Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Vaccine straw poll

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool

Have you been vaccinated?

I've been Pfizered (or have appointment for it)
19%
I've been AstraZenecad (or have appointment for it)
61%
I've been Modernad (or have appointment for it)
1%
I've had AN Other (e.g. in a trial - placebo will do nicely if you don't know, or abroad).
2%
I won't have a covid vaccine (I've had covid, so I should have antibodies).
No votes
I won't have a covid vaccine (I haven't had it, but have a problem with vaccines).
1%
I'm still waiting to be invited.
17%

Total votes: 124

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Vaccine straw poll

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 27th, 2021, 8:59 pm

Surprised to be invited for my vaccine, just five weeks after my dad got it, posting a straw poll here.

Currently the UK regulator has approved three vaccines. Have you had - or made an appointment for - at least one shot?

I've ticked the option to let you update your vote when your situation changes.

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Vaccine straw poll

Postby swill453 » February 28th, 2021, 5:26 am

As far as I know, you don't get told in advance what brand you're going to get. So if you have an appointment, you won't know what option to select.

Scott.

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » February 28th, 2021, 6:07 am

Pfizer for me, AZ for Mrs. No preference either way.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » February 28th, 2021, 6:27 am

"I won't have a covid vaccine (I've had covid, so I should have antibodies)."

This raises an interesting question the media never discusses. Yes you "should" have antibodies but not everybody does, apparently. But antibodies are not the only result of being vaccinated AFAIK, the body learns other ways of combating future infection from both being vaccinated and from actually being infected apart from sprouting antibodies.

So the question is, are "being vaccinated" and "having had a positive PCR test result" analogous in terms of future protection?

And if yes, what level of protection does having a positive PCR test give from future infection/mild illness/severe illness/hospitalisation in comparison to vaccination? Better or worse than the 90%-ish we get from vaccines? Presumably there has been a tonne of research on this point but the media doesn't seem to ever look at it.

A final question in my mind is if one has already acquired an unknown degree of resistance from being historically infected with coronavirus asymptomatically, is resistance increased by being vaccinated as well? To what degree?

And finally finally, is "I've already had COVID" a valid reason to refuse vaccination, socially speaking?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 28th, 2021, 9:09 am

swill453 wrote:As far as I know, you don't get told in advance what brand you're going to get. So if you have an appointment, you won't know what option to select.

Scott.

I got the text from my GP: phone us to arrange your jab. I phoned them (with some difficulty), and at that point they told me which vaccine I was due.

But agreed, that might not be the same for everyone.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » February 28th, 2021, 10:56 am

Mike4 wrote:And finally finally, is "I've already had COVID" a valid reason to refuse vaccination, socially speaking?

Not if you want a 'passport' it's not.

V8

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 28th, 2021, 11:10 am

Mike4 wrote:"I won't have a covid vaccine (I've had covid, so I should have antibodies)."

This raises an interesting question the media never discusses. Yes you "should" have antibodies but not everybody does, apparently. But antibodies are not the only result of being vaccinated AFAIK, the body learns other ways of combating future infection from both being vaccinated and from actually being infected apart from sprouting antibodies.

So the question is, are "being vaccinated" and "having had a positive PCR test result" analogous in terms of future protection?

No. Both will protect to some degree, it will be different in different individuals. In the same way the the Pfizer vac does not give identical protection to the AZ vac.

And if yes, what level of protection does having a positive PCR test give from future infection/mild illness/severe illness/hospitalisation in comparison to vaccination? Better or worse than the 90%-ish we get from vaccines? Presumably there has been a tonne of research on this point but the media doesn't seem to ever look at it.

Who knows. As we do know, the numbers of individuals getting reinfected has been very small but the effect of new variants could alter this.

A final question in my mind is if one has already acquired an unknown degree of resistance from being historically infected with coronavirus asymptomatically, is resistance increased by being vaccinated as well? To what degree?

Probably but how would you research this?

And finally finally, is "I've already had COVID" a valid reason to refuse vaccination, socially speaking?

Depends who you are talking to.

John

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » February 28th, 2021, 11:11 am

88V8 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:And finally finally, is "I've already had COVID" a valid reason to refuse vaccination, socially speaking?

