Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Vaccine straw poll

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool

Have you been vaccinated?

I've been Pfizered (or have appointment for it)
19%
I've been AstraZenecad (or have appointment for it)
61%
I've been Modernad (or have appointment for it)
1%
I've had AN Other (e.g. in a trial - placebo will do nicely if you don't know, or abroad).
2%
I won't have a covid vaccine (I've had covid, so I should have antibodies).
No votes
I won't have a covid vaccine (I haven't had it, but have a problem with vaccines).
1%
I'm still waiting to be invited.
17%

Total votes: 124

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Vaccine straw poll

Postby XFool » March 2nd, 2021, 9:36 am

bluedonkey wrote:We're all virologists now.

Allegedly. :lol:

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » March 2nd, 2021, 11:14 am

Lootman wrote:
Julian wrote:Also effectiveness against transmission?

Not a realistic criterion since obviously even someone vaccinated up the wazoo could breathe in a mouthful of virus and then immediately breathe it out all over someone else. The point of a vaccination is surely that:

1) Any virus in your body is neutralised more quickly, and so:

2) The amount of time you are infectious is thereby greatly reduced, and:

3) You won't get symptoms and so you won't be coughing and sneezing over others.

Effectiveness doesn't automatically imply 100% prevention, there are varying degrees of efficacy against all of the metrics that Mike mentioned.

Also, I'm not a virologist or have any sort of expertise in any appropriate area but I have heard more than one virologist on TV talking about the concept of "sterilising immunity" as the gold standard for vaccines which (if I understood it correctly) is when a vaccine is able to totally block a virus even getting into any of the hosts cells. Since viruses need to use apparatus within the hosts' cells to replicate (e.g. ribosomes to make the proteins for new viral particles) if they can't do that then breathe in a million virus particles and that's all your body ever gets, and as you say many of those are probably immediately breathed out again since that can't latch on to anything in the host.

In the case of a vaccine capable of sterilising immunity I assume that would break the transmission chain. I'm not sure how a virologist or epidemiologist would characterise your example of simply breathing in a lungful of air containing viral particles and breathing it out again. In that case the person involved hasn't given the viral particles the opportunity to replicate, i.e. grow in numbers, that person has simply redistributed what was in the air already so acting more like an air conditioner (without a Hepa or equivalent filter) or a contaminated surface rather than part of a human transmission chain.

Sadly of course none of the current SARS-CoV-2 vaccines, good as many are, are at the level of sterilising immunity.

- Julian

gadjet
Lemon Pip

Postby gadjet » March 2nd, 2021, 5:14 pm

I was Pfizered in January (age 79). Had to wait 15 minutes afterwards as I was going to drive home. No ill-effects.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 8th, 2021, 5:46 pm

Snorvey wrote:Astra-oxford for me today. Very impressed with the local operation - although the bright pink cast and my stoic insistence that I was fine on my crutches smoothed the way immeasurably, I'm sure.

I spent more time chatting with the nurses about my busted leg who were ooooohing over my xray photos...... which is very soothing.

...Now I have to find a way of keeping it on long enough for the second jab.

Sounds like you've found how to generate side-effects in your favour. :D

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » March 8th, 2021, 6:24 pm

:twisted: Went with the Trump advocated choice ... disinfectant. Not having any to hand however and hearing that Vodka can be used as a mild disinfectant I've been ingesting that regularly. Trump also said that sunshine can help, so Vodka and Sunkist orange. So far haven't caught Covid AFAIK whilst my 89 year old mother caught Covid 3 weeks after a Pfizer jab given on January 8th and has so far experienced no symptoms whatsoever.

In the way of comparison, in Russia where Vodka is obviously widely taken on a regular basis, despite twice the population size as the UK deaths are around half as many. Others however believe Russian figures are understated by a factor of three, so the jury is still out on the Vodka and Sunkist. :twisted:

More seriously ... I'm due for my jab tomorrow and upon phoning today to confirm the appointment I was informed they'll be issuing the AZN doses (out of a local Church hall).

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 8th, 2021, 6:28 pm

Snorvey wrote:Astra-oxford for me today. Very impressed with the local operation - although the bright pink cast and my stoic insistence that I was fine on my crutches smoothed the way immeasurably, I'm sure.

I spent more time chatting with the nurses about my busted leg who were ooooohing over my xray photos...... which is very soothing.

