Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Vaccine side effects poll

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool

If you have had a covid vaccine did you experience side effects

I had the Pfizer vaccine and had no side effects
14%
I had the Pfizer vaccine and had very mild side effects
10%
I had the Pfizer vaccine and had some side effects
1%
I had the Pfizer vaccine and had bad side effects
No votes
I had the AZ vaccine and had no side effects
32%
I had the AZ vaccine and had very mild side effects
27%
I had the AZ vaccine and had some side effects
13%
I had the AZ vaccine and had bad side effects
3%

Total votes: 143

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Re: Vaccine side effects poll

Postby absolutezero » March 5th, 2021, 3:59 pm

Lootman wrote:
absolutezero wrote:Two weeks since I had the AZN jab.
I have developed a yuk feeling. Headache. That nasty bodily aching feeling you get when ill. Lethargy. What I can only describe as 'dizziness' but the room isn't spinning.
All vital signs normal. Temp, BP, heart rate, oxygen sats.
May, of course, be nothing to do with the jab at all.

Last year my doctor was trying to persuade me to have a flu jab. I told him that the one time before that I had had a flu jab, I was as sick as a dog afterwards, and so never had one again.

He replied that when people have any kind of jab, they blame that jab for any sickness they feel in the following days and weeks, when often the two things are unrelated.

Soreness at the site seems fairly obvious. But the rest is just guesswork. At six days after my second jab, I have no symptoms or side-effects.

I'm inclined to agree. I suspect what I have now (2 weeks after the jab) is unrelated.
But given I have little to no contact with the outside world and none of the people I have seen since being jabbed have had any illness symptoms, I am at a bit of a loss.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 5th, 2021, 4:34 pm

I poston behalf of my mum, who is 85 and had the Pfizer vaccine in late Jan or early February (can't remember), with the second scheduled for late April. I'm not happy about the long gap since It's important to get the T-cell memory stimulated asap. I'm pleased that she didn't have the AZN vaccine. I know it's the cheapest of all the vaccines, but given the difference in efficiency, I don't think its lower price justifies the potential problems that may arise in the future.

I did hear that a plan may be underway to combine the AZN with the Russian Sputnik vaccine that uses a different Adenovirus to deliver the vaccine, but all this is from colleagues who work in the field and nothing decided officially. If a vaccine has only 65% efficiency, then it's just kicking the can down the road. Why not bite the bullet and vaccinate everyone with whatever is considered the best?

Steve

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » March 5th, 2021, 5:25 pm

stevensfo wrote:I poston behalf of my mum, who is 85 and had the Pfizer vaccine in late Jan or early February (can't remember), with the second scheduled for late April. I'm not happy about the long gap since It's important to get the T-cell memory stimulated asap. I'm pleased that she didn't have the AZN vaccine. I know it's the cheapest of all the vaccines, but given the difference in efficiency, I don't think its lower price justifies the potential problems that may arise in the future.

I did hear that a plan may be underway to combine the AZN with the Russian Sputnik vaccine that uses a different Adenovirus to deliver the vaccine, but all this is from colleagues who work in the field and nothing decided officially. If a vaccine has only 65% efficiency, then it's just kicking the can down the road. Why not bite the bullet and vaccinate everyone with whatever is considered the best?

Steve

I'm not sure your criticism of the AZN vaccine is valid. The latest science appears to show AZN about the same as Pfizer, for single dose, without the apparent drop-off of Pfizer (although data is difficult to analysis due to scarcity of AZN samples over 6 weeks). Data on the double dose efficacy isn't available yet for obvious reasons. On the whole those those "potential problems" might not exist.

Your 65% efficacy concern looks too low too given the scientific data too.

https://khub.net/documents/135939561/43 ... 4617945615

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » March 5th, 2021, 5:29 pm

There should be positive effects in the poll - the very relief of getting the inoculation almost the oldies around this neck of the woods have resulted in a rapid onset of Ugandan discussions.

T7 ;) ;) ;)

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 5th, 2021, 5:44 pm

absolutezero wrote:Two weeks since I had the AZN jab.
I have developed a yuk feeling. Headache. That nasty bodily aching feeling you get when ill. Lethargy. What I can only describe as 'dizziness' but the room isn't spinning.
All vital signs normal. Temp, BP, heart rate, oxygen sats.
May, of course, be nothing to do with the jab at all.