Not if you want a 'passport' it's not.

V8

Which of course is unrelated to the question I asked, and you quoted :)

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » February 28th, 2021, 12:15 pm

EssDeeAitch wrote:Pfizer for me, AZ for Mrs. No preference either way.

AZ for me, Pfizer for Mrs. No preference either way.

mike
Lemon Slice

Postby mike » February 28th, 2021, 2:17 pm

I had my Pfizer jab yesterday.

After having being vaccinated, they were directing those who had been given the Pfizer to rest for 15 minutes, those who had had the AZ being free to go.

So the same centre on the same day was using the two vaccines.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » February 28th, 2021, 2:30 pm

mike wrote:I had my Pfizer jab yesterday.

After having being vaccinated, they were directing those who had been given the Pfizer to rest for 15 minutes, those who had had the AZ being free to go.

AZ for me at Dr's surgery - in and out in a few minutes
Pfizer at a mass vaccination site for Mrs. Vaccination followed by a 15 minute rest before release.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 28th, 2021, 4:37 pm

Was this one of these huge venues that's been commandeered for mass-vaccination?

Mine was at the GP surgery, which suits me nicely. I'd expected AZ given the logistics of a relatively small venue, but they had Pfizer, and rows of ... umm ... well spaced out zombies sitting out their waits (and were happy with my request to sit outside rather than in).

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » February 28th, 2021, 4:47 pm

Interesting. After my AZ jab I was asked to wait 15 minutes. On reflection, this may be because I had said that I would be driving myself home.

Watis

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 28th, 2021, 5:00 pm

Watis wrote:

Interesting. After my AZ jab I was asked to wait 15 minutes. On reflection, this may be because I had said that I would be driving myself home.

When I had the AstraZeneca vaccine drivers were told to wait in their car for about 15 minutes. I walked there so could just leave immediately.

mike
Lemon Slice

Postby mike » February 28th, 2021, 5:55 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:

Was this one of these huge venues that's been commandeered for mass-vaccination?

Mine was at the GP surgery, which suits me nicely. I'd expected AZ given the logistics of a relatively small venue, but they had Pfizer, and rows of ... umm ... well spaced out zombies sitting out their waits (and were happy with my request to sit outside rather than in).

No, but not my own doctor's surgery, the GP's surgery in the town next door. It was not at a mass vaccination centre.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 28th, 2021, 10:07 pm

No Modernas?

At the time it was approved, the government was reported[1] as having ordered several million doses. So what happened to them?

I'm sure whatever population immunity vaccination gives us will be strengthened by a mix of vaccines!

[1] e.g. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55586410

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » February 28th, 2021, 11:27 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:No Modernas?

At the time it was approved, the government was reported[1] as having ordered several million doses. So what happened to them?

I'm sure whatever population immunity vaccination gives us will be strengthened by a mix of vaccines!

[1] e.g. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55586410

From your link:
"The UK has pre-ordered 17 million doses of the Moderna vaccine - 10 million more than planned - but supplies are not expected to arrive until spring."

Peripherally, I wonder what the difference is between "pre-ordering", and "ordering" doses of vaccine.

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » March 1st, 2021, 8:00 am

I am part of a trial - the Novavax vaccine, so I voted accordingly.

I have been unblinded (at the point I was offered a vaccine by the NHS) and have found out that I have already had 2 doses of Novavax back in October and November 2020 (3 weeks apart).

It is reported as having 89% efficacy based on initial results, and protection against UK and S African variants, so I am happy.

Emergency approval from the MHRA is expected in the next month or so.

Good luck to everyone having the vaccine, let's hope they all turn out to be effective.

FD

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » March 1st, 2021, 8:54 am

Mike4 wrote:Peripherally, I wonder what the difference is between "pre-ordering", and "ordering" doses of vaccine.

Pre-ordering before approval, ordering after?

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » March 1st, 2021, 8:55 am

If anyone is over 60 and has not had the jab then they are now inviting them to book directly without waiting to be invited - https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavir ... ccination/

For those younger, with 1.8m in the 60 to 65 group if the current vaccination rate continues (supplies being available, etc.) then the 2.4m in the 55 to 60 and 2.8m in the 50 to 55 group should be in the next two weeks or so.

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”