If it's as bad as the damage caused by a skiing accident I had in my dim-distant youth, you'll have it on for at least 6 months which should be more than long enough. :lol:

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » March 8th, 2021, 6:32 pm

Bouleversee wrote:

If it's as bad as the damage caused by a skiing accident I had in my dim-distant youth, you'll have it on for at least 6 months which should be more than long enough. :lol:

Contrast and compare: viewtopic.php?p=388012#p388012

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 8th, 2021, 7:14 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:

Contrast and compare: viewtopic.php?p=388012#p388012[/quote

Pah! No comparison. No pics but just imagine yourself sitting on the snow with half your lower leg at right angles to the other half, held together by skin; ski bindings didn't work! The blood wagon descent was quite exciting but the 3 weeks in traction less so. The new arrivals to the villa I had been staying in were brought in to visit me on their way there as a warning. Visible blanching! When eventually set with knee bent so I couldn't put any weight on that leg, I had pins sticking out of the plaster on each side of my leg. I had been working for NATO in Paris and the ski holiday was a jaunt on the way back to London to start a new job with a film company, which I had to let go. After rusticating with parents in Yorks. for over 6 months I went back to London to look for a new job and despite turning up on crutches, got the first one I applied for. Don't know how I had the nerve. The confidence of youth!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 14th, 2021, 11:35 am

I see there is some movement evident here from waiting to vaccinated. "Still waiting" down from fortysomething to 34% today, perhaps further if not everyone who's been done updated their vote here.

To be expected, of course.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 14th, 2021, 1:14 pm

Got my letter for appointment yesterday, being vaccinated on Thursday. Local Facebook chat indicates the 60-65 age group is being done in volume next week. I'm not 60 until over a week later, but I understand they're using 31st March as the cutoff date.

(Scotland, NHS Lothian)

Scott.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » March 14th, 2021, 2:26 pm

swill453 wrote:Local Facebook chat indicates the 60-65 age group is being done in volume next week. I'm not 60 until over a week later, but I understand they're using 31st March as the cutoff date.
(Scotland, NHS Lothian)

You're way behind then. We're into the 50-55s this week - Lincolnshire.

Gryff

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 14th, 2021, 2:35 pm

I've got mine on Thursday up at Pangbourne - I could have got a slightly earlier one but the travel was a bit inconvenient (and possibly riskier, being a bus rather than a 90% empty train)
I'm 55 - West Berks is on the 55 and over group (and may have started the next down?)

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 14th, 2021, 4:41 pm

gryffron wrote:
swill453 wrote:Local Facebook chat indicates the 60-65 age group is being done in volume next week. I'm not 60 until over a week later, but I understand they're using 31st March as the cutoff date.
(Scotland, NHS Lothian)

You're way behind then. We're into the 50-55s this week - Lincolnshire.

Yes, the countries are at similar rates (England 35.7%, Scotland 34.1%) but there are a lot of local variations. I think Scotland have done a lot of 2nd doses in care homes, which is time consuming and drags the numbers down.

Scott.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 14th, 2021, 7:57 pm

Astrazened first jab yesterday. 59 y.o. Midlands. No side effects other than perhaps a bit tired today ( watching Morse, though, so that might explain the preponderance to nod off! ;) ).

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » March 16th, 2021, 11:25 am

AZ this morning, Chelmsford City Racecourse. Very efficient, I was told to go to a building (the ticket office) five minutes before my appointment where I was booked in. Next was a pleasant five-minute walk which led through a tunnel under the racetrack to the main pavilion. Buggy rides were available to those less able. I had filled in the questionnaire online so I was just asked if anything had changed before being given my card and told where to wait. Less than a minute later, I was directed to a jab station. It took about 15 minutes including two five-minute walks.

If it had been raining, the experience would have been less pleasant.

Julian F. G. W.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » March 20th, 2021, 10:14 am

I was AZ'd yesterday, at my local surgery, very efficient. 45 minutes out of the house, including walking to and from the surgery.

That makes me average as 50% of the adult population have now been vaccinated. I note that as of now 72% of LF's voting have been vacinated.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 20th, 2021, 2:19 pm

Gersemi wrote:I was AZ'd yesterday, at my local surgery, very efficient. 45 minutes out of the house, including walking to and from the surgery.

That makes me average as 50% of the adult population have now been vaccinated. I note that as of now 72% of LF's voting have been vacinated.

Now, if we were smart, we could estimate the average age of Lemon Fool members...

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 24th, 2021, 6:26 pm

Just received text message giving link to make appointment for second coronavirus vaccination. Received first on 26 January, just over 8 weeks ago.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 24th, 2021, 10:36 pm

Likewise. I have booked my second jab for Good Friday afternoon.

TJH

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 7th, 2021, 3:03 pm

I didn't know at the time this poll started, but it seems today's headline is that rollout of Moderna has now started. Wonder how long before the first Fool gets it?

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”