Which of course is one problem with the "Poll". :)

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » March 5th, 2021, 5:47 pm

stevensfo wrote:I poston behalf of my mum, who is 85 and had the Pfizer vaccine in late Jan or early February (can't remember), with the second scheduled for late April. I'm not happy about the long gap since It's important to get the T-cell memory stimulated asap. I'm pleased that she didn't have the AZN vaccine. I know it's the cheapest of all the vaccines, but given the difference in efficiency, I don't think its lower price justifies the potential problems that may arise in the future.

Steve

https://www.sortiraparis.com/news/coron ... fi/lang/en

“As for the Scottish study, it proved – based on vaccination, death toll, admission, hospitalization toll data between December 8, 2020 and January 15, 2021 – the number of severe infections dropped by 85% in people vaccinated with Pfizer and 94% in those given AstraZeneca vaccine. As for people aged 80+, hospitalization risk also dropped by 81%, whatever vaccine has been used… “

More authoritative but less readable source:
https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n523

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 5th, 2021, 6:00 pm

stevensfo wrote:I poston behalf of my mum, who is 85 and had the Pfizer vaccine in late Jan or early February (can't remember), with the second scheduled for late April. I'm not happy about the long gap since It's important to get the T-cell memory stimulated asap.

Yet we know now that the UK's single shot policy is proving effective.

stevensfo wrote:I'm pleased that she didn't have the AZN vaccine.

I'm entirely happy to have had the AstraZeneca vaccine. :)

stevensfo wrote:I know it's the cheapest of all the vaccines, but given the difference in efficiency, I don't think its lower price justifies the potential problems that may arise in the future.

It's "the cheapest" largely because it is being supplied at cost. I think your "difference in efficiency" is likely more imaginary than anything else. It rests on comparing small differences in quoted figures for effectiveness in trials. But this is likely comparing apples to oranges given the trials of different vaccines are not standardised. You would need to analyse the published material on the trials themselves to see exactly what each trial was measuring in detail. What we know now is that they all work.

stevensfo wrote:I did hear that a plan may be underway to combine the AZN with the Russian Sputnik vaccine that uses a different Adenovirus to deliver the vaccine, but all this is from colleagues who work in the field and nothing decided officially. If a vaccine has only 65% efficiency, then it's just kicking the can down the road. Why not bite the bullet and vaccinate everyone with whatever is considered the best?

When the vaccines were ordered, nobody knew which was "the best", or even if any of them would work at all. Now we know they all work! (Apart from one which fell by the wayside.)

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 5th, 2021, 6:22 pm

XFool wrote:
stevensfo wrote:I poston behalf of my mum, who is 85 and had the Pfizer vaccine in late Jan or early February (can't remember), with the second scheduled for late April. I'm not happy about the long gap since It's important to get the T-cell memory stimulated asap.

Yet we know now that the UK's single shot policy is proving effective.

stevensfo wrote:I'm pleased that she didn't have the AZN vaccine.

I'm entirely happy to have had the AstraZeneca vaccine. :)

stevensfo wrote:I know it's the cheapest of all the vaccines, but given the difference in efficiency, I don't think its lower price justifies the potential problems that may arise in the future.

It's "the cheapest" largely because it is being supplied at cost. I think your "difference in efficiency" is likely more imaginary than anything else. It rests on comparing small differences in quoted figures for effectiveness in trials. But this is likely comparing apples to oranges given the trials of different vaccines are not standardised. You would need to analyse the published material on the trials themselves to see exactly what each trial was measuring in detail. What we know now is that they all work.

stevensfo wrote:I did hear that a plan may be underway to combine the AZN with the Russian Sputnik vaccine that uses a different Adenovirus to deliver the vaccine, but all this is from colleagues who work in the field and nothing decided officially. If a vaccine has only 65% efficiency, then it's just kicking the can down the road. Why not bite the bullet and vaccinate everyone with whatever is considered the best?

When the vaccines were ordered, nobody knew which was "the best", or even if any of them would work at all. Now we know they all work! (Apart from one which fell by the wayside.)

Apologies if I ruffled any feathers. But the devil in me likes to keep the discussion hot, rather than toe a party/nationalistic line. Maybe I'm wrong, but I had the impression it was starting to get to the stage of AZN=UK and the other vaccines= the foreigners. 8-)

I sincerely hope that whatever policy the world decides, we will save lives and get out of this mess.

Steve

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » March 5th, 2021, 6:27 pm

stevensfo wrote:
Apologies if I ruffled any feathers. But the devil in me likes to keep the discussion hot, rather than toe a party/nationalistic line.

Who is toeing a party or nationalistic line?
The Astra Zeneca vaccine is proving to be highly effective at preventing serious illness, hospitalisations and deaths (as based on real world data).

