacant appointments at short notice with little success.

Even if when I get to Salisbury the vaccine being dispensed is not OxAZ I think I'll go for it. Informed opinion seems to be divided on the issue but I suspect in the long term a different vaccine for the second dose might actually turn out to be better than a match. I think I'll take the chance.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » April 4th, 2021, 1:49 am

tjh290633 wrote:Had my second Pfizer yesterday. Unlike the first, I have a reaction of sorts. TJH

My second Pfizer was exactly 11 weeks after the first.

Felt quite tired for a couple of days.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 4th, 2021, 7:46 am

When did you have your first vaccine? Did you not get a date for the second at that time?

John

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 4th, 2021, 8:59 am

redsturgeon wrote:When did you have your first vaccine? Did you not get a date for the second at that time?

My wife was given a date for her second vaccination when she had her first. But I wasn't. The difference is probably that she was jabbed at a vaccination centre while mine was done at a doctor's surgery.

I did try the NHS vaccination website, but all it was offering me were three equidistant locations, all 55-plus miles away. And a neighbour has just had his second jab appointment cancelled at short notice. It seems they wanted to do something else with the building on that day. :roll:

Oh well, such hiccup stories are quite rare really. Right now, I'd rather be in the UK than in France or Germany.

BJ

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 4th, 2021, 9:10 am

redsturgeon wrote:When did you have your first vaccine? Did you not get a date for the second at that time?

Seems fairly random whether you get the 2nd appointment at the same time as the first, or not. I was vaccinated at a big centre in Scotland, and don't have a 2nd appointment yet. My parents got theirs earlier, and their initial letter had both dates on it.

I'm trusting that I will be contacted for the 2nd one, I won't be concerned unless it gets to almost 12 weeks after the 1st.

Scott.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » April 4th, 2021, 9:34 am

My next door neighbour had his first AZN jab at a vaccination centre and has a date for jab #2.

I had mine ( also AZN) at my doctor's surgery ....no date for the second vaccination.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 4th, 2021, 10:14 am

redsturgeon wrote:

When did you have your first vaccine? Did you not get a date for the second at that time?

John

Had my first vaccination at Garden Hall, Watlington House in Reading town centre. They were unable to issue me with a second appointment. They just wrote on my card "T.B.A.".

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » April 4th, 2021, 10:53 am

Mike4 wrote:
My GP called me and asked if I could get to the Reading vaccination centre in half an hour, as they had a cancellation to fill. Obviously I said YES PLEASE, and the person calling me seemed utterly delighted!! I got the impression they had been on the fone for hours trying to fill vacant appointments at short notice with little success.

Glad to see your oft repeated lack of faith in being offered your second dose

viewtopic.php?p=396568#p396568

turned out in practice to have been unjustified.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 4th, 2021, 11:00 am

dealtn wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

Glad to see your oft repeated lack of faith in being offered your second dose

viewtopic.php?p=396568#p396568

turned out in practice to have been unjustified.

It may have been offered, but it hasn't been administered yet. "Many a slip twixt cup and lip", as my mother used to say.

And of course, it provided little protection against the SA variant which I gather is now here in the UK.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » April 4th, 2021, 11:36 am

Bouleversee wrote:Remind me when you had the first. How time flies!

Apart from the antibody test you had pre-vaccine, have you been asked to have any more to see how well protected you are?

No, I have not.

TJH

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » April 4th, 2021, 6:04 pm

Are AZN being blamed for the recent J&J screw up (15 million doses lost)?

"AstraZeneca has been kicked out of a production plant in Baltimore after a mix-up is thought to have contaminated 15 million doses of a coronavirus vaccine produced by Johnson & Johnson."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/0 ... ne-mix-up/

"The Oxford/AstraZeneca jab has yet to obtain approval from the US Food and Drug Administration, but production of the vaccine has started in anticipation of a green light. It was being produced by a sub-contractor at a plant operated by Emergent BioSolutions in Baltimore. The plant was also manufacturing Johnson & Johnson's vaccines and workers at the factory mistakenly mixed the ingredients."

:roll:

(Possibly also reported in The Times which looks as though it takes a slightly different view such that AZN are being "kicked out" to stop possible mix ups from happening again, caused by a contractor called Emergent BioSolutions having screwed up!)
Last edited by monabri on April 4th, 2021, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » April 4th, 2021, 6:09 pm

monabri wrote:Are AZN being blamed for the recent J&J screw up (15 million doses lost)?

"AstraZeneca has been kicked out of a production plant in Baltimore after a mix-up is thought to have contaminated 15 million doses of a coronavirus vaccine produced by Johnson & Johnson."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/0 ... ne-mix-up/

"The Oxford/AstraZeneca jab has yet to obtain approval from the US Food and Drug Administration, but production of the vaccine has started in anticipation of a green light. It was being produced by a sub-contractor at a plant operated by Emergent BioSolutions in Baltimore. The plant was also manufacturing Johnson & Johnson's vaccines and workers at the factory mistakenly mixed the ingredients."

:roll:

(Possibly also reported in The Times)

How are AZN blamed if it's the sub-contractor responsible (I haven't read the link)?

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”