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 5th, 2021, 7:02 pm

absolutezero wrote:
stevensfo wrote:
Apologies if I ruffled any feathers. But the devil in me likes to keep the discussion hot, rather than toe a party/nationalistic line.

Who is toeing a party or nationalistic line?
The Astra Zeneca vaccine is proving to be highly effective at preventing serious illness, hospitalisations and deaths (as based on real world data).

Great. The anniversary of the start of the pandemic has just passed. Fingers crossed.

Steve

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » March 5th, 2021, 10:47 pm

stevensfo wrote:I sincerely hope that whatever policy the world decides, we will save lives and get out of this mess.

Australia averted the Spanish flu a century ago by border controls. Nice being a 'island' as that better facilitates such policies. For Covid they've endured 909 deaths in total. Taiwan has had just 9 deaths. The British Isles ... well there's been no lockdown, no border controls. One if not the highest death rates per capita. We're just lucky that it wasn't a much more severe/fatal virus. Surely someone should be held accountable for such incompetence!

bee12345

Postby bee12345 » March 5th, 2021, 11:15 pm

I had the AZ vaccine at 3:40pm, and felt fine for the rest of the afternoon and evening. Went to bed at 9:30 which is earlier than usual for me because of needing to have an early start the following morning. Took a couple of paracetamol before going to bed because I'd heard it would be a good idea.

I had no sleep apart from 45 minutes at 4:45. I had set my alarm for 5:45 to get ready to go out to work. When I realised I wasn't going to get a decent amount of sleep, I sent an email to colleagues at 3am to say that I was cancelling the alarm and wouldn't be at work that day.

Felt really nauseous all night. My husband said I was burning up, but I felt soooo cold. My hands and feet were like blocks of ice. Stabbing pains in random places all over my body. Constant abdominal pain. Some pain in my lower back.

It was horrid, and I spent the rest of that day in bed. The following night wasn't great, but it was much better than the first night.

Having said all of that - i am glad I had the vaccine, and although it sounds like I will get the same or worse side effects when I get the second dose, I'll still have that second dose.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 5th, 2021, 11:46 pm

bee12345 wrote:I had the AZ vaccine at 3:40pm, and felt fine for the rest of the afternoon and evening. Went to bed at 9:30 which is earlier than usual for me because of needing to have an early start the following morning. Took a couple of paracetamol before going to bed because I'd heard it would be a good idea.

Can you normally get away with that?

If I go to bed early for an early start, I'll be unable to sleep, and it might lead to something tending towards your story.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 6th, 2021, 2:48 am

bee12345 wrote:I had the AZ vaccine at 3:40pm, and felt fine for the rest of the afternoon and evening. Went to bed at 9:30 which is earlier than usual for me because of needing to have an early start the following morning. Took a couple of paracetamol before going to bed because I'd heard it would be a good idea.

I had no sleep apart from 45 minutes at 4:45. I had set my alarm for 5:45 to get ready to go out to work. When I realised I wasn't going to get a decent amount of sleep, I sent an email to colleagues at 3am to say that I was cancelling the alarm and wouldn't be at work that day.

Felt really nauseous all night. My husband said I was burning up, but I felt soooo cold. My hands and feet were like blocks of ice. Stabbing pains in random places all over my body. Constant abdominal pain. Some pain in my lower back.

It was horrid, and I spent the rest of that day in bed. The following night wasn't great, but it was much better than the first night.

Having said all of that - i am glad I had the vaccine, and although it sounds like I will get the same or worse side effects when I get the second dose, I'll still have that second dose.

I had similar. I was OxAZed at 2.30pm on Friday 31st Jan and felt fine until early evening when I began to feel chilled, cold and not too well. Turned the heating up to 24c, lit the log fire and struggled to feel warm all evening. Realised I felt really ill in the most general of terms with no specific symptoms beyond being so cold and went to bed early. Could not sleep and stayed awake all night. Finally gave in and took paracetamol at about 6am Saturday morning and immediately felt better and fell asleep. Stayed in bed for the rest of the weekend as exhausted, sleeping for about 4 hours, awake for 2 all through until about 6pm Sunday night when it all turned off like a switch and suddenly I felt fine again, and back to normal.

Oh, except for a mild but persistent headache on the right side of my head which carried on for about two weeks, then vanished.

I've read some suggestions that a strong reaction to the first dose of AZ means the body recognises it from a previous infection and has already learned how to fight it off, which is what the symptoms mean is happening. Of all the people I've spoken to about their reaction to a first dose of AZ, most say none whatsoever but perhaps 1 in 6 recounts an experience similar to you and me.

I too will deffly have the second dose if it gets offered, but I have a feeling it never will be offered, somehow.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » March 6th, 2021, 7:52 am

Mike4 wrote:I too will deffly have the second dose if it gets offered, but I have a feeling it never will be offered, somehow.

Just go online to book your second jab - anyone who has had the first jab can do it now at https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavir ... ccination/ - yes I know the website doesn't say that but once you put in your details it recognises you had the first dose. The site then gives you the earliest dates for the second dose.

I had my first one yesterday (feeling fine but a bit stiff, although that might be down to wheelbarrowing two tonnes of soil in the garden before going for the jab!) and the earliest I could book the second jab was in 11 weeks time.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 6th, 2021, 8:24 am

AF62 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:I too will deffly have the second dose if it gets offered, but I have a feeling it never will be offered, somehow.

Just go online to book your second jab - anyone who has had the first jab can do it now at https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavir ... ccination/ - yes I know the website doesn't say that but once you put in your details it recognises you had the first dose. The site then gives you the earliest dates for the second dose.

I had my first one yesterday (feeling fine but a bit stiff, although that might be down to wheelbarrowing two tonnes of soil in the garden before going for the jab!) and the earliest I could book the second jab was in 11 weeks time.

Hmmm thank you. I tried that but it gave no option to specify which vaccine I was booking (to match the AZ I had first time around), so I lost confidence in it and did not finish the booking process.

Nor do I see how they could, given the way staff at these centres say they never know which vaccine they will get unti the day. Therefore I conclude, 2nd doses will not be matched to first doses and I'm not sure I consent to that.
\

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 6th, 2021, 8:30 am

Mike4 wrote:
AF62 wrote:

Hmmm thank you. I tried that but it gave no option to specify which vaccine I was booking (to match the AZ I had first time around), so I lost confidence in it and did not finish the booking process.

Nor do I see how they could, given the way staff at these centres say they never know which vaccine they will get unti the day. Therefore I conclude, 2nd doses will not be matched to first doses and I'm not sure I consent to that.
\

The softwre record must know which dose you have had, and I would expect them to sort it out! Failing that. I would reason that two single doses of different vaccines are probably better than one single dose. Failing that discuss it with your GP.

In my view, any of those routes is better than only having one jab.

Arb.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » March 6th, 2021, 8:41 am

Mike4 wrote:
AF62 wrote:

\

Do you think there might be a reason why they ask for your NHS number? Do you think there might be a reason records are noted down at the vaccination centre?

Is it possible there is a system, or you really conclude it is more likely to be random allocation and luck?

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 6th, 2021, 8:54 am

Arborbridge wrote:
The softwre record must know which dose you have had, and I would expect them to sort it out! Failing that. I would reason that two single doses of different vaccines are probably better than one single dose. Failing that discuss it with your GP.

In my view, any of those routes is better than only having one jab.

Arb.

Your faith in NHS programming is touching given the history to date!

Yes I too expected it to look up my first dose but I also expected it to tell me what it was and assure me my second dose would be matched, but no it doesn't do that. Why not (I find myself wondering)? What a confidence-damaging piece of software whatever the answer.

Like you I'm inclined to think two differing vaccine are perhaps ok but in the absence of any meaningful research on this so far, I'm not really up for taking part in the ad hoc trial. More specifically, given these centres don't know what they will me administering until the day, I suspect I might even be refused when they see AZ on my card if they happen to be dishing out Pfizer on that day.

I don't see what possible difference talking to my GP can make, other than allowing him to blag me into taking whatever the vaccination centre is dispensing on the day of my appointment. Or alternatively convincing me I should refuse a non-matching on the day and waste a vaccination appointment. And either way I suspect he won't really know any better than you or me, given the absence of research on vaccine mixing.

It would be a trivial bit of programming for the booking site to display what vaccine I'd had first time around if it knew, and what the vaccine site will be dispensing on the day of my booking if it knew, therefore I conclude it actually doesn't know one or both, and I won't be finding out what until I turn up on the day.

I can't be the only one displaying unexpected 2nd dose "vaccine hesitancy" for this reason.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » March 6th, 2021, 9:10 am

I had the Astra Zeneca jab yesterday.

I woke up at 4am with some of the symptoms of mild flu - bad muscle aches all over and feeling spaced out. The worst of it lasted about an hour. Feeling 80% better now, just a bit tired and headachy.

Highly unlikely to be a coincidence IMHO, especially because I know of others who have had reactions afterwards. I certainly don't regret having the jab but I feel my antibodies must now be well primed, so I wonder about the necessity of a second jab.